Disney acquires Pokeman rights via Miramax

DisTriv- This has nothing to do with Disney's traditional animation.

JJ... oh, nevermind....

I prefer to see how they handle the Pokemon thing before I start screaming. A lot of those kids that they seem to be losing (or at least not attracting as much as their parents ;) ) still like Pokemon and who knows? This usually grumpy Disney fan wants to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Goosebumps was VERY poorly handled IMO but it certainly didn't seem to have an effect on the Disney name.

I don’t remember anyone calling the success of ‘The Princess Diaries’ or ‘The Rookie’ to be just luck. And I think everyone certainly knows that Michael Eisner does not sign off on every decision or makes the call when to empty the overflowing garbage cans on Main Street (although Michael really, really, really would like to).

And even I don’t blame Eisner for the ‘Pokemon’ decision per se. But I do hold him responsible for the “trash the standards, anything to make a buck” mentality that is currently trashing the entire company. There is not a single aspect of paying for ‘Pokemon 4’ that fits any of the Disney standards, goals or beliefs. Is it a quality product? Does it fit into Disney’s synergy? Does it advance the Disney brand? Of course not; it’s simply a cheap way to make a quick buck.

Where is Disney’s creativity? Where is Disney’s originality? Are things so bad they can’t even come up with an idea of their own!? Isn’t there ONE SINGLE script, concept or person in the entire organization that can come up with something new? Is Disney so bankrupt of talent that they have to buy someone’s garbage toy commercial?

And if “Disney” is really nothing more than a price tag slapped on the products of others, what’s really the point of the Company anymore?

“…flicks like Iris and In the Bedroom”

Which is exactly the point. Miramax had nothing at all to do with ‘Iris’ or ‘In the Bedroom’ – they were domestic distribution deals for already completed films. The commercial films that Miramax has made (‘American Outlaws’, ‘Kate and Leapold’, ‘Gangs of New York’) have been nothing but disasters. Are we to believe that the only successful products come from outside of The Company? Instead of trying to fix the problems, it feels like the management philosophy these days is to give up and become a reseller.

That really seems like the message the entire Pokemon situation is sending – “we can’t create but we know how to shop”.

Covenient how you leave out their domestically produced films that were successful. Unfortunately Voice is a product of the Hollywood spin environment and knows how to twist everything to his advantage.

Well, let’s just check the red book Mr. Show…

For 2001 we have ‘Spy Kids’ (produced by the Miramax subsidiary Dimension) as a certified hit.

Then we have ‘Air Bud 4’, ‘Daddy and Them’, ‘Get Over It’, ‘Heartlands’, ‘Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back’, ‘Kate and Leopold’, ‘Lucky Break’, ‘The Musketeer’, ‘Neverwhere’, ‘On the Line’, ‘Scary Movie 2’, and ‘The Shipping News’.

Am I missing any hits in there?

As for the other movies, ‘Iris’ was produced by the BBC; ‘Captain Corelli’s Mandolin’ and ‘The Others’ were produced by Canal+ (the parent company of Universal Studios – interesting, no?). Well, at least the cut of the pie Miramax got on ‘The Others’ made up for ‘Mandolin’.

I’ll leave the spin for all those sad souls that have to work on ‘Gangs of New York’ (otherwise known by it’s alternate title –‘Pearl Harbor on the Hudson’).

Oh Boy here we go again. Our 7yr.old son LOVES Pokemon. Wait until he hears this. Thank you for the update.

yeaa! all we need is pokemon at disneyworld...ohh noooo!

Mickey is in for a real shock when he meets Pikachu

But then again it all started with a mouse.....an electric mouse?:p

I'm just happy that they're not making a Pokemon attraction! I would certainly be upset to see Pikachus & Charmanders soaring Dumbo-like at any of the parks!

What power rangers old and had it what about mutant turtels those were the days my freind

Paulh
going disney 3 days

I liked the turtles. ;)

When I first saw the main character in Lilo & Stitch I thought that it looked an awful lot like a Pokemon character. Maybe Disney just wants more characters to match? ;)

Ya gotta laugh at this. how could anyone think Pokemon will create a whirlwind like it did 3 years ago. It is a FAD.
FALSE
ADVERTISING
DEMAND
How many people think Pokemon will rebound with a Disney nameplate. Or ANY nameplate, for that matter.
At least with some of the charecters, they last. Mickey lasted for, um 80 years? Pikachu won't even last for 8.Most people won't even associate Pokemon with Disney, but with Miramax. One tip. Buy before the fad.

I never let schooling get in the way of my education.
-Mark Twain

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter