Disney with an 18 month old

momma2one09

Earning My Ears
HI fellow Disney lovers!!! I'm new here but have been to Disney over 20 times BUT this will be the first time taking my own child! :love:

I am so excited to start this tradition with my daughter and can not wait to see how she reacts to everything Disney. But i'm also starting to get worried,nervous,scared etc about doing too much with a baby in tow. My dd will be 18 months when we go in Jan'11. We are staying for a week at the Kidani Village in animal kingdom. we choose to go with a villa so i can have access to a full kitchen so i can make our meals and keep dd's diet the same (she has some allergies so i think this is the best way to work around that)

If you guys can let me know any tips, tricks, advice on doing Disney with an 18 month old i'm all ears (lol) Any character dinning,meets etc you think will be good (we did reserve the Donald Duck breakfast at Tusker house) And just anything else you think is a must do with a toddler.

Also my sister lives in St cloud and is going to stay with DD for one night (well this is the plan hopefully i won't go through separation anxiety lol) so if you can recommend something romantic for dh and i to do. a nice restaurant or show. And what is downtown Disney all about lol

And finally any tips on the resort i have never stayed in Animal Kingdom so if you have anything to add to that it would be great!!!

Thanks again!

My now 18 month old daughter has been to WDW 3 times so far. Lucky kid! :) We were there with her when she was 16 months and I have to say it was the most enjoyable trip with her so far.

We're DVC members and stayed in a 1bedroom Villa, which will make your life so much easier. We put her pack-n-play in the closet, so she kinda had her own room. That was so nice and she sleeps much better in her own space.

General tip that you'll hear often, try to keep to your child's sleep schedule. We would go to the parks for a few hours in the morning, back to the villa by 11:30 and she would be down for nap from 12-2. It was a nice break for us as well and we enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and relaxing while she napped.

We did alternate evenings in that one evening we stayed out late with her for the fireworks (she often fell asleep in her stroller, but I felt bad about that) and the next night we'd have her down to sleep at her usual time.

With a toddler, it's important to find safe places for them to run around. Every park has an awesome playground with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS being the best. Just make sure you keep a close watch on your kid as they can get lost there really easily. We would do a few attractions and then head to the playground, play for a bit and have a snack.

That reminds me, don't forget to head to the parks with snacks! I was surprised at how much my kid ate when we were at WDW. Maybe it was because of all the excitement, but damn she was constantly hungry. It also helped with waiting in lines if she had something to munch on.

Do take advantage of child swap for rides that your toddler can't go on. It's very easy to do and we liked going on the "adult" rides. However, the best rides are the ones that everyone can go on. I spent more time watching her face than I did watching what was happening on the ride. My daughter isn't afraid of things yet, so she enjoyed every ride.

We also did a Character Breakfast at the Cape May Cafe and at first she was a little timid with the Characters, but soon she was yelling "GOOFY" and barking at him when he came by. Super cute.

Have a great time and just take it easy. Try not to do too much and do take breaks throughout the day. It will keep your sanity and also your child's. :thumbsup2

10.gif

My now 18 month old daughter has been to WDW 3 times so far. Lucky kid! :) We were there with her when she was 16 months and I have to say it was the most enjoyable trip with her so far.

We're DVC members and stayed in a 1bedroom Villa, which will make your life so much easier. We put her pack-n-play in the closet, so she kinda had her own room. That was so nice and she sleeps much better in her own space.

General tip that you'll hear often, try to keep to your child's sleep schedule. We would go to the parks for a few hours in the morning, back to the villa by 11:30 and she would be down for nap from 12-2. It was a nice break for us as well and we enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and relaxing while she napped.

We did alternate evenings in that one evening we stayed out late with her for the fireworks (she often fell asleep in her stroller, but I felt bad about that) and the next night we'd have her down to sleep at her usual time.

With a toddler, it's important to find safe places for them to run around. Every park has an awesome playground with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS being the best. Just make sure you keep a close watch on your kid as they can get lost there really easily. We would do a few attractions and then head to the playground, play for a bit and have a snack.

That reminds me, don't forget to head to the parks with snacks! I was surprised at how much my kid ate when we were at WDW. Maybe it was because of all the excitement, but damn she was constantly hungry. It also helped with waiting in lines if she had something to munch on.

Do take advantage of child swap for rides that your toddler can't go on. It's very easy to do and we liked going on the "adult" rides. However, the best rides are the ones that everyone can go on. I spent more time watching her face than I did watching what was happening on the ride. My daughter isn't afraid of things yet, so she enjoyed every ride.

We also did a Character Breakfast at the Cape May Cafe and at first she was a little timid with the Characters, but soon she was yelling "GOOFY" and barking at him when he came by. Super cute.

Have a great time and just take it easy. Try not to do too much and do take breaks throughout the day. It will keep your sanity and also your child's. :thumbsup2

Thank you for the tips will definitely check out those playgrounds. We are also doing a one bedroom villa. And what exactly is DVC???

How does the child swap work??

Our son was a little over 2 when we took him. It wasn't the best time we've had on vacation. I guess it depends on the kid. We had fun but it was very stressful and my son was the type who needed a nap or everyone around him would be miserable, lol. I think it's great that some families can take such young ones. Also, my son didn't know many of the characters at that age, so he really didn't understand. This next vacation will be a much better experience! Good luck!!

We will also be there in January 2011 ( 11-16). We are staying at Port Orleans FQ. It will be my DD's third trip (4, 6, and now 8) and our little DD's second trip. She will be 29 months so I am super concerned. I just figure that it won't be the ultimate Disney trip ( that will be in two years :upsidedow) My husband or i will probably take her back for naps ( maybe all of us!) and we will try to remember that her desires are important too! It's so easy to get caught up in the fact that they are only two so who cares what they want but it is for them too, even if they don't remember.:ccat: hope you have a good time.

Tip: we went to chicago last year when she was around 18 months old- if you have a runner GET a harness (leash, whatever) our little one RUNS but doesn't seem to be mind being held close to us with that.:fish:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter