Disney to extend 60 day FP booking to non Disney hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that this move is more about enhancing guest experience at those other hotels - but it doesn't hurt that it might help promote those upsells and make some money indirectly.

I'm sure WDW is making money directly off this, because I bet these hotels are paying a LOT to offer this to their guests. And now there will be tiers of off-site hotels (I'm sure the hotels will now charge more with their 60-day benefit).

This really is only a relatively recent perk for staying onsite. Just a handful of years ago, there was no FP difference between off vs. onsite. So to those crying "now there's no reason to stay onsite!" what was the reason pre-2013?

Just what I was thinking! Just 4 years ago there was no advance FP.

The 7 or so Disney Springs Good Neighbor hotels do not currently get EMH, correct? Do you think this is to follow as well?

I'm sure WDW is making money directly off this, because I bet these hotels are paying a LOT to offer this to their guests. And now there will be tiers of off-site hotels (I'm sure the hotels will now charge more with their 60-day benefit).
That's a good point. I wasn't even thinking of any fees that Disney may receive from participating hotels - or the rate increase those hotels might justify with that perk. Plus it still keeps guests on-property and "spending local".
The 7 or so Disney Springs Good Neighbor hotels do not currently get EMH, correct? Do you think this is to follow as well?
No, I don't believe they get EMH. Although Swoplhin and Shades of Green do - so I guess it's possible it could be expanded. If so, the good news for those non-Disney hotel guests is that they'll get to enjoy the parks during those magical EMH times. The bad news is that Disney may continue limiting those times, so that EMH only occurs from 8:30-9:00am on February 26 and an extra hour on the evening of May 14. Enjoy!!

I am sure it is much easier to monetize the hotel perk rather than giving that perk to the AP's. Disney can charge these hotels a lot of money for this perk. AP's generally make their decisions around park visits. How many more park visits would this generate. Some, but not a lot. They could charge more for the AP, but then this changes the calculus in the wrong direction for the major reason for purchase. As much as we wish it were not so, it is all about the cash. Disney has the data to back up these decisions and guest experience is only considered when it effects the bottom line.

This really is only a relatively recent perk for staying onsite. Just a handful of years ago, there was no FP difference between off vs. onsite. So to those crying "now there's no reason to stay onsite!" what was the reason pre-2013?

Because you're comparing apples to oranges. Prior to 2013, not every attraction had FP, so where you wanted/needed one was very different from now. Yes, everyone had the same opportunity, but not everyone took that opportunity. We are early EMH and rope drop users, so we could get to the parks and start collecting FP earlier than those who like to sleep late and close down the parks. Now everyone is on the same playing field which makes getting the FP harder to get. You're also limited to only 3 per day until you use them. Before, you could get and hold more than that at one time.

I am sure it is much easier to monetize the hotel perk rather than giving that perk to the AP's. Disney can charge these hotels a lot of money for this perk. AP's generally make their decisions around park visits. How many more park visits would this generate. Some, but not a lot. They could charge more for the AP, but then this changes the calculus in the wrong direction for the major reason for purchase. As much as we wish it were not so, it is all about the cash. Disney has the data to back up these decisions and guest experience is only considered when it effects the bottom line.

Unless they offered the 60 day with the top tier pass. If they could sell more with that benefit, they've now monetized it.

We normally stay onsite because of the perks and my wife wanting to maintain that Disney "magic" the entire time. I seem to think the magic is somewhat lost when I get the bill, but I digress. This is obviously one more step that leads me to look long and hard at off-site alternatives. What is truly left to hold me onsite - extra magic hours only?

Magical Express, EMH, free parking, and the disney coupon book with free mini golf and discounts at Disney Springs. That has to be it, right?

If you keep going on this route and give everyone FP's and increase the number of FP's, eventually the FP lines will be as long as the standby lines. Then there won't be a benefit to FP's anymore.

Then they start selling "super FP's" (for a dollar amount) which have a separate line to the FP's which is "shorter than the FP line".

In short, FP's become standby and Super FP's become FP's. But they didn't have to technically start charging for FP's so no one can sream that they are not charging for something that was free previously.

Brilliant!

On a side note, I would be happy if Disney owned properties at least got 1 day more than the non Disney hotels....

Haven't read all the comments yet, but...it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have a time share that can be traded into locations around Orlando, I might actually consider using it now! It makes me wonder what Disney onsite guests will get...will they get more FPs, will it remain the same?

The only thing that would make me book a deluxe resort at Disney at this point in time is if the room came with unlimited FPs like Universal does for their higher end rooms.

Are they just non-Disney resorts on WDW property?

They're having a super hard time filling their own resorts as it is now! Especially Deluxe.

Have you tried booking a room for 4th quarter? Everything is super booked. Hard to get a room for more than a night or two.

Magical Express, EMH, free parking, and the disney coupon book with free mini golf and discounts at Disney Springs. That has to be it, right?

The coupons must only be with packages as I haven’t gotten those but I do room only for many years now.

This just seems to be extremely tone deaf to me. There are lots of people staying on-site now who can't book fast passes they want until day 5 of their trip. Let's see - there aren't enough passes available, so let's add more people to the pool.

I have been going around Christmas since before fast pass + was a thing. I have never seen the problems with lack of availability as I have this year. This is very discouraging.

I could see giving the good neighbor places a 45 day window. That makes some level of sense. You get an advantage - but on-site gets a bigger advantage. But not the same as on-site. Since I will have more competition, I am assuming I will get some other perk for staying on-site. Hahahaha.

I wonder if this is just a setup for another move by Disney to maybe allow 90 days for on-site guest? I would hope not as 60 days out and trying to plan attractions that far out can be stressful/annoying.
That’s what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter