Disney Dollars/gift card question

The LK 4

Don't make me get out my spoon!
I had asked my sisters to give my DD and DS Disney Dollars as a Christmas present so that they can use them on our upcoming trip. Instead, they bought them the Disney gift cards, which I think are only redeemable at the Disney Store. Can I use these gift cards to buy Disney Dollars?

The ones I've received here in Canada cannot be used to buy Disney Dollars. I assume they are all the same but I'm not positive.

Hmmm.. If that's true, I wonder if I can buy merchandise using the gift cards, and then return it and get my money back in Disney Dollars? There has got to be a way to convert these into Disney Dollars! I wanted the kids to have their own spending money for souveniers.

I think if you bought something and then returned it they would give you a gift card back because that was the method of payment. However, I wonder if your sisters returned the gift cards (assuming they still have the receipt) could they get dis $ instead?

Good suggestion. I will check with them and see if they still have it. Thanks!

I asked this very same question at my local Disney Store a couple weeks ago. The gift cards cannot be used at Disneyworld. However, the gift cards can be used to buy Disney Dollars which can then be used in Disneyworld. Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone's help with this! I was able to use my gift cards yesterday and buy Disney Dollars with them without a problem. However, from what I have read here and on other threads, every store must have its own policies about different things.

How about one Disney dollar together with some ordinary cash?

In general I am not enthusiastic about gift cards or gift certificates. In my area there have been too many stores (Ames, Bradlees, Lechmere, Montgomery Ward to name a few) that went out of business leaving people with worthless gift cards, or if they were lucky enough to redeem them in the nick of time, only the later stages of going out of business sale stuff was available for purchase.

Some Disney Stores have closed down. You don't want to be stuck with a gift card for a store chain the closest store is miles away from home.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

(This post done from WDW Disney Quest)

I was disappointed when my local Disney Store wouldn't redeem gift cards for Disney $'s.

My DD's received them as gifts for their birthdays. We tried to use them in Disney in Nov. & were unable to & then I was a little annoyed when I couldn't exchange them for Disney $'s. I ended up using the gift cards for a gift for someone & buying Disney $'s for my girls to replace the gift cards they were unable to use!

I had the same dilemma when I went back in October and was given a gift card that couldn't be used in the parks, but luckily was able to convert it into disney dollars at the disney store.

I wonder if you could use them in DD disney store? The only place in wdw I get discount using DC.

Originally posted by April in Disney
I wonder if you could use them in DD disney store? The only place in wdw I get discount using DC.

I could not use the gift card at the World of Disney store in Downtown Disney. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter