Disney vs. Royal Carribean

noseybuddy

<font color=purple>Did I miss something?<br><font
I have booked a cruise for this Dec. My kids are DD 12 and DS15. I'm starting to wonder if Royal Carribean would be better suited for their age. Is there more for them to do on Royal Carribean than on Disney. Has anybody done both of these cruises and with kids the same age as mine? If so, which cruise did your kids perfer. My DD will miss going to common grounds by 4 months. So I'm thinking what will she do all day. I know Royal Carribean has the Ice Rink, minature golf and on some of their ships the teen group starts at age 12. Have to make a decision soon, cruise is getting close.:confused:

noseybuddy,
Tough question, but I'll contribute my two cents. We have sailed DCL twice (third coming in Nov) and the Voyager-class RCCL ships twice (Explorer of the Seas and Navigator). My DD is now 16, but was 13 and 14 on DCL and 15 for both RCCL cruises.

As far as things to do, RCCL has more. You are correct, the "teen" activities on EOS and NOS are from 12-17, and the teen area is much larger than DCL, especially on NOS where they eliminated a kiddie pool and slide and gave the entire rear part of deck 12 to teens only. They will have the same setup on the soon-to-be-launched Mariner of the Seas.

You really can't make a "wrong" decision. It matters on what kinds of activities people like. If you and your DD / DS want more physical things to do, I think RCCL Voyager class ships are better. As far as atmosphere and "magic", DCL is better. For adults, I find that RCCL has more to do (considerably, IMHO).

I have the Compass activity sheets for our two RCCL cruises posted on my web site. I would suggest you look at them and decide which types of activities you prefer. I also have a specific comparison of the RCCL-Voyager class ships and DCL.

Drop me an e-mail and I can give you the web site address...

mac_tlc

We too were in the same predicament before taking our 3rd DCL cruise...just last week. We went ahead w/ DCL but knew it would be our last...our boys are 11 1/2, 15 and almost 18. DCL is nice for families, little kids but the older teens need more and so do the adults. This cruise we hardly saw any adults out in the clubs after midnight and nothing much was going on as far as activities. We were disappointed about that as this was not our experience last cruise. We are planning on booking w/ RCCL, The Mariner for next summer. Anyone know when we can book this? I called yesterday but they could only book w/out knowing the location of the cabins. I want to wait and book when I know which rooms I'm booking. RCCL sounds fun w/ loads of things go do. I know of a few people on this board who have commented that once their teens did RCCL, they didn't want to go back to DCL. Also, they separate the teens better I think...12-14 and 15-17...more of a specific range than just 13-17. Will post next year after we experience both.

tezb,

RCCL has not released their entire Summer 2004 schedule yet. I have heard various dates for the release but I suspect it will be in August sometime...
Some itineraries are released, like the 9-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Voyager of the Seas out of New York next summer.

mac_tlc

hey mac....you seem like you know lots about RCCL...

would your teens go back to DCL after experiencing the Mega ships? We're really looking forward to trying out the Mariner next summer. Are the Voyager or any other newer ships just like the Mariner as far as size and activities go? We're also thinking of maybe sailing out of Miami instead but the Mariner won't be sailing from that port.

tezb

I think The Navigator is just like the Voyager and Mariner. The Navigator sails out of the Miami port. I was looking at it for July 3 - 10 2004. It is an Eastern Cruise.

You can look at info for 2004 cruises on the Royal Carribean website. www.royalcarribean.com That is where I have been looking at prices for 2004 for the Mariner of the Seas.

Originally posted by mac_tlc

RCCL has not released their entire Summer 2004 schedule yet. I have heard various dates for the release but I suspect it will be in August sometime...
Some itineraries are released, like the 9-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Voyager of the Seas out of New York next summer.

mac_tlc

We are booked on RCCL Radiance of the Seas for an Alaskan cruise next summer (the week before Labor Day).

I am always looking for feedback from folks who have cruised with younger kids (our DS will be 7 when we do this Alaska trip). Also, has anyone with allergies cruised RCCL? DS has a severe peanut allergy

:( :( :( and DCL was very accomodating with that.

funny you should mention that nosebuddy...I was just looking at the Navigator a few hrs ago and printed out someones trip report. That ship sounds great!!

NOS is a beautiful ship. There are alot of things to do on it as well. The NOS offers the rock climbing wall, in line skating, minuture golf and ice skating on at sea days. My DD8 and BIL(22) both preferred NOS over the Magic. THere are many plus and minuses. But sticking to the topic, I seen the teens on the NOS very much out of control. I do not recall seeing that last year on the Magic. Also I do not believe they have teen excursions. And actually 2 teens were almost left in Jamica, the ship actually pulled away from the dock and they were tendered to the ship. THey had gone on a ship excursion to Dunn Rivers Falls, then to Dolphin Cove, well there is not anyone from the ship that goes on the RCCL excusions, and from Dolphin COve you left when you wanted and took a shuttle to the ship, but the shuttle would also take you anywhere else you wanted to go. like town. So who knows where the teens were for hours. (Let's not mention what were the parents thinking:confused: ) So if teen only excusions are important, you may need to do some research.

And I am with mac_tlc NOS is missing the "Magic"

tezb,

Sorry for the delay in responding .. I was "in transit" yesterday.
The Voyager , Explorer, Navigator, Adventure and Mariner are identical in size. The most notable difference is the size of the teen area. On the Navigator and soon-to-be Mariner, they eliminated the kiddie pool area that is aft deck 12 on the VOS/EOS/AOS. That area is now dedicated to teens only RCCL teens are 12-17. In addition to the aft deck 12 area, the teens also have a disco area and a "chill out" area.

Other than that, the ships are identical as far as other activities and amenities go.

The Voyager, Explorer and Navigator sail from Miami, but the Voyager will be going out of New York in the summer of 2004. 9-day Western Caribbean and 5-day Canada itineraries, from May - October 2004.

My DD (16) loves the Voyager-class ships, but also is looking forward to DCL in November.. It will be interseting to evaluate again after that trip.

While we are certified Disney-holics, we really enjoyed the Voyager class ships. Larger cabins than RCCL has historically been known for, unequalled amount of activities and my wife likes the 5c slots!!

My wife and I are also TA's, so we try to really know a product before we recommend it to someone else... Vacations $$$ are tough to come by and deserve some good info before they are spent..

mac_tlc

thanks for all the detailed info mac_tlc...how nice that you're both TA's. Do you know why an internet quote for the Mariner would be more than over the phone w/ RCCL? I just called a couple days ago and was quoted one price and just checked last night at their website and the prices are at least 300.00 more pp. I thought it was cheaper to book online?? Or I hope it didn't go up already? Let me know if you hear of any good deals for the mariner for Summer 2004?? thanks.....

tezb

I just called today to get a quote on the Mariner for the week of July 11, 2004. The women quoted me about $300 to $400 dollars more than what it said on their web site. I asked her if it would be cheaper for me to book it on the web-site. She said hold on I will check it out. Came back and quoted me only about $60 higher. Maybe on the website it did not include any taxes. So I had her hold it for me. They will hold it up to 7 days without putting money down. Think I am going to book this cruise. I was looking at pictures and reading about it on www.travelocity.com.

will check it out nosebuddy. We may also book that week, not sure yet...We have always cruised in July but also thinking of maybe trying end of June. Is 7/11 Eastern or Western?

It is the Eastern. First stop Bahamas 7 - 2. At sea. Next two stops are St. Thomas and St. Maarten 7 - 6 i think. Then there are two days at sea. At first I thought I would do a different one to get another port, but then I thought the ship is so big and so much to do I think I would like having three days at sea.

I know what you mean nosebuddy...really doing it for the ship since we already have seen the Eastern and Western. However, I do want to try and do the Dolphin Swim this time and was thinking of Nassau but they are only there from 7-2 and not sure if that is enough time. If not, can also do it while in Cozumel. Did you book yet? Not sure if we should get 2 rooms or price Royal Family Suite...will have to see which is cheaper. We are family of 5 w/ teenagers.

I have the Junior Suite on hold till Aug. 7th which is a Cat. C Room size 277 sq ft, balcony 69 ft. I have two teenagers, so I think this room will be big enough. Was thinking about the Family suite not Royal Family suite but it doesn't have a verandah and I really want one of them. I probably will book the cruise. I did a dolphin swim at Discovery Cove two years ago so I don't think I would do that. I also stayed at Atlantis in Feb. 2000. Really enjoyed the slides. Would like to do that, but would have to book a room in order to do that. So not sure what I would do at this port. Maybe go to the beach there and get daughters hair braided again. They do a great job!

Yes, we've always had the verandah so we're spoiled and still want it. How much for the junior suite...do you know how many people can stay in that one?

For the JS it is $7496. It has two twin beds that convert to a queen and a sofa bed for two. I don't think this cabin comes with any other type of bedding. Also she told me that all suites have conceirge service. Didn' t really understand what that consist of on a ship since you get food anytime you want and room service.

thanks nosebuddy. that suite sounds like it only sleeps 4. I'm sure the Royal Family Suite is much more. I think we'll just stick to 2 rooms...one w/ verandah for us and Inside Promenade for my 2 older boys...these rooms look cool, w/ window outlooking onto Promenade area...can't wait to get on this ship!

tezb

Let me know which week you pick. Mine is 7/11/04 - 7/18/04.

How old are your sons? Mine son will be 15 at time of sailing, just one month shy of turning 16. My daughter will be 13.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter