Disney game recommendation for adult on Nintendo Switch?

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
Hi all!
My family has owned a Switch for about a year. Mostly my kids use it and my husband has enjoyed Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I haven't used it much but think I would be more interested in it if I found a game with a Disney theme that would hold an adult's attention. Here's my "wish list"... I understand there might not be an option that meets all criteria:
*Takes place fully or partially in the theme parks
*Involves interaction with various Disney characters (that should be an easy one to accomplish!)
*Isn't made for little kids. I have played around a little with Breath of the Wild and enjoy the complicated, drawn out story there. I'm just not that terribly interested in the world of Zelda. This will really date me, but way back in the day of computer games on 3.5" discs I really loved King's Quest (specifically the 6th game with a female main character, Rosella). It was a drawn out story with layers and it was my favorite above any of the Atari or Nintendo console games we ever owned.

Is Kingdom Hearts the way to go? It's heard to tell what's really going on with the game from the "trailers" I've seen, but it does seem to have a Breath of the Wild-esque feel to it. (If this is your recommendation... I'm having a hard time understanding which ones I can and can't buy. There are so many it seems!)

We are fine with either a game cartridge or just buying the digital code.

Thank you for sharing your recommendations!

Last edited:
Kingdom Hearts is definitely Zelda-esque with complexity and deep worlds to explore with Disney characters.

I'd also suggest checking out Disney Dreamlight Valley -- it's a farming/town building sim in the vein of Animal Crossing, but full of Disney characters to interact with and quests for you to unlock.

Man, I wish Disneyland Adventures was released on the Switch. That would've been a good one to recommend but it's only on Xbox and PC.

Kingdom Hearts does have Disney characters to interact with but I wouldn't really recommend playing just for the Disney characters. There is A LOT going on story wise. I do recommend the series in terms of gameplay but be prepared for a very complicated story that doesn't always make sense. Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (along with the spin offs) were released for the Switch but I think they're digital only and require an internet connection due to them being cloud editions (meaning they're being streamed to your Switch rather than software installed to your console).

Last edited:
Kingdom Hearts is definitely Zelda-esque with complexity and deep worlds to explore with Disney characters.

I'd also suggest checking out Disney Dreamlight Valley -- it's a farming/town building sim in the vein of Animal Crossing, but full of Disney characters to interact with and quests for you to unlock.
I'll definitely check out Dreamlight Valley... that might be a good one! We are actually getting Animal Crossing for the kids for Christmas and DH told me today he thinks I would like it. But if there's a Disney-fied version that sounds even better! Thank you for the recommendation!
Man, I wish Disneyland Adventures was released on the Switch. That would've been a good one to recommend but it's only on Xbox and PC.

Kingdom Hearts does have Disney characters to interact with but I wouldn't really recommend playing just for the Disney characters. There is A LOT going on story wise. I do recommend the series in terms of gameplay but be prepared for a very complicated story that doesn't always make sense. Kingdom Hearts and 1 (along with the spin offs) were released for the Switch but I think they're digital only and require an internet connection due to them being cloud editions (meaning they're being streamed to your Switch rather than software installed to your console).

Oooo... PC is an option too. I'll have to look into Disneyland Adventures. Thank you for letting me know KH might be TOO detailed. That makes sense considering how many games there are. I think I'll focus my "research" more on other options. Thanks for the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter