Discovery Down Under - flight question

beansf

Mouseketeer
Okay, I know I am probably jumping the gun since my trip isn't until 01/09, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to when to purchase the flight.

Also, I did ask for ABD to assist with my flight arrangements and I was wondering if anyone knew when I might hear from them. I am within the 330 day window for booking.

So far, the prices I have seen for flights from SFO - CNS have been steeper than I expected. Is it because I am too far out?

Speculation welcome :)

I don't know what the deal is...but I am going in 1/09 also

Booked my flight in March with Air New Zealand.

We're heading down in Dec and booked quite some time ago because I'm using freq flyer seats.

What I've found from watching the airfare for those routes is they seem to hold pretty steady due to the limited competition. There are sale fares from time to time but those are usually so close in you can't depend on that.

My feeling is, scout out the typical fares for your route on multiple dates of rht year. Keeping in mind peak season there is winter here. Then when you find one that is "reasonable"...book it. You'll sleep better having your flights exactly when you want them and with the correct routing, rather than waiting too long for a sale, then not getting dates, flights or cities even that you were trying to get because they are getting sold out.

Just check like Kayak, Orbitz, etc and check different times of the year to see where fares are selling. Good luck!!

i was in australia and new zeland for 4 months this summer i found cheap tickets on www.itasoftware.com i found better prices there then on kayak...and fyi it was cheaper for me to fly directly to auckland new zealand then to australia...hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the replies. I guess the snag was "meant to be" because when I got home from work I had a call from ABD. After several months of being on the waitlist, we were able to move our reservation from the Jan. '09 trip to the Oct. '08! This is the trip that we were originally wanting to go on! :banana: Also, when we checked the airfare for the October trip, the fare was $700 less per person than what I was seeing for January. I have no idea why...

Hey, thanks for the replies. I guess the snag was "meant to be" because when I got home from work I had a call from ABD. After several months of being on the waitlist, we were able to move our reservation from the Jan. '09 trip to the Oct. '08! This is the trip that we were originally wanting to go on! :banana: Also, when we checked the airfare for the October trip, the fare was $700 less per person than what I was seeing for January. I have no idea why...

Probably the reason for the higher airfares in January is because that is when we 'aussies' have our summer vacation (school finishes in Dec and goes back late Jan/early Feb. The weather in October is great so you should have an amazing time.

Thanks, perthgirl. That is very interesting. I did not know about the holiday schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter