• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Dismeet in the Smokies 2021! Y'all Come!

Choosing a name for our upcoming trip!

• Dismeet in the Smokies 2021

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Rocky Top Dismeet 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Pigeon Forge Dismeet 2021

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Dosmeet in the Mountains 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dis Mountain Meet 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Bear Vacation Hoedown 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And a wisp of dust, bama_ed and Miss Lisa were gone. Safe travels
View attachment 581387

We have successfully made it home, tigger92662. :car:

It was right at a 6hr drive which is the low side of the estimated time. Left at 7am from Pine Mountain, rolled through a lot of green lights on the Parkway up to I40, and flowed smoothly through Knoxville and Chattanooga. Only had rain from Birmingham down to home for the last hour of the drive.

Rain has stopped, however, so I have no excuse to NOT unload the car today.

It's become our tradition to get some Domino's Pizza on get-home-from-camping night so that is on tap for dinner.

Ya'll have fun, safe drive home, and let's stay in touch on the Camping Forum.

Bama Ed

Thank you guys for taking PaHunter's RV back home. I am praying that he will be home soon. I know Reba is missing her parents. Praying everyone makes it home safely. A lot of rain in the Alabama & Mississippi area. Again, many thanks for the pictures, & letting us see what PF looks like.

9" of rain recorded in Culpeper, VA since Thursday. I am showing 5-7 recorded here in Haymarket, VA. Glad to ready you all didn't get too rained out. I am taken back by the amazing community we have formed here and what we are willing to do for each other.

I am sure Chris is grateful for the amazing power of Dis! Now he just need to channel that power into getting well.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition, we made it to Cades Cove today. This is actually one place that I can tolerate a traffic jam :-) We saw 2 bears, one deer, and a couple of turkeys. It really doesn't matter whether we see any wildlife at all. The beauty of this place is inspiration enough.

Later in the day we took in Paula Deans restaurant and woddled out of there and returned to the Glamper. I think tomorrow is just going to be a kick back and relax day before we leave for another camping adventure on Saturday.

Last edited:
My last post was for Thursday. Today, we went to the Bush Bean Museum and then back to the glamper. Will be leaving tomorrow for Bryson City camping a few days. Had a GREAT time here in PF and enjoyed putting faces to names. We hope to continue coming to the Dismeets.

Thursday
Thursday was a pretty basic day for us. We started out going to the Titanic museum. We had gone on our honeymoon but hadn’t been for several years. You could definitely spend an entire half day or more there to read and see everything. I highly recommend it if you haven’t been (they don’t allow pictures.) You receive a boarding pass when you go on of a passenger that was on the ship and discover at the end of your passenger survived. You also get an audio tour device to listen at different points throughout the tour.

After Titanic we went to a few other stores and then came back to grill some hamburgers.

After we ate dinner, we went to get Ice Cream with @tigger9962 and @Teamubr for our last night. We then hung out at @teamubr’s site until around 11. Friday is relocating day to Chattanooga for us. Also, a surprise in store for my DW.

Harrison Bay State Park
All I can say is wow!! We left PF around 11:30. Slept in a little bit to get some rest, then got up and broke camp. Before leaving we pulled down and said goodbye to all our DIS family & friends. It was so nice to spend time with all of you this week and we can’t wait to see you again. We have a few trip the rest of the year that coincide with some other DISers so we will “see ya real soon!”

After we pulled out and made the turn onto Pine Mountain Road, I looked at the DW and she was crying. I asked what was wrong and she told me she just hates leaving everybody. Thanks so much for making us feel at home.

Fast forward and after some roads I wasn’t quite sure about, we arrived at Harrison Bay State Park around 2:45. If you haven’t stayed here, you must. We are absolutely in love with it. Just hate we only have one night here! We are on site 41 with an incredible view and access to the bay.

After getting everything setup we got brave and ventured out into the water. The water was perfect and I wish we could have stayed in longer but we had to get out for the DW’s surprise.

More to come later.

Arc,

That first picture of your camping chairs overlooking the water at Harrison Bay is a "chamber of commerce" type picture. It would make a great advertisement for HB.

Ed

Glad everyone is moving along. And so thankful for our dis family helping us out getting the rig and Reba back. Gonna be a bit before Reba sees Dad.
Will let eveyone know how I am doing, once I know.

Praying for you man. Let us know if my family can help in any further way.

Tennessee Valley Railroad Part 1
So after we got a shower and done at Harrison Bay State Park we headed on in to Chattanooga. I had been telling the DW I had a surprise for her all week and she had no idea what, where or when it was. So after a short 20 minute drive we arrived at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum parking lot. This little museum is packed with all sorts of rail cars and trains.

Upon arriving in the parking lot I informed my DW that we would be having dinner aboard a train. She was so extremely excited which made my heart so happy. We got "check in" around 6:00 for a 6:30 departure. They have you wait in a little waiting room and they have the gift shop open in case you want to purchase something as they are closed when you get back. About 6:15 the conductor came in and they started calling parties by last name and directing them to their dinning car. We were directed to the middle car.

I want to thank @bama_ed for his suggestion of TVRR. And yes Ed, I know, I know, it's a diesel and not steam but I thought the dinner would be fun (and it was.) These pictures are of the front engine, they have one at the front and one at the back as once you reach the Chattanooga Memorial Cemetery (just past the zoo), they use a separate engine at the back to return.

Our dining car.

10 picture limit, rolling to post 2.

Last edited:
Tennessee Valley Railroad Part 2

Here's a picture of the inside of our dining car. They have tables available that can seat 2 and 4 people. I was going back and forth between doing the dinner or the steam train tomorrow morning so I actually booked the last 2 seats. You are seated alone with just your party.

The table is set formal style and waiting for you is water, some veggies (including some amazing pickles), and rolls with butter.

The train departed the station right on time at 6:30. Most of the ride isn't very scenic but it does start out that way. If you're looking for a fully scenic experience, you may want to try a different route.

Shortly after we got started they confirmed our meal choices and asked what we wanted to drink (choice of sweet or unsweet tea, water, lemonade, or coffee.) The first course was a tomato bisque soup. A soup, honestly, that I don't usually like but this one was very well prepared and dipping the roll in it was quite nice.

As you leave the train yard, you see several other engines along the way.

For my main course, I chose the roast beef. It was prepared very well and came with green beans and mashed potatoes. It was actually really good. I wasn't expecting much but it did not disappoint.

The DW had the grilled chicken which turned out to be a stuffed chicken breast with homemade dressing inside and Canadian bacon on top with the same sides. All of it, they said, was home made and it was quite good.

I will also add that the service team was INCREDIBLE. They stayed right on top of keeping your drink refilled and bringing out your next course. They did an amazing job.

Rolling to post 3.

Last edited:
Tennessee Valley Railroad Part 3

The route ended at the Chattanooga National Cemetery. This is where they switch from the front engine to the back to return the same way we came. It's my understanding that this is actually the oldest National Cemetery.

While stopped they brought out desert. I had the strawberry cheesecake with fresh strawberries, which was great.

DW had the apple pie which she also enjoyed.

After dinner they offer to let you remain there or you can move to the coach car to relax (which I needed after that big meal.) The coach car is actually their oldest on that trip. It was built in 1911 and remodeled to a coach car in 1954. The seats were SO comfortable and reclined all the way back. The DW and I had a great time cuddling no the return trip (which they went faster than they did on the way out.) I will also add that there were so many people that would wave at the train as it went by. There was even one family that followed it through most of its route. It was great to see so many people enjoying the trains.

Here's a picture of the engine that took us out.

A pic of the engine that was at the rear that brought us on our return trip.
All in all that whole experience was a 10 out of 10 and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone that comes through.

We got back to our campsite around 9 and I just had to snap this picture. If I ever come up missing, you can find me at Harrison Bay State Park. This place is heaven!

No idea what tomorrow morning holds but we'll move down to Birmingham tomorrow night before finishing the drive to FL on Sunday. Night all.

Last edited:
You are all killing me with the train pictures. I am now officially jealous i did not make the trip..............

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter