Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the park prices are not too out there, the resort and some restaurants are wild (especially some the resorts), but the parks are still in line with other premium entertainment. The only way I’m paying less for an NHL game in my city (pre Covid obviously) for a few hours of entertainment is as a season ticket holder. And it’s still more than I pay per day at Disney on a multi day ticket.

The 10 day tickets I’m holding right now for my kids cost about the same per day as 3 or so visits to my local zoo, which is kinda a lame zoo. That feels pretty reasonable.

The premium for the resorts pricing were based around location and perks, as well as atmosphere. There was actual value with fast pass, emh, resort transportation, entertainment, etc. Over time that has drastically been reduced to increase the bottom line. I dont see that surviving long term without some true value adds.

Food was always just a captive audience money grab. Quality is generally serviceable and its easier than leaving property.

Keep twisting this how you want. I don’t think anyone things laying off 28,000 people is a good thing.

It's ridiculous! The argument doesn't even make sense.

Poster put up an argument of why Great America type parks are better than WDW parks - in general. We responded why we don't think so. So that equates to thinking the lay offs of 28,000 people is good? Wow, that's a loooooong reach with nothing to grab! :D

Last edited:

Poster put up an argument of why Great America type parks are better than WDW parks. We responded why we don't think so. So that equates to thinking the lay offs of 28,000 people is good? Wow, that's a loooooong stretch! :D

The original point is that today, with just ride offerings, at inflated prices, Disney is in line with Six Flags. Disney is not a leader in rides and never has been. They are a leader in story telling. They have a few huge wins over the years...ie rise of the resistance and flight of passage, but when it comes to just offering rides...and watered down ones without the storylines and preshow (ie. Tower of Terror), they lose a lot of that magic.

With less to do, lines are also longer than usual (this was hit and miss).

I had this huge debate with myself before my recent trip about whether it would be worth it to bring someone for a first trip. After visiting, I am glad I didnt. The place and the people have lost that extra magic for the time being. I couldnt imagine a first timer laying out $5k for what I experienced. If I did, I wouldnt be back.

It wasnt bad. But it also wasnt magical. A lot of that has to do with the layoffs, forced relocation of staff, etc. They are not in a good place as a theme park right now and if the penny pinchers are running the show, thats not a good sign.

The original point is that today, with just ride offerings, at inflated prices, Disney is in line with Six Flags. Disney is not a leader in rides and never has been. They are a leader in story telling. They have a few huge wins over the years...ie rise of the resistance and flight of passage, but when it comes to just offering rides...and watered down ones without the storylines and preshow (ie. Tower of Terror), they lose a lot of that magic.

I had this huge debate with myself before my recent trip about whether it would be worth it to bring someone for a first trip. After visiting, I am glad I didnt. The place and the people have lost that extra magic for the time being. I couldnt imagine a first timer laying out $5k for what I experienced. If I did, I wouldnt be back.

It wasnt bad. But it also wasnt magical. A lot of that has to do with the layoffs, forced relocation of staff, etc. They are not in a good place as a theme park right now and if the penny pinchers are running the show, thats not a good sign.

Okay, but what I was saying with my post about AK - I don't think, even covid-era, that they only have rides to offer. Even without shows, I think the "atmosphere" (and all that it entails) is worth the $120 ticket price alone (or whatever it is).

I think what we want/get/expect from the parks is fundamentally different, which is fine.

Okay, but what I was saying with my post about AK - I don't think, even covid-era, that they only have rides to offer. Even without shows, I think the "atmosphere" (and all that it entails) is worth the $120 ticket price alone (or whatever it is).

I think what we want/get/expect from the parks is fundamentally different, which is fine.

And that feeling is what the execs key in on in surveys...if they are willing to pay $120 for just the atmosphere... then we either 1) raise the prices or 2) never bring back the extras. Its why I fear cast morale (which had been low) will possibly never come back.

And that feeling is what the execs key in on in surveys...if they are willing to pay $120 for just the atmosphere... then we either 1) raise the prices or 2) never bring back the extras. Its why I fear cast morale (which had been low) will possibly never come back.

Well then I guess I'm responsible for the downfall of Disney Parks.

You found me everyone.

😐

I guess you choose to ignore my post about customer profiles and the different types of customers and how the value perception changes with different types of customers. I run a business and work as a marketing and business consultant. Running a business is not just about 1 type of customer.

Customer Perceived Value Definition https://smallbusiness.chron.com/customer-perceived-value-23692.html
Customer perceived value is the notion that the success of a product or service is largely based on whether customers believe it can satisfy their wants and needs. In other words, when a company develops its brand and markets its products, customers ultimately determine how to interpret and react to marketing messages. Companies spend significant time researching the market to get a sense of how customers think and feel.

But the overall point is you are currently paying top of the industry prices $100 plus for a lack of what made those prices even remotely justified. If you go to animal kingdom, for $129 you get...expedition everest, dinosaur, the flying dino ride, kali rapids, the safari, flight of passage, river journey and tough to be a bug and a bird show.

Of those, flight of passage is the only one that stands out from a six flags. Without the atmosphere and big shows, its just another park, but with much less to actually do for over 2x the price.

I could argue similar for Epcot and Studios theae days, save a select 1 or 2 attractions. The place is currently a shell. I get why, but harkening back to the overall theme of the thread, laying off 28,000 people along with associated experiences has truly slaughtered the magic and its a huge gamble.
This argument about the price sounds great, but the simple fact is that most people in the parks right now are pass holders or Florida residents paying $49–$65 per day for a ticket. Most of the people from out of town are getting things like 7 day tickets around $74 a day. People need to quit acting like people are actually paying $125 for a ticket right now.

This argument about the price sounds great, but the simple fact is that most people in the parks right now are pass holders or Florida residents paying $49–$65 per day for a ticket. Most of the people from out of town are getting things like 7 day tickets around $74 a day. People need to quit acting like people are actually paying $125 for a ticket right now.

I did pay $124+/day for 3 day tickets when I was there. SUPER annoyed that I couldn't upgrade my 7 day package ticket to a 10 day, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

We had considered going to Universal or trying to find other non-park things to do with our extra days, but ultimately just wanted more time in the Disney parks and ponied up.

I agree with you! It is not as "magical" as it used to be....The parks have changed considerably in the last 3 years. The quality of merchandise has decreased significantly and the cost increased. It used to be that you could only find certain things at WDW but now the same type of merch can be found at the local target or gift shop. It's more junky now :-(
The layoffs and relocations have really impacted the cast members and not just the ones laid off or relocated. The CM's are dealing with losing friends that were co-workers, and the relocated CM's might not even want to be in a particular role and are having trouble adapting. It is a lose/lose for everyone and it is affecting morale. It is very sad for the CM's right now, and many guests don't understand or sympathize with their plight and expect it to be the same "magical" place. 😢

I agree with you! It is not as "magical" as it used to be....The parks have changed considerably in the last 3 years. The quality of merchandise has decreased significantly and the cost increased. It used to be that you could only find certain things at WDW but now the same type of merch can be found at the local target or gift shop. It's more junky now :-(
The layoffs and relocations have really impacted the cast members and not just the ones laid off or relocated. The CM's are dealing with losing friends that were co-workers, and the relocated CM's might not even want to be in a particular role and are having trouble adapting. It is a lose/lose for everyone and it is affecting morale. It is very sad for the CM's right now, and many guests don't understand or sympathize with their plight and expect it to be the same "magical" place. 😢
I actually disagree on the merch. Clothing maybe yes, that can be hit or miss in quality but I think merch has improved the last few years. Maybe 4-5 years ago everything was very basic and every store had the same exact stuff. These last few years more and more different items and variety in stores has been happening.

I actually disagree on the merch. Clothing maybe yes, that can be hit or miss in quality but I think merch has improved the last few years. Maybe 4-5 years ago everything was very basic and every store had the same exact stuff. These last few years more and more different items and variety in stores has been happening.

My credit card agrees with you. 😄

Totally agree with you.

On a trip in 2014 (we had large gaps not going before and after) I remember being completely disappointed in the merch, because it felt like nearly every store carried the same generic items. I believe it was that time period where resort specific merch was not really there as well. That has improved since then. They also are capitalizing more than they used to IMO on the more obscure merch that was once more exclusively done by small shops online.

Keep twisting this how you want. I don’t think anyone thinks laying off 28,000 people is a good thing.

Poster put up an argument of why Great America type parks are better than WDW parks - in general. We responded why we don't think so. So that equates to thinking the lay offs of 28,000 people is good? Wow, that's a loooooong reach with nothing to grab! :D

I don't think that's what New Mouse was saying. The sarcasm seemed to be pouring off his post ;)

But the overall point is you are currently paying top of the industry prices $100 plus for a lack of what made those prices even remotely justified. If you go to animal kingdom, for $129 you get...expedition everest, dinosaur, the flying dino ride, kali rapids, the safari, flight of passage, river journey and tough to be a bug and a bird show.

Of those, flight of passage is the only one that stands out from a six flags. Without the atmosphere and big shows, its just another park, but with much less to actually do for over 2x the price.

I could argue similar for Epcot and Studios theae days, save a select 1 or 2 attractions. The place is currently a shell. I get why, but harkening back to the overall theme of the thread, laying off 28,000 people along with associated experiences has truly slaughtered the magic and its a huge gamble.

hey are not in a good place as a theme park right now and if the penny pinchers are running the show, thats not a good sign.

So overall, I get what you're saying, and I kinda agree. Now, obviously Disney still offers things that Six Flags doesn't, but, the fact that they're still charging a full day ticket after all the cuts they've made, is pretty bad, IMO, and no, there's no way we would pay it, because yes, right now to us, Disney would feel like an (albeit nicer) overpriced Six Flags - but that's because we don't go to Disney for the rides. As you said, Disney for a long time was not a leader in rides (which has been changing in recent years). Mechanically speaking, any small local theme park offers pretty much the identical rides as Magic Kingdom, for a mere fraction of the price. And those new amazing rides that they have created, our kids won't go on anyways. :guilty: So for us, we can get our "ride" fix pretty much anywhere else. Which means for us... Disney is 100% about the magic, the story telling (that you're right, they excel at), the overall atmosphere with the parades, the fireworks, the characters, the shows and street entertainment etc... pretty much all the things currently missing. I mean, the themeing on the rides and in the lands, and even around the resorts, is amazing, and definitely appreciated by us, but is it enough for us to spend that amount of money without the rest of it? Not a chance. But... I'm saying that as a Canadian who has to pay darn near 40% more than any American, plus has to travel over 3000 miles round trip to get there... If we were Americans, if we lived within a day's drive, then we would definitely be more apt to spend the money, because our total cost would be a lot lower. For us, the cost to get to Disney is a huge factor in whether the cost of a Disney ticket is worth what they're offering, if that makes sense. All a roundabout way to say, I don't think the Six Flags comparison is necessarily black and white. I think everyone goes to Disney for something different, they value different aspects about it etc... everyone's budget and circumstances are different, and ultimately it's all those factors which will determine whether a person finds value in Disney right now, or whether they consider it currently "another Six Flags".

Currently, it is.
Thats exactly my point and Im glad youve all come around through your defense. Six flags and disney both currently offer mainly rides. Most of the experience that disney sells is out the window for at least the next year. When it comes down to it, both places generally offer a different type of rides, but six flags does offer significantly more. The better bang for your buck right now is six flags, the only difference being Disney has 4 parks for an extended vacation.

If I’m paying more than $0 to go to Six Flags Great America, it’s too much. We went last year after I won free tickets at an auction. There’s no ambience. It’s dirty and a total dump compared to Disney parks. I don’t care how many big and fast rides there are, it’s gross. Their customer service is terrible (we witnessed cursing in front of guests, also many employees not paying attention), there is no “show” and cleanliness and guest experience standards are very low. I would never pay to go there again.

Even with today’s limited experiences due to a global pandemic (!!!!!) Disney offers much more from a guest service, theming, feeling, show, detail and experience perspective than Six Flags ever will. I don’t care how many big rides Six Flags has to toss me around.

Last edited:
There seems to be some kind of disagreement of what a "ride" is. I think some only consider the thrill rides, and in that regard Disney has never been at the top. I don't only consider the thrill rides though, so for me Disney has a big draw for me, moreso than parks that focus on coasters. If coasters are your thing and you don't like dark rides, etc. then Disney was never really going to be at the top of your charts anyway.

There seems to be some kind of disagreement of what a "ride" is. I think some only consider the thrill rides, and in that regard Disney has never been at the top. I don't only consider the thrill rides though, so for me Disney has a big draw for me, moreso than parks that focus on coasters. If coasters are your thing and you don't like dark rides, etc. then Disney was never really going to be at the top of your charts anyway.

For us, "rides" are more the kiddy rides and just your average coasters (7D for example), since mine won't do thrill rides/really big coasters. There's nothing currently at MK we can't get elsewhere - mechanically speaking (outside of People Mover and the Carosel of Progress).

For us, "rides" are more the kiddy rides and just your average coasters (7D for example), since mine won't do thrill rides/really big coasters. There's nothing at MK we can't get elsewhere - mechanically speaking.

But the mechanics aren't the entire experience - at least for some of us. Yeah, you can have a mechanical contraption toss you around anywhere, or, you know, ride in a car, but it's not the same. Space Mountain would be a pretty lame roller coaster if it didn't take place in outer space!

But the mechanics aren't the entire experience - at least for some of us. Yeah, you can have a mechanical contraption toss you around anywhere, or, you know, ride in a car, but it's not the same. Space Mountain would be a pretty lame roller coaster if it didn't take place in outer space!

Right! Being stalked by a (disco) Yeti is pretty terrifying! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter