DISers Love Broadway!

Oh, you NEED to look up her videos! She doesn't have a regular swing band -- more like rockabilly. They do lots of clubs, like the Whisky on Sunset, and events, like Viva Las Vegas, too. Fun! And she's suer nice in person. :)
Oh rockabilly is my favorite! Does anyone out there do boogie-woogie? I was getting pretty good at it when I stopped dancing. I probably don’t have the stamina anymore though. 15 years and a desk job later, and most of my exercise these days comes from stapling 😂

Though, DH has been bugging me to start practicing again. I guess now we would have plenty of time!

Oh rockabilly is my favorite! Does anyone out there do boogie-woogie?...
I can find out. Tell me about being out of dance shape -- life in general got in the way, then this pandemic thing, plus staying at home with plenty of snacks? Not a good thing for dancing, that's for sure!

Reactions: EmJ
@DznyPrnces , I'm probably biased because stage is my medium (and also because I have a giant crush on Jeremy Jordan, but that's another post), but I think the stage version is better than the movie
Totally agree. Harvey Fierstein really did a great job on the book. The choreography is fantastic. And it's still possible to enjoy both versions -- they really are different from each other. I know people who are big fans of both the movie and the show.

Just posted this on another board, but it's so joyful that I had to share it here, too. Enjoy!

I love this! Thank you for sharing.

I find these types of events both uplifting and crushingly sad. I hate so much what this virus has done to all of us, everywhere. But it is lovely to find these moments of unity and beauty in our topsy-turvy world.

Catching up on this thread. Admittedly - watched Hamilton three times over the weekend -- oh my miss our theatre.

While I love our travel companies and home theatre, so much different with the original cast....and that ending! I think it's her breaking the 4th wall with realization of it being told.

Here's a nice Jimmy addition:

Catching up on this thread. Admittedly - watched Hamilton three times over the weekend -- oh my miss our theatre.

While I love our travel companies and home theatre, so much different with the original cast....and that ending! I think it's her breaking the 4th wall with realization of it being told.

Here's a nice Jimmy addition:

Everyone is so talented! I wish I had as much talent in my whole body as they have in their little finger. Making spreadsheets is a talent, right?!

I need to watch Hamilton again, alone 😂 My first viewing, although fun to be with my family, was admittedly interrupted by trying to explain the plot to a small child, said small child needing snacks, the potty, his Williamsburg tri-corner hat and shirt so he can march around like a soldier, etc. I did re-start it yesterday and there is some light breaking of the fourth wall even in the first number -- "Alexander Hamilton / When America sings for you / Will they know what you overcame? / Will they know you rewrote the game?" So I could totally see it.

Everyone is so talented! I wish I had as much talent in my whole body as they have in their little finger. Making spreadsheets is a talent, right?!

I need to watch Hamilton again, alone 😂 My first viewing, although fun to be with my family, was admittedly interrupted by trying to explain the plot to a small child, said small child needing snacks, the potty, his Williamsburg tri-corner hat and shirt so he can march around like a soldier, etc. I did re-start it yesterday and there is some light breaking of the fourth wall even in the first number -- "Alexander Hamilton / When America sings for you / Will they know what you overcame? / Will they know you rewrote the game?" So I could totally see it.

Making pivot tables is a talent!

I’ll one up your son with a 5yo daughter that yells “I will kill your friends and family...to remind you of my love!!”

she’s been doing that for the better part of a year :oops:

glad she didn’t do it in public, but maybe now it’s okay? hahah

Gaaahh!! I was away from the DIS for a couple weeks for sick kid (not COVID...appendicitis with post op complications. All good now though!) and y'all started a Broadway thread!! Yay!

Here's my crazy Hamilton story:

I was going to a work conference in Baltimore the weekend of the 2016 Tony awards. As a west coast theatre girl, Baltimore is "close enough" to NYC that I couldn't NOT go. Took a red eye Fri night to BWI, picked up my rental car and drove straight to a suburban NJ train station and took the train into the city. This was the time of Hamilton standby tickets requiring multiple night camp outs and regular/scalped tickets going for well over $1K each so that was out (...or was it). Got walk up tickets to a Bright Star matinee (a FANTASTIC show that closed a few weeks later after coming up empty handed at the Tony's. Such a shame but it was Hamilton's year... Carmen Cusack is AMAZING. Book by Steve Martin and Music by Steve Martin + Edie Brickell. Look this one up if you haven't heard it!).

I find myself debating what to do with my evening show slot and trying to see what else had walk up tickets. Then I notice Hamilton tickets on StubHub dropping in price a bit for that evening's show as it gets closer to show time... I set up shop with my phone in the lobby of the Marriott Marquise next door to the Richard Rodgers and watch ticket prices. 30 min before showtime I see an orchestra seat drop to a still outrageous but something I can kind of stomach price and grab it. Print the ticket in the FedEx store in the Marriott and run downstairs to get in line for the theatre, sweating it the whole time that I've paid $$$ for a fake ticket. The "good to enter" beep when the guy scans my ticket is the BEST SOUND EVER. The show was amazing. Jaw dropping. All the things. I barely even noticed when the lady next to me spilled her whole drink all over me. I even stage doored like a teenager afterwards. It was no longer safe for LMM to stage door at that point but did get autographs from others including Leslie Odom Jr. I check into my hotel back in Baltimore at like 4am. Slept through the first session of my conference Sunday morning but at least made it to the afternoon and it was SO worth it to see the OBC (except Jonathan Groff as he had already left-but I ADORE Rory O'Malley- and Jasmine Cephas Jones as she had an understudy-Alysha Deslorieux).

Here's my thoughts after watching Hamilfilm this weekend: I was blown away by Leslie Odom Jr. when I saw it live. Gave me a whole new appreciation for the depth of the Burr character (though we later saw Brandon Victor Dixon in the role too and he was...meh...despite being an incredible actor). Odom's strength in the role did not come across on the Hamilfilm somehow. The opposite for Pippa Soo. Other than her incredible voice I was underwhelmed in person but she came off stronger on the film. Renee Elise Goldsberry was predictably amazing both ways. I won't disagree that for all I love LMM there are stronger Hamiltons out there (saw Jevon McFerrin- Bobby McFerrin's son- as Hamilton in 2017 and he was SO GOOD!). But that's the joy of live theatre- it can be, to some degree, a different show every night. Overall SO glad everyone can see the OBC but of course still no substitute for live production. Heartbroken over COVID's effect on live theatre of all kinds...I hope everyone can get back on stage soon.

Last edited:
Gaaahh!! I was away from the DIS for a couple weeks for sick kid (not COVID...appendicitis with post op complications. All good now though!) and y'all started a Broadway thread!! Yay!

I was going to a work conference in Baltimore the weekend of the 2016 Tony awards. As a west coast theatre girl, Baltimore is "close enough" to NYC that I couldn't NOT go. Took a red eye Fri night to BWI, picked up my rental car and drove straight to a suburban NJ train station and took the train into the city. This was the time of Hamilton standby tickets requiring multiple night camp outs and regular/scalped tickets going for well over $1K each so that was out (...or was it). Got walk up tickets to a Bright Star matinee (a FANTASTIC show that closed a few weeks later after coming up empty handed at the Tony's. Such a shame but it was Hamilton's year... Carmen Cusack is AMAZING. Book by Steve Martin and Music by Steve Martin + Edie Brickell. Look this one up if you haven't heard it!).

I find myself debating what to do with my evening show slot and trying to see what else had walk up tickets. Then I notice Hamilton tickets on StubHub dropping in price a bit for that evening's show as it gets closer to show time... I set up shop with my phone in the lobby of the Marriott Marquise next door to the Richard Rodgers and watch ticket prices. 30 min before showtime I see an orchestra seat drop to a still outrageous but something I can kind of stomach price and grab it. Print the ticket in the FedEx store in the Marriott and run downstairs to get in line for the theatre, sweating it the whole time that I've paid $$$ for a fake ticket. The "good to enter" beep when the guy scans my ticket is the BEST SOUND EVER. The show was amazing. Jaw dropping. All the things. I barely even noticed when the lady next to me spilled her whole drink all over me. I even stage door like a teenager afterwards. It was no longer safe for LMM to stage door at that point but did get autographs from others including Leslie Odom Jr. I check into my hotel back in Baltimore at like 4am. Slept through the first session of my conference Sunday morning but at least made it to the afternoon and it was SO worth it to see the OBC (except Jonathan Groff as he had already left-but I ADORE Rory O'Malley- and Jasmine Cephas Jones as she had an understudy-Alysha Deslorieux).

Here's my thoughts after watching Hamilfilm this weekend: I was blown away by Leslie Odom Jr. when I saw it live. Gave me a whole new appreciation for the depth of the Burr character (though we later saw Brandon Victor Dixon in the role too and he was...meh...despite being an incredible actor). Odom's strength in the role did not come across on the Hamilfilm somehow. The opposite for Pippa Soo. Other than her incredible voice I was underwhelmed in person but she came off stronger on the film. Renee Elise Goldsberry was predictably amazing both ways. I won't disagree that for all I love LMM there are stronger Hamiltons out there (saw Jevon McFerrin- Bobby McFerrin's son- as Hamilton in 2017 and he was amazing!). But that's the joy of live theatre- it can be, to some degree, a different show every night. Overall SO glad everyone can see the OBC but of course still no substitute for live production. Heartbroken over COVID's effect on live theatre of all kinds...I hope everyone can get back on stage soon.
Amazing story! I’m so glad you got tickets at a stomachable price, lol. Speaking of Renée Elise Goldsberry, I think I neglected to mention that the Rent: Filmed Live On Broadway that I talked about upthread features her as Mimi. She is great in that role too!

I’ve never seen a show on “real Broadway”, sadly, but it is a bucket list item. I did see The Little Mermaid when it was in its Broadway tryout, and that was so cool. The producers came out on stage at the start and advised the audience that because this was a tryout, they might stop the show at any point to provide direction or make changes. I was secretly hoping it would happen, lol, but they performed straight through. I also saw the first national tour of The Book of Mormon. Elder Cunningham was played by Jared Gertner, who had briefly taken over for Josh Gad on Broadway. And I have to say... although I love Josh as an actor and a human, I preferred Gertner’s voice to Josh’s-as-heard-on-the-soundtrack. I completely agree that one of the fun things about live theater is getting to see how the show, characters, and story shines in different ways in each performance.

Also, this is super silly, but if anyone else watches Rent, I’d be curious about your thoughts on a brief moment during I’ll Cover You, when Collins is spinning with Angel, and Angel suddenly gasps, “My wig! Hold on!” and grabs her head. The audience audibly chuckled and I don’t remember that in any of the live performances, which made me wonder if it was a quick onstage blooper, but it was pretty cute and actually fit in the moment such that I couldn’t be sure. And her wig stayed on 😄

Last edited:
We went to NYC a few years ago and saw Waitress, with Sara Bareilles performing, and also Anastasia where we were thrilled to see such diverse casts in both shows.

DDs were always dance leads in community theater musical productions. Younger DD’s high school teacher told her she would have been the 2nd female lead in “Annie Get Your Gun” but they needed someone blonde - meaning they didn’t want someone ethnic. She persevered, wrote an article for the school paper entitled “Racism hits Center Stage” that was intercepted by the vice principal, and went on to get her degree in Ethnic Studies from UCSD.

Here’s Phillipa Soo for the win! #representationmatters

Last edited:
We went to NYC a few years ago and saw Waitress, with Sara Bareilles performing, and also Anastasia where we were thrilled to see such diverse casts in both shows.

DDs were always dance leads in community theater musical productions. Younger DD’s high school teacher told her she would have been the 2nd female lead in “Annie Get Your Gun” but they needed someone blonde - meaning they didn’t want someone ethnic. She persevered, wrote an article for the school paper entitled “Racism hits Center Stage” that was intercepted by the vice principal, and went on to get her degree in Ethnic Studies from UCSD.

Here’s Philippa Soo for the win! #representationmatters

I’m so sorry that happened to your daughter. I loved the diverse cast in Hamilton and thought it brought so much depth to the show. I hope that it is only the beginning of greater diversity in casting and creative talent in theater.

I find myself debating what to do with my evening show slot and trying to see what else had walk up tickets. Then I notice Hamilton tickets on StubHub dropping in price a bit for that evening's show as it gets closer to show time... I set up shop with my phone in the lobby of the Marriott Marquise next door to the Richard Rodgers and watch ticket prices. 30 min before showtime I see an orchestra seat drop to a still outrageous but something I can kind of stomach price and grab it. Print the ticket in the FedEx store in the Marriott and run downstairs to get in line for the theatre, sweating it the whole time that I've paid $$$ for a fake ticket. The "good to enter" beep when the guy scans my ticket is the BEST SOUND EVER. The show was amazing. Jaw dropping. All the things. I barely even noticed when the lady next to me spilled her whole drink all over me. I even stage doored like a teenager afterwards. It was no longer safe for LMM to stage door at that point but did get autographs from others including Leslie Odom Jr. I check into my hotel back in Baltimore at like 4am. Slept through the first session of my conference Sunday morning but at least made it to the afternoon and it was SO worth it to see the OBC (except Jonathan Groff as he had already left-but I ADORE Rory O'Malley- and Jasmine Cephas Jones as she had an understudy-Alysha Deslorieux).

Here's my thoughts after watching Hamilfilm this weekend: I was blown away by Leslie Odom Jr. when I saw it live. Gave me a whole new appreciation for the depth of the Burr character (though we later saw Brandon Victor Dixon in the role too and he was...meh...despite being an incredible actor). Odom's strength in the role did not come across on the Hamilfilm somehow. The opposite for Pippa Soo. Other than her incredible voice I was underwhelmed in person but she came off stronger on the film. Renee Elise Goldsberry was predictably amazing both ways. I won't disagree that for all I love LMM there are stronger Hamiltons out there (saw Jevon McFerrin- Bobby McFerrin's son- as Hamilton in 2017 and he was SO GOOD!). But that's the joy of live theatre- it can be, to some degree, a different show every night. Overall SO glad everyone can see the OBC but of course still no substitute for live production. Heartbroken over COVID's effect on live theatre of all kinds...I hope everyone can get back on stage soon.
Pharmama, I agree with you completely about Leslie Odom Jr. It's crazy to say because he was still of course fantastic, but I also didn't think the filmed version captured the strength of his performance live. He was simply electric on stage. And even Joshua Henry, who I also saw in the role and was wonderful, wasn't as incredible as Odom. Though having said that, I've been fortunate to see the show four times live, and for me the only true irreplaceable actor has been Daveed Diggs. No matter how good anyone else is, they simply can't match for me what Diggs brought to the role.

Also 'immigrants, we get the job done' is a one that resonated breaking the 4th wall especially in 2016 during that time. That clearly broke the 4th wall

Well this got me to watch newsies last night again. up to 1am -- thanks disney ;)

I'm voting for making spreadsheets definitely being a talent as that gives even more legitimacy to making timelines (my specialty lol) being one too! 😜

• Haha
Add this to get another thing I never noticed while watching Hamilton on stage: https://screenrant.com/hamilton-sec...dium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P

@pharmama - epic story! totally worth it.

@EmJ - my DD learned that “oh snap” equivalent expletive from Home Alone. I thought I was being clever by turning on the closed captioning to make her read, but Marv had a fleeting whisper of it (barely audible) that was displayed in full glory on the closed captioning. Yeah, that backfired a bit. Luckily we know not to make a big deal out of it, so it was quickly forgotten. 😂

... I’ve never seen a show on “real Broadway”, sadly, but it is a bucket list item...
It can be tricky, but if you time it right (and this works for Broadway and the West End in London, too), you can see 3 shows in a row in one day! Whew... exhausting, but absolute heaven! Put that on your bucket list -- you'll never regret it!
For fans of Leslie Odom, Jr. -- check out his Christmas album ( Simply Christmas (Deluxe Edition) ) -- one of our recent favorites.
For fans of Joshua Henry, here you go:

Question, I never caught this the first times around on stage, but when Eliza gasps at the end of the show, what's that about?

It was subtle when I saw it on stage, I just assumed she was crying. It was much more pronounced on the B'way stage production on D+. Now I see theories about a) Eliza breaking the 4th wall, b) dying and seeing Alexander in the afterlife, c) ???

Thoughts on this anyone?

I recently saw a Youtube video where LMM was asked this question. You can hear his answer here:

Add-on, if you're curious about the Tony times and more behind the scenes moments, have a look at Leslie Odom Jr. vlog for broadway.com (here ep.1 of 8):

I recently saw a Youtube video where LMM was asked this question. You can hear his answer here:

Add-on, if you're curious about the Tony times and more behind the scenes moments, have a look at Leslie Odom Jr. vlog for broadway.com (here ep.1 of 8):
Fun! Thank you for sharing!

It can be tricky, but if you time it right (and this works for Broadway and the West End in London, too), you can see 3 shows in a row in one day! Whew... exhausting, but absolute heaven! Put that on your bucket list -- you'll never regret it!
That would be so fun! I have one of those big milestone birthdays with a 0 at the end coming up, and we are talking about maybe visiting New York. I have a few touristy things I want to do, and then I’d like to see a show each night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter