Disney Converts ... Anyone have a conversion story to share?

Fantasmic23

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the
I didn't know where to put this post and if it should get moved, fine. :)

I believe (and I know I'm not alone here) that who you go to WDW with will have a big impact on how you come away feeling about the whole experience (especially if you're a first-timer).

A little backstory: We have just booked our 3rd WDW trip for late November. The other day, I jokingly asked my very anti-Disney sister if she and her fiance would like to come with us. She said no but added, "If you decide to go again in 2011 or 2012, let us know and we'll think about it." That prompted me to go into my "Disney sell" mode and I proceeded to list the attributes of each park, focusing heavily on Epcot since I think my sister and her fiance would really love it there. At the end of my spiel, I could see that my sister had softened a bit, especially when she said, "Well, let's pick a date for late in 2011." I could almost hear a choir of angels singing.

A little backstory on my sister and WDW: DSis went to WDW in 1987 or 1988 with my uncle, his wife, their DD (who I'll call T), my grandmother, and uncle's MIL. T was the stereotypical only child: Spoiled to the core. According to DSis, it was all about T on that trip: "Let T get in front of you in line", "No, I don't have any more film in my camera to take your picture", "T doesn't want to go on the Peter Pan ride, so we're not doing it", etc., etc. Now, I wasn't there (and I have no idea why my grandmother didn't intervene in any way), but DSis wasn't a happy camper when she returned home.

DSis was so unhappy that in 1990, my mother, stepfather, DSis and DBro all headed to WDW again. Due to issues with my stepfather, I didn't go on this trip (and every time my family tells the story of the 1990 trip, I am so thankful that I wasn't included). Stepfather was an absolutely miserable person. If we had an ocean-view hotel at Cape Cod, he'd complain. If we were in Maine, he'd whine about the gorgeous fall foilage. The man would've been happier if we had a hotel which overlooked a dumpster. According to my mother, DSis and DBro, stepfather was full of negativity at WDW ... about everything. I've seen the VHS tape and it's pretty bad. My mother was filming and you can hear stepfather (off-camera) actually yelling at my sister and brother for LAUGHING while they were waiting in line. A miserable human being and I'm happy to report that he and my mother called it quits in 2001.

So, with all that, DSis (and DBro) have been anti-WDW over the years. I'm hoping that we can turn it all around for her in 2011 and she'll come away at least liking WDW more. I already told her that there's no need for all of us to be together every second of the trip. I told her that we'll do one park all together and if that goes well, we can discuss a day (or 1/2 day) at another park. I made it clear that she and her fiance are to do Epcot alone.

Our family went exacty one year ago today for a week stay. We have three kids ds 16, ds 14 and dd 9. We had an incredible week..so much so i have joined this board just to get my Disney fix.

But during the trip, i concluded everyone should see Disney through the eyes of a 9 year old girl. She was just big enough to ride every ride ( which she did ), but yet young enough to wear her pink ears everyday and get hugs from Mickey. Every night I carried her out on my shoulders after the fireworks...somthing i will always treasure.

Our family went exacty one year ago today for a week stay. We have three kids ds 16, ds 14 and dd 9. We had an incredible week..so much so i have joined this board just to get my Disney fix.

But during the trip, i concluded everyone should see Disney through the eyes of a 9 year old girl. She was just big enough to ride every ride ( which she did ), but yet young enough to wear her pink ears everyday and get hugs from Mickey. Every night I carried her out on my shoulders after the fireworks...somthing i will always treasure.

:goodvibes Yes, this is what I'm thinking! When DSis went to WDW as a child she had a miserable experience. Maybe if she sees the parks through her niece and nephew's eyes, things will be (hopefully) different. I sure hope so. I don't want to overwhelm or annoy her (we're uber happy and enthusiastic while at WDW, especially at MK) ... It might be best to slowly re-introduce her to WDW. She loves spending time with my children (and they with her) and I think she'll get a big kick seeing how happy and excited they are.

When we first started dating I kept going on and on about my upcomming trip to WDW. How excited I was and how I love it so much. I asked has she ever been. She said yes, she did not care for it too much and was not sure about going back.

Well a couple months later I found out the whole story. Her first Trip to WDW was on her Honeymoon(she is divorced) Her mother in law paid for their hotel at a very kid oriented non-disney hotel(full of kids not really a honeymoon resort) They crammed everything into 3 days running from ride to ride, made through all 4 parks don't ask me how. They purchased a Time share at a nice local place.

The following year they returned for their honeymoon. Spent one day at a park. the other days just hanging out, I guess and I know I am only hearing one side of the story she planned everything out for a week. I kind of believe her becuae I used tickets to Sea world and Universal that were bought under his name. near the end they broke up. Were there with firneds and rode home in 2 separate cars.

Funny thing too is my sister also broke up with a BF while at Disney world. that was on the boardwalk you get on in frontierland that wlks around the water for tom s island.

back to my other story. It took some convincing but I said go with me, I take it slow. I don't try to cram everything in. Even on a 7 day trip I plan very little and let the cards fall. I got her to go. and we went three times while we were dtaing. I proposed to her on the Poly. beach during the fireworks, and now we are brining our daughter for the first time in Aug. my wife loves WDW

When we first started dating I kept going on and on about my upcomming trip to WDW. How excited I was and how I love it so much. I asked has she ever been. She said yes, she did not care for it too much and was not sure about going back.

Well a couple months later I found out the whole story. Her first Trip to WDW was on her Honeymoon(she is divorced) Her mother in law paid for their hotel at a very kid oriented non-disney hotel(full of kids not really a honeymoon resort) They crammed everything into 3 days running from ride to ride, made through all 4 parks don't ask me how. They purchased a Time share at a nice local place.

The following year they returned for their honeymoon. Spent one day at a park. the other days just hanging out, I guess and I know I am only hearing one side of the story she planned everything out for a week. I kind of believe her becuae I used tickets to Sea world and Universal that were bought under his name. near the end they broke up. Were there with firneds and rode home in 2 separate cars.

Funny thing too is my sister also broke up with a BF while at Disney world. that was on the boardwalk you get on in frontierland that wlks around the water for tom s island.

back to my other story. It took some convincing but I said go with me, I take it slow. I don't try to cram everything in. Even on a 7 day trip I plan very little and let the cards fall. I got her to go. and we went three times while we were dtaing. I proposed to her on the Poly. beach during the fireworks, and now we are brining our daughter for the first time in Aug. my wife loves WDW

Awwww! :love: Great story!

WDW was never discussed as a child and its something we wouldn't have been able to afford. I don't remember any of my friends talking about going either or family. I just fell in love with WDW before my first trip at age 22. Had never been before had a WDW addict at work telling me how great it was, they gave away a free trip from work (I didn't win) and being in the running for the trip got me thinking about going there so I checked it out online. I started my love affair with a few guide books and then before our trip I thought I was totally prepared, but I didn't understand the magic that was going to happen. I cried on the bus the first time I saw the Castle and when we walked in the gates it just hit me and I've never looked back to life before Disney. There is no other vacation destination in my book that I will willingly go to and plna. Disney is part of my everday life now and we plan multiple trips a year. If I'm not planning a trip, I've just gotten back. I watch Disney movies, TV, and read Disney books. I come here too much. My kids rooms are Disney decorated. Our wedding had a Disney cake and reception decor was Disney. When we picked out kitchen decor I did it around Mickey colors (red, black, white, and yellow), etc. etc.

As a child, I went to WDW 3 times (age 3, 5, and 8--mid-late 70's). I do have one particularly early (and precious) memory of walking right up to Cinderella in MK, on a bridge, just as she was wandering around with a parasol.

I was never a huge fan of Disney. We went that many times mainly because I had relatives nearby.

Went in 1999 (I was 28ish) so my husband and I could bring my younger siblings. We did minimal planning and I just went with it. Not overly into it at all. I never understood my best friend's yearly trips.

Then I had kids. Figured, yeah, we'll take them when they're older. No rush. But then a trip sort of fell into our lap when my kids were almost 3 and 4.

TOTAL 180 :rotfl2:

I will never, ever forget the look on our daughter's face when she saw Cinderella that first time. We were in tears. If I read that in my pre-dis life, I would have rolled my eyes!

For me, it's definitely about seeing it through children's eyes. Maybe we parents are dragging our kids there for our own selfish pleasure while they are complaining on a kids' site about their disney-obsessed parents :laughing:

I am not entirely obsessed, and we do other family trips but I do have some butterflies as I am prepping for late April's trip. Every year or 2 that we take them, it'll be fascinating and rewarding to see their changing reactions and adventures :love:

We've successfully converted my dad and I am working on my SIL...slowly.

After our 1999 trip, we told my parents how great it was but it wasn't until our 2004 trip with DD8 (she was 2 at the time) that they started to show an interest in it.
When we started to talk about our 2008 trip, they decided to join us.
My mother was miserable ( as I figured) but I wanted them to see my kids reaction upon seeing the castle etc.
Well by the end of the trip, mom had softened and little did I know dad was hooked.
On our return we received a bounce back offer in our email and decided to go again last year. We asked my parents to come again and to my surprise, they agreed--but only for part of the trip.
Somehow, i convinced DH that we should go on an adult only trip this year and my guilt won't allow me to go without bringing the kids again so we booked two trips this year (I know I'm crazy).
We asked my parents to come again but mom said not this year. They were planning a trip to PEI this year and that was going to be their vacation.
But I know my dad really wants to go. During a visit last week, he walked me to the car with the kids and said "I'm envious that you are going again." This was without my mother in earshot.

My SIL always has that tone when DH tells her we are going to Disney and he always tell her that our nephews 9, 5,4 would LOVE it.
One is REALLY into Star Wars and the youngest is into princesses. DH has espoused the Star Wars weekends and of course the princesses and awesome resorts on site but so far, she has resisted. :laughing:

:love: That was the best!! Thank you so much!!

When Mrs. Homie and I started dating back in college, I made it clear off the bat that I was a WDW freak. I had been several times in my life as a child, teen, and college-aged adult. I even suggested honeymooning there once we started discussing marriage. But she wasn't into it.

WDW just wasn't on her radar. She was vaguely aware that there was a Disney theme park in Florida, but she had never been and her family had never made any mention of going. The furthest away she had been from home was when she went from her home town in Missouri to see some relatives in Virginia. Her family is rather, uh, redneck :rolleyes1, and they don't cotton to no fancy vacation resorts and no flyin' to Florida if there's no kinfolk there.

For the first few years of our marriage, we were dirt poor and so going to WDW wasn't a possibility even if she did want to go. Then I got a good job, and I told her we were going, whether she liked it or not. Her attitude was "Whatever. Maybe I'll get some sun."

Within five seconds of entering the Magic Kingdom she was hooked. :love:

When Mrs. Homie and I started dating back in college, I made it clear off the bat that I was a WDW freak. I had been several times in my life as a child, teen, and college-aged adult. I even suggested honeymooning there once we started discussing marriage. But she wasn't into it.

WDW just wasn't on her radar. She was vaguely aware that there was a Disney theme park in Florida, but she had never been and her family had never made any mention of going. The furthest away she had been from home was when she went from her home town in Missouri to see some relatives in Virginia. Her family is rather, uh, redneck :rolleyes1, and they don't cotton to no fancy vacation resorts and no flyin' to Florida if there's no kinfolk there.

For the first few years of our marriage, we were dirt poor and so going to WDW wasn't a possibility even if she did want to go. Then I got a good job, and I told her we were going, whether she liked it or not. Her attitude was "Whatever. Maybe I'll get some sun."

Within five seconds of entering the Magic Kingdom she was hooked. :love:

Hey!! You'll be at POP the same time we'll be there! :)

Like my tag says...I've been a mouse fan since birth! Growing up, my favorite tv shows, books, movies, etc. were always Disney. We went for my 3rd bday in '72 and went every other year throughout the 70's and 80's.

DH's family only went once and it wasn't much of a trip. Family squabbles, the heat, lack of planning, you name it...it sounds like it went wrong for them.

For years I tried to convince him to go. He kept waiting for all the kids to be old enough to remember it and I finally convinced him to go in 2000. It was supposed to be a "once in a lifetime" thing for him. He didn't care how many times I went, but he was just going this once.:confused:

Needless to say, about 30 minutes into the trip and he was hooked. It's the only place he wants to go. :goodvibes He said it was because I had everything planned so we didn't spend time arguing about what to do (which must have been the only thing his family did on their trip).

I have also "converted" several of my neighbors and friends. When they were planning trips, they asked me to help them. So I helped them choose a hotel, make plans for the parks, and dining plans. Many of them were making a supposed "once in a lifetime" trip when I helped them and as soon as they get back, they're asking me to help with the next one!!!:laughing:

I just "witnessed" by phone a fantastic WDW conversion. Mom's been trying to persuade Dad to go with her for years. Finally, at ages close to 80, Dad agreed, reluctantly. I think he figured they weren't getting any younger and how bad could it be for him. Well, the first day he called me-"My first impression-this place is BIG!" Every day I could hear him getting more and more into it. Yesterday, when he called, he and Mom had just rode BTMRR! This is a man who gets queasy just watching rides, so he was going to sit all week. And Mom supposedly has/had a bad back. He told me that when they checked in, they were asked how long they'd been married-almost 59 years. Well, yesterday, Dad said "Maybe we'll come back for our 60th anniversary."

Like my tag says...I've been a mouse fan since birth! Growing up, my favorite tv shows, books, movies, etc. were always Disney. We went for my 3rd bday in '72 and went every other year throughout the 70's and 80's.

DH's family only went once and it wasn't much of a trip. Family squabbles, the heat, lack of planning, you name it...it sounds like it went wrong for them.

For years I tried to convince him to go. He kept waiting for all the kids to be old enough to remember it and I finally convinced him to go in 2000. It was supposed to be a "once in a lifetime" thing for him. He didn't care how many times I went, but he was just going this once.:confused:

Needless to say, about 30 minutes into the trip and he was hooked. It's the only place he wants to go. :goodvibes He said it was because I had everything planned so we didn't spend time arguing about what to do (which must have been the only thing his family did on their trip).

I have also "converted" several of my neighbors and friends. When they were planning trips, they asked me to help them. So I helped them choose a hotel, make plans for the parks, and dining plans. Many of them were making a supposed "once in a lifetime" trip when I helped them and as soon as they get back, they're asking me to help with the next one!!!:laughing:

I love this story (Actually, I'm loving ALL of the conversion stories that others have posted)!! Thanks!! Woohoo for converting neighbors and friends!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter