Disney Riviera Resort

With the laws of supply and demand that everyone loves to dig up, its a good move by WDW in the sense that you take 200 or whatever rooms out of mod supply (CBR and CSR), which will "increase" demand now. Voila! $220 goes to $275 just using the law...

The difference there is those aren't technically moderates.

I don't know about $300 in their cases...but the "straight shot" car to mgm with Star Wars just shot those into the $200 range.
They are already there. Rack rate for April 2018 for both Pop standard and AoA LM rooms is over $200. LM rooms won't be eligible for a rate discount. If the rates are that ugly before the gondolas are done, just wait until after.

They are already there. Rack rate for April 2018 for both Pop standard and AoA LM rooms is over $200. LM rooms won't be eligible for a rate discount. If the rates are that ugly before the gondolas are done, just wait until after.

I was actually downplaying the situation...

People around here continually laud things and then later realize it may price them out of the place. It happens a lot. Hence the militant quest for free dining.

With the laws of supply and demand that everyone loves to dig up, its a good move by WDW in the sense that you take 200 or whatever rooms out of mod supply (CBR and CSR), which will "increase" demand now. Voila! $220 goes to $275 just using the law...

Yep...it's all about the micro curve in this great 100% non price controlled bastion of freedom called 'Merica...

It's always right...can't fight it.

It's not meant to be a draw, it's meant to justify higher prices for hotel rooms / DVC points at the resorts it services.

Personally any transportation that gets out of the jammed packed buses make us happy. We tend to stay BLT the most because we don't have to bus to as many places. We aren't beach club or boardwalk people, least favorite resorts for us. So this new one we are so excited for. Its the first time since purchasing BLT we have even considered adding on at another resort.

Personally any transportation that gets out of the jammed packed buses make us happy. We tend to stay BLT the most because we don't have to bus to as many places. We aren't beach club or boardwalk people, least favorite resorts for us. So this new one we are so excited for. Its the first time since purchasing BLT we have even considered adding on at another resort.

I see this a lot and I have to ask: isn't this completely counter intuitive?

And have you ever bused in and out of Caribbean? I can tell you when they did the gps grid setup (Magic on Demand)...Caribbean was consistently the worst as far as transit times and service lags...a lot of that was the lights getting to and from and the loop. You're inheriting that problem with this "new" place.

So you're getting the cars to mgm and the back of Epcot...but you're not into boardwalk and beach club...where you can walk. Something isn't computing...

I see this a lot and I have to ask: isn't this completely counter intuitive?

And have you ever bused in and out of Caribbean? I can tell you when they did the gps grid setup (Magic on Demand)...Caribbean was consistently the worst as far as transit times and service lags...a lot of that was the lights getting to and from and the loop. You're inheriting that problem with this "new" place.

So you're getting the cars to mgm and the back of Epcot...but you're not into boardwalk and beach club...where you can walk. Something isn't computing...
Speaking of bus service....

Is this new resort going to have dedicated buses, or will they get to be another stop on the CBR loop?

Either way could be an issue. Those seven bus stops at CBR are not fun. And as you pointed out, CBR has many bus issues. But if they have dedicated buses, what stops CBR folks- the ones who are close-from heading over for RR buses?

Disney's first resort electric fence?

Bu

But what about the jam packed monorail? When I was there a couple of weeks ago I left MK to do a resort tour/park break. The monorail was exceptionally slow- and absolutely packed. Had to wait a while for monorail to come. Had to wait a while for it to unload. Got on and had to stand every time I rode it. Between resorts it stopped every time "waiting for traffic to clear up ahead."

Now I still like the monorail. It is cool. But it's not as if you just jump on the monorail and shoot over to MK or EPCOT. It has some of the same issues as the buses. And sometimes it closes completely (we got stuck once for a while at GF after dinner because the monorail was completely down and the boats had stopped running).

What if the new gondolas are the same way? Crowds of people, long waits, packed gondolas, and technical issues.

It sounds great to be able to just quickly hop on the gondola and float over to Epcot or HS. I hope it works that way. But it might not.

Speaking of bus service....

Is this new resort going to have dedicated buses, or will they get to be another stop on the CBR loop?

Either way could be an issue. Those seven bus stops at CBR are not fun. And as you pointed out, CBR has many bus issues. But if they have dedicated buses, what stops CBR folks- the ones who are close-from heading over for RR buses?

Disney's first resort electric fence?

I'm sure they'll spin "dedicated" buses...but they will never commit to it.

Buses are a straight line item loss and they will change/rig/ modify them at any point as they see fit.

A bus that has 11 people on it in slow economic times will be combined/rerouted. Have no doubt.

At one point...grand Floridian buses were shared with wilderness lodge. Just saying.

I'm sure they'll spin "dedicated" buses...but they will never commit to it.

Buses are a straight line item loss and they will change/rig/ modify them at any point as they see fit.

A bus that has 11 people on it in slow economic times will be combined/rerouted. Have no doubt.

At one point...grand Floridian buses were shared with wilderness lodge. Just saying.

I think in the day some of the loop resorts still share.

It's an interesting move.

The new DVC loses balconies, does not share with a deluxe, does not have a hook (Boardwalk has boardwalk, AKV has zoo, BClub has Stormalong, etc..).

Unless we are saying that the gondola station that POP also will have is a hook.....

Only the upper levels on one side will have "spectacular theme park views of 2 parks"

But from some responses here it seems like they were had at "new DVC"......

If they are truly offering this the same as they would be BLT, I really hope against hope that consumers balk and drive it down to where it should be.

I cant wait to purchase another 300 points (direct :-)) at this location. My wife and I already have the Poly as our MK home resort, would love another in the Epcot area. We bout into OKW when it was just dirt and a promise, I trust Disney. Its funny all the details folks have made up in their head based on sketch art. At the end of the day if you don't like it, just dont buy.

How awesome that you are an Original Owner of DVC :)
AND that you are enjoying your Poly stays :)

Obviously you have the financial resources to expand your home Resort stays to the first Gondola/Epcot-HS DVC Resort.

Hopefully the Riviera will garner sales from new DVC owners--maybe loyal CBR families?!

Bu

But what about the jam packed monorail? When I was there a couple of weeks ago I left MK to do a resort tour/park break. The monorail was exceptionally slow- and absolutely packed. Had to wait a while for monorail to come. Had to wait a while for it to unload. Got on and had to stand every time I rode it. Between resorts it stopped every time "waiting for traffic to clear up ahead."

Now I still like the monorail. It is cool. But it's not as if you just jump on the monorail and shoot over to MK or EPCOT. It has some of the same issues as the buses. And sometimes it closes completely (we got stuck once for a while at GF after dinner because the monorail was completely down and the boats had stopped running).

What if the new gondolas are the same way? Crowds of people, long waits, packed gondolas, and technical issues.

It sounds great to be able to just quickly hop on the gondola and float over to Epcot or HS. I hope it works that way. But it might not.

As a whole we have had far more packed buses than monorail and are on it for less time in general as well. My DH can't stand the buses and I am not far behind him.

Personally I am not that worried about it and think its going to be a great advantage to the resort.

How telling is it that the Poly (second only to the Grand in terms of "luxury") is outselling Copper Creek 3:1? Some part of this is probably due to the fact that the Poly has such a strong following (but then ago, so does the Lodge), but also, informed buyers can purchase Boulder Ridge (aka original WL) via resale at a fraction of the cost and receive the same amenities. Having said that, I would argue that most DVC buyers aren't even aware that the resale market exists to begin with, so it can't be moving the needle that much. Long story short, if they're having a tough time selling Copper Creek, which is a legitimate deluxe in every sense of the word, they better have some tricks up their sleeves to pawn off Riveria Royale on the masses...

image.png

How telling is it that the Poly (second only to the Grand in terms of "luxury") is outselling Copper Creek 3:1? Some part of this is probably due to the fact that the Poly has such a strong following (but then ago, so does the Lodge), but also, informed buyers can purchase Boulder Ridge (aka original WL) via resale at a fraction of the cost and receive the same amenities. Having said that, I would argue that most DVC buyers aren't even aware that the resale market exists to begin with, so it can't be moving the needle that much. Long story short, if they're having a tough time selling Copper Creek, which is a legitimate deluxe in every sense of the word, they better have some tricks up their sleeves to pawn off Riveria Royale on the masses...

View attachment 254186
I'm not really shocked. I love the lodge and the feel it has, but is it really worth what they're charging per point? (Honest question as I don't know what the rate is). The fact is people wanna own on the monorail and Disney sorta realized that location is used up for dvc in the foreseeable future

I'm not really shocked. I love the lodge and the feel it has, but is it really worth what they're charging per point? (Honest question as I don't know what the rate is). The fact is people wanna own on the monorail and Disney sorta realized that location is used up for dvc in the foreseeable future

Don't disagree, I just feel the portion highlighted in Bold will be an even bigger question when it's tied to a moderate resort.

It's interesting that a similar tower is going into CSR (rooftop lounge with "spectacular views", tower), but they didn't do DVC with it.

Any word on CSR from the expo? Did I miss it? Really interested in what that price point will be.

Just back from BLT, the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge still share AK, Springs, and HS busses, both day and night. It's always intrigued me that the deluxes share buses.

Fewer people staying there I guess. I might be in the total minority but I really don't get the bus hate. Sure, if you wanna leave right now and get to another place then yeah obviously. I do like the Express Bus between parks because it's on a schedule. But like I'm not SO BUSY on vacation that I cannot wait for the next bus in 90% of situations. If we're running behind, I'll grab an uber. But we get to the bus stops early for the morning. Waiting to get back isn't that bad, it did take a while at Epcot for some reason. But it was more funny to listen to people lose their minds over the bus not getting there fast enough and seeing a bunch of Port Orleans buses go by not at all thinking about why that might be.

Just back from BLT, the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge still share AK, Springs, and HS busses, both day and night. It's always intrigued me that the deluxes share buses.

Don't disagree, I just feel the portion highlighted in Bold will be an even bigger question when it's tied to a moderate resort.

Transportation at WL was an issue a couple weeks ago. Not only did we share with Contemporary, but also with The Fort for Epcot and MK. Only the early morning busses did not share- once you hit 9 am you were sharing. Plus, they were running about every 45-50 mins both at WL and the parks- except for MK. Sat at Epcot and watched 3 SSR busses come and go before ONE WL bus arrived. PLUS, we saw very bad guest behavior- making out on the bus (and then some), a literal coming to blows fight between 2 women, incredibly scantily clad girls making not so veiled innuendos between the carrots they were eating and some body parts... I have never seen it as bad as that, and I attribute some of it to the less frequent/more packed busses. Not a very "deluxe" feel to be sure.

Unless they have more reliable dedicated busses AND the gondolas work as they are being hyped to, it will not warrant the cost they are hoping for as a deluxe. Also a reason we won't even contemplate buying CCR right now- Disney is focusing more on profit than "magic". They are letting the small details go. If DRR is in the same boat, I don't think that bodes well.

ETA: @Roxyfire I am typically like you, and know the busses can take time. I am usually patient, but this last trip put me over the edge. It was SO much worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter