Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep saying this is like House of M , but it really is nothing like it. I am really not sure why people think so. Is it just the alternate universe thing? They couldn't be more different.
I find it to be linked to House of M spiritually, if not in actual practice (though I'd still love to see a true House of M movie/TV adaptation someday). WandaVision also gives me major vibes of the Vision run from a few years back, and I loved that too.

As a big comic book guy and someone that likes a lot of the old sitcoms (Bewitched, Dick Van Dyke, etc) that this gives nods to, for the life of me, I don’t understand why people think Wandavision is a good show. Is it that people want it to be good? Lack of other new shows? Or do you expect some payoff to what is a parody full of Easter eggs even diehards don’t find all that compelling?
Or because people genuinely like and enjoy it because everyone has different tastes clearly?

I find it to be linked to House of M spiritually, if not in actual practice (though I'd still love to see a true House of M movie/TV adaptation someday). WandaVision also gives me major vibes of the Vision run from a few years back, and I loved that too.

I mean, I guess, though I'm not convinced this show is even what we all assumed it to be based on Wanda's powers. Personally, unlike Bendis's Avengers and House of M I hope they do not denigrate and villify Wanda. Personally, I think they can keep all of that out of it, including mutants,

Exactly. We’ve been binging a lot of older shows since March with more downtime and we know we have to give shows at LEAST 8-9 episodes before we make a decision to pull the plug and move on. Some shows are slow builders and others just don’t find their groove until later in the series. Wandavision really doesn’t even fit either of those categories though, as it’s been great since the beginning. The main issue, as we’ve discussed, was in the marketing and people not really knowing what they were going to be watching. Expecting it to be a sitcom was only going to lead to it being a letdown. People that say, “the jokes fell flat,” they weren‘t supposed to be laugh out loud jokes, they’re puns on the system of sitcoms.

I don't think there was any problem with the marketing. It's exactly what I expected from the previews.

As a big comic book guy and someone that likes a lot of the old sitcoms (Bewitched, Dick Van Dyke, etc) that this gives nods to, for the life of me, I don’t understand why people think Wandavision is a good show. Is it that people want it to be good? Lack of other new shows? Or do you expect some payoff to what is a parody full of Easter eggs even diehards don’t find all that compelling?

1) it’s a fun nod to the things that you mentioned

2) it’s an MCU property. 23 films over 13 years where even their “bad” movies are still very good comic book movies, there’s no other franchise in the history of movies and television that deserves the faith in a big payoff than Feige and the MCU.

Even diehard comic book fans had no idea what the Guardians of the Galaxy was and it’s one of the best comic book films of all time. So to think that they don’t have an ace up their sleeve for WandaVision would be woefully ignorant, unless of course youve hated everything the MCU has put out, and if that’s the case, then I’m not sure why you’d even watch WV

2) it’s an MCU property. 23 films over 13 years where even their “bad” movies are still very good comic book movies, there’s no other franchise in the history of movies and television that deserves the faith in a big payoff than Feige and the MCU.

Even diehard comic book fans had no idea what the Guardians of the Galaxy was and it’s one of the best comic book films of all time. So to think that they don’t have an ace up their sleeve for WandaVision would be woefully ignorant, unless of course youve hated everything the MCU has put out, and if that’s the case, then I’m not sure why you’d even watch WV

Yeah, the MCU has been pretty amazing. 23 movies and I wouldn't call one of them "bad" - some are not as good as others, but they are all at least decent and generally way better than other superhero films. It's kind of amazing really.

Lol. That's not true at all.

What show was everyone expecting here? Was there a secret trailer for this show that showed only action sequences and said “This show is nothing like a sitcom!” Marvel and Disney have literally been telling people what this show was going to be for 2 years. I just don’t get why anyone that’s not into what the show was pitched to be would even put it on in the first place. If I see a show or movie that has a plot or premise that doesn’t interest me, I’m not putting it on.
I don’t like the Matrix movies. I’m not going to watch the first 20 minutes of Matrix 4, turn it off and complain that the movie is about them going back into the Matrix.

If Marvel and Disney pitched WandaVision in a way where it being a nod to sitcoms while servicing the overall mystery narrative wasn’t present and that it was a cookie cutter heroes fight villains type of show, then sure, I’d understand the complaints. But this show has been pitched and marketed to everyone exactly the way it’s unfolded thus far.
I don't think there was any problem with the marketing. It's exactly what I expected from the previews.
I totally agree with all of you about this is what it was advertised as. I posted about that a few days ago.

Was well aware of the Guardians, though I never thought they would get a movie. First one was much better though.

Woefully ignorant? Because I find after three episodes of...whatever this is to be tediously boring?

It almost seems like they wanted it to be campy but didn’t fully commit to that, probably because of the tonal shift that is upcoming.

I’m just baffled at the support this is getting.

I grew up on actually good vintage shows (in reruns) that were actually funny like Lucy, My 3 Sons, DVD, Bewitched, IDOJ, Munsters, Addams, Leave it to Beaver, Gilligans, Brady Bunch. Wanda vision is none of these. It’s almost like some young kid’s acid induced dream of what those shows were like. Sure there’s probably some payoff here but the first episodes were so painful that I really don’t care.

given the mystery elements I do like it playing out over time vs a dump ... but I do wonder if maybe a bit more at one time (be int more than one episode or just longer episodes) would have been better.

I am enjoying the show, for sure, but also see the side that not a ton has happened, and that is with launching with the first 2 episodes at once

Wonder if maybe launching with the first 3 and then 2 episodes a week or something might be better?

I dont' know - I think I am sort of in between on the show ... I really like all the hidden stuff but also am still waiting for *more* to happen as well
I feel pretty similar to this. I am enjoying the show overall but it hasn't fully hooked me to where I want to rewatch episodes or anything. It's more the mystery of what is going on that I'm curious of. I'm hoping as the episdoes go the mystery of what is happening, SWORD, and all of that will take a larger forefront to the sitcom parodies. Each episode has seemed to put a little more focus on it so hope that continues.
I can understand why people are liking it and finding it boring. I was having some trouble focusin on the first couple of episodes as they were rather dull and played up the sitcom bit for about 90% of the episodes. A few more moments of the overall story would have helped. But I do think these will be ones that are better after you know everything and can see more stuff hat was sprinkled in.
I do wonder if at least releaseing the first 3 at the start or doing 2 a week might have been better to get more of it out. Episode 3 seemed to be a big improvement, even for ones liking it, over the first 2 so I think it might have grabbed people more if they could have gotten to it. The fact that they gave three to critics to screen seemed to show that they knew they needed to get that one in there as well and many early reviews kept alluding to the third episode being where stuff started to kick in.

I grew up on actually good vintage shows (in reruns) that were actually funny like Lucy, My 3 Sons, DVD, Bewitched, IDOJ, Munsters, Addams, Leave it to Beaver, Gilligans, Brady Bunch. Wanda vision is none of these. It’s almost like some young kid’s acid induced dream of what those shows were like. Sure there’s probably some payoff here but the first episodes were so painful that I really don’t care.

I mean, that might not be too far off. Wanda using memories of shows she saw as a kid to create an idealized alternate reality is a common theory.

I think some might be walking the line with spoilers in your posts about WandaVision!

Remember not everyone has watched it yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter