Disney CP role allocation doubts

bluebirdiee

Earning My Ears
Hi,
So I just received my role and location for my CP.
Custodial at Disney springs. Fair to say I’m not exactly enthusiastic. Not so upset about custodial but couple with being placed in Disney springs I’m wondering if there’s much magic to be made there?

You will have to make your own 'magic'. You are at Disney's mercy.
Disney Springs has its own issues and fun.
You will get to know your fellow CM faster since there will be fewer of you.
You will mainly work late nights, so cooler.

You will have some crazy story's from you experience.

Hi,
So I just received my role and location for my CP.
Custodial at Disney springs. Fair to say I’m not exactly enthusiastic. Not so upset about custodial but couple with being placed in Disney springs I’m wondering if there’s much magic to be made there?
My DD grew up going to Disney, 3 x by time she was 14 mos old. Everything she had done was to prepare for DCP after college and hopefully stay.

She was notified she would be a "Hopper" which made sense after her interviews because they asked her if she would be okay with moving around. She was.

She arrived at check in and no one had any idea what a Hopper is or what to do with her. They sent her to Custodial training and assigned her to DisneyQuest at Disney Springs. She was so sad as her dream was to work in a park, to be in the middle of it.

Well she never worked Custodial, she did attractions in Disney Quest. She met some great people and they became a little gang. They worked nights as the full timers wanted the day shift. She had some the best managers there. She was doing so well they offered her to also be a Rescue Ranger - GR out in the field. Disney Springs was under renovation and she was to assist guests. There is always things happening, entertainment happening, folks asking questions ~ she enjoyed being in Disney Springs as well.

She and a couple of her Disney Springs friends signed on for the next session and she ended up at Soarin'. Not her dream park but hey it was one of the most popular rides then (old show). She quickly learned that Attractions wasn't always fun at popular rides, guests are "difficult". She missed her Disney Springs. But her Custodial came in handy because I didn't realize how often folks got sick on Soarin'. AND back then Custodial was mostly full timers who didn't want to work in that building. So they wouldn't come when called. She was trained and permitted to do clean up so they could get back rolling.

Years since she left she is still friends with several and one was in her wedding. So many in Custodial love it (her friend did) because you are less supervised, you get to move around, talk to guests, help them with directions ... and in Disney Springs you have music, entertainment, less stressed guests etc. Not sure how it is handled now but Custodial can work anywhere, so maybe periodically you pick up shifts at the parks, during the Halloween Party be cool (I'd avoid Food & Wine).

And once you have a pod of friends - with similar hours, she found her roommates worked days, her nights so her friends were her workmates - see if any are interested in Universal APs. Her pod of friends made that their hang out place. They did Disney parks for short stints, like fireworks, dining, a few rides BUT an off day would be at Universal or other area things.

Sorry long, my point, my DD was not happy with Disney Springs initially but in the end she was very happy - just got to jump in, make friends, and make sure you enjoy your time there. I often talk to DCP, especially custodial and it makes me sad when they say they don't go to parks or have any fun. Enjoy it all while you are there.

Last edited:
Several years ago our family was at Downtown Disney (before it became Disney Springs) and someone had made a Mickey head out of fallen flower petals instead of sweeping them up - I still think about that on a regular basis, that extra bit of magic meant so much to us in that moment (it was a difficult time and that really made a difference). I also remember the first time I saw someone "painting" a Disney character's face with water on the sidewalk was a member of custodial staff at Disney Springs- those extra little moments of magic are truly special.

Just now seeing this, but adding that I know several people who have done or currently do custodial. I used to think that had to be the worst job on property, but no, I'd say that custodial is better than most other jobs. Easier and more flexible than attractions, definitely less stressful than food and beverage. They have a lot of flexibility to roam and do whatever they want as long as their job gets done. I just saw a custodial lady a few days ago at MK handing out stickers because she didn't have any other work to do in her zone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter