DISNEY COLLECTION RESALE QUESTION

Beazle

Earning My Ears
Can you use the Disney Collection when you have purchased a DVC resale _ in other words not through Disney - or are you limited (pre 2019) to DVC resorts at WDW ?

You can't use the points for Disney collection or Cruises.

Resale points(bought now) are basically only good for, DVC resorts and RCI exchanges.

If you're buying a Riviera resale today, you're limited to staying at the Riviera. You do get pool hopping, community center, and top of the world access.

If you're buying another DVC resale today, you can stay anywhere but Riviera. You do get pool hopping, community center, and top of the world access.

If you purchased your resale before January 2019, there are different restrictions based upon when you purchased. Some have the same access as direct purchasers, and some aren't allowed ABD and cruises.

The Disney Collection is typically a poor use of points, made even lower value by demanding the highest priced (ie direct) points.
I agree. Usually it is better to rent out your points and then pay cash, or rent points from an owner at that resort. It is an especially poor use of points to go on a cruise. MUCH more cost effective to rent them out and pay cash for the cruise. Some brokers, and I believe Davids at https://dvcrequest.com/ is one of those who have a program where they will take your points, rent them out, pay for your cruise, and then also give you some money back.

I have used the Disney Collection, but I regretted it greatly when I spent over 345 points for something, and later realized I could have done much better renting them out. I MIGHT still consider using the Disney Collection for something small, where the value isn't too bad, such as staying at French Quarter or Caribbean Beach. But I definitely WOULD NOT even use them at any of the Disneyland hotels since the exchange rate is especially poor.

Disney Collection and Concierge Collection are restricted for resale points purchased after March 21, 2011.

The Disney Collection is typically a poor use of points, made even lower value by demanding the highest priced (ie direct) points.
It's been a while since I looked but I remember it being something crazy like 95 points for a night at the Contemporary and 60+ or so for a night at Caribbean Beach during a lower season. (...plus the $95 exchange fee just to "sweeten the deal" :rolleyes:). That's in comparison to 43-49 for a 2BR villa at BCV. So even if I did have qualifying points, the odds I'd use them in that manner are extremely minute.

It's been a while since I looked but I remember it being something crazy like 95 points for a night at the Contemporary and 60+ or so for a night at Caribbean Beach during a lower season. (...plus the $95 exchange fee just to "sweeten the deal" :rolleyes:). That's in comparison to 43-49 for a 2BR villa at BCV. So even if I did have qualifying points, the odds I'd use them in that manner are extremely minute.
CBR is like 19-22 a night. It’s actually cost wise very similar to renting your points then paying for cash at CBR. Specifically if you actually intend to pay taxes on your rental incomes. So in extreme cases going disney collection makes sense if you absolutely can’t use points. But you obviously still have a loss compared to staying in a DVC resort.

This year they allow trades into POP and All Stars now cheaper per night but it’s not fair compared to CBR (or other moderates).

CBR is like 19-22 a night. It’s actually cost wise very similar to renting your points then paying for cash at CBR. Specifically if you actually intend to pay taxes on your rental incomes. So in extreme cases going disney collection makes sense if you absolutely can’t use points. But you obviously still have a loss compared to staying in a DVC resort.

This year they allow trades into POP and All Stars now cheaper per night but it’s not fair compared to CBR (or other moderates).
I must have been mistaken on that; I stand corrected. The cheaper rooms often aren't available though so I'd look at the water or pirate rooms for a baseline.

I must have been mistaken on that; I stand corrected. The cheaper rooms often aren't available though so I'd look at the water or pirate rooms for a baseline.
I think that’s in the low 20s. But I haven’t personally ever looked at what is available.

You can't use the points for Disney collection or Cruises.

Resale points(bought now) are basically only good for, DVC resorts and RCI exchanges.
What is the Disney Collection? We’re contemplating DVC and are confused by this.

What is the Disney Collection? We’re contemplating DVC and are confused by this.
The Disney Collection is any Disney resort that't not a DVC resort. I.E... Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, Disney's Contemporary, Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Pop Century.
You can exchange your points along with a fee I believe to stay at the resorts in the Disney Collection.

It's usually never a good idea to use your points in the Disney Collection, like other have said it would be better to just rent your points and book a room with cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter