Disney Gripe

Mike Bartenhagen

Mouseketeer
My 5 year old daughter has recently begin the use the internet. One of the sites that she likes to surf is Disney and I don't blame her there is a lot of fun stuff for kids. The thing that bothers me is Disney is certainly aware many kids visit the site and they are using pop under and pop off ads. I realize companies must advertise but this seems as though it is a very poor way for Disney to do this. For those who have not seen these ads they are present when you close your browser but the part that really bothers me is the adds are half on and half off of the screen. My daughter does know that she can close windows by choosing the X but Disney has the ads pop off of the screen so that she can't see the X. They do however have places she can click that take her to ads for Disney Blast, just seems to me to be a crummy thing to do.

I can see where you are coming from. Pop ups are almost everywhere now and I hate them too! Will it change the way I feel about Disney....of course not. Will it annoy me when my son who goes on all the time calls me to get it off....yes. You know maybe you should email them and just see what they have to say. I'm 30 years old and some sights have the pop ups so mixed up that it takes me a while to figure them out.

Unfortunately the FREE internet isn't so FREE. A lot of companies use the popups. I just wish there was a better way too.:(

Steve

I wish there weren't so many pop ups too. Sometimes I will get like 5 or 6 in quick succession...I spend more time trying to get rid of them than I do on the site I'm trying to view :(

you can always try a pop up stopper. you can download them free. we use pop up stopper from panic ware. I believe I downloaded it from cnet.com. good luck

It's not so much the pop ups that bother me it is the fact that Disney is intentionaly hiding the X to close the box and trying, in my opinion, to trick kids into going to the Disney Blast sign up. An adult would know to drag the window back onto the screen but she can't quite get this yet. She just start clicking the item in the window.

It's not always the site you're visiting that is popping up the ads.

If you've loaded some of the free software for downloads, or have ever installed anything that had Gator software or Bonzai Buddy attached, chances are, it's that software that is popping up ads on top of, or behind, the sites you're visiting.

Rajah posted about a free spyware locater/uninstaller the other day, perhaps you should scan your system for anything that may be causing the pop-ups.

Placement of pop-ups can also have to do with your local computer settings. If one of the pop-up boxes got moved to the side, Windows can remember that location, and place new pop-ups in the same place... just like it can remember if you maximize or browser, or if you like it a certain size and place.

I do run Ad Aware on a regular basis. This is a Disney site with a Disney pop-up so it is no doubt their doing.

The ads going off the page is not a function of my local settings it is refered to as a pop off ad and there has been mention of these in several of the PC magazines.

I am aware of those 'pop-off' ads too, and they are aggravating. And I can see how a young kid, not adept at the dragging the window in to delete can get fooled. No answer for you, Mike, but sure do hear you.

Thank you kidzmom and disneyslave!!! I am such a computer goon and didn't even know I could get rid of pop-ups. I thought I had to put up with them. I just downloaded my pop-up stopper and I'm off to surf the net and see how it works!!!! Again, thank you thank you thank you!:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter