• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disneyana convention??

canda

a Dis board vulture
In our new guide books it list all the activities for the year at wdw.
What is the Disneyana Convention?? Or whatever it was called?

It is a convention for Disney collectors. It's in early September, usually at WDW but sometimes it is at DL. Vendors and Collectors are there to sell Disney collectibles. You can purchase the package and attend the convention, or just purchase a public day ticket.

The Vendor selling is a very small part of the Convention. First off, you need to be a member (I believe) of the Disney Collectors' Society to be able to attend. This convention is put on by Disney so there are behind the scenes seminars, parties, an auction etc. The Society issues sculptures and other merchandise which can only be obtained at the convention.

The last day is public day where the general public are allowed in to shop.

More information can be obtained from the Collectors Board.

Cyn
:bounce:

The Disneyana Convention had been held the week after Labor Day. It is a huge gathering of 'Disney' lovers. There is limited edition merchandise for sale. In addition, there were seminars presented. The seminars dealt with all things Disney, and not just collectibles. At the last convention, one of the seminars was a Mouseketeer reunion. At previous conventions, seminars had folks involved with the development of Animal Kingdom giving presentations, etc. At the large 'Speakers of the Mouse', they usually have some type of special guest....among previous guests Roy Disney, Diane Disney Miller. During the convention, there is usually a welcome reception the first night, a theme park party (after park closing), and a final night banquet with Broadway style show.

The convention only fee this past year was around $900/pp. In addition to the free seminars, there are usually additional 'pay classes' offered by Disney University. These are wonderful! They usually take you behind the scenes in various Disney locales. At the recent convention in CA, they had a tour of the Disney Studios in Burbank, and also a backstage Disneyland Tour.

You did not have to be a member of any collector society...anyone willing to pay the money could go.

That being said...next year the format is changing. It will be at WDW, but will be held Aug 22-24. This past year, it was Sep 4-8. The 8th was public day, and anyone not attending the convention could purchase tickets and be able to purchase the merchandise left. Next year's event is being called 'Official Disneyana Mystery'. The price will be $586 for event only. If you have an AP, $60 may be deducted from the price. No additional info as to the format changes is available yet.

You don't need to be a member of the Collectors Society, but you have to sign up to attend and the packages are expensive. We were at WDW a couple years ago during the convention and there is one day that is open to the public that we went. I keep telling my DH I would like to go just once, but I can't seem to make myself pay those prices. It goes on for a week and they have all sorts of activities, and the packages include you room at the resort, etc, but as I said ... it is very expensive.

Expensive yes...but well worth it if you are a Disney nut! I went this past year (out in DL) and enjoyed it immensely. There were so many activities that you barely had time to eat! LOL

I had to ship many items home (even after bringing an extra empty suitcase) because you are given so many free things. Granted, you're paying a large amount of money up front but you're getting plenty for what you're paying. As Sharon pointed out above, we were able to meet some of the original Mouseketeers, Alice Davis (of the original Alice comedies), Disney artists like Don Duckie Williams (who gave me an original signed sketch of Jiminy Cricket that I will be framing and giving to my father), Randy Noble, Ron Lee...even Marie Osmond was there!

The number of Conventionears is limited to ensure that crowds are kept to a minimum so everyone can look forward to a magical experience.

My mother and I are already signed up for next year's event. My fiance is as NOT into Disney as I am Disney obsessed, so Mom and I have determined it will be a girls trip every year.

If you have any specific questions about the event, please feel free to email me, or check out www.officialdisneyana.com for the official info on next year's event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter