Disneyland's Problems... and Phantasialand's Solutions

Brandonius

Disneyland is fun.
This is a long post. But I think many of my fellow Disneyland enthusiasts may find this interesting.

I had the opportunity to go on a short trip through Europe’s theme parks over Thanksgiving after visiting some family in Paris. I did Disneyland Paris for a day (it was a fantastic trip btw, I’ll be writing a report about it soon), but there were a couple other stops I had to make, which would turn out to be incredible.

I’d heard rumors of a fantastical theme park in Germany called Phantasialand. I knew they had a cool coaster in lots of rockwork called Taron that was universally agreed to be very good, a collection of other pretty good coasters, and next-level theming. This park was one of the highest on my bucket list of any… rivaled only by other world-class parks (or parks home to world class rides) like Tokyo DisneySea, Fuji Q Highland, Islands of Adventure, Cedar Point, and Europa Park.

My verdict after spending 2 days there? This is the greatest theme park on earth all around, bar none. I have trouble imagining how any of the other incredible theme parks around the world will speak to me more than this one. It is practically perfect in every way. Let me highlight 2 ways this especially stood out to me as compared with my previous favorite, Disneyland, and 3 reasons at the end why I think it will always be my favorite park in the world.

The theming is unreal. It has a distinctly different feel to Disney theming. Disney is really good at creating “Instagram moments” - specific moments in the theming or ride that makes you go “wow”. While on my trip at Euro Disney, this struck me really hard in line for Rattitoullie. The theming outside is cute but not mind blowing. Most of the queue is switchbacks or hallways inside. But there are a couple of moments - one in line, one before you board - that make you just go “wow, this is really cool!”. They are great photo opportunities too.

This “Instagram theming” happens a lot America too - think of the queue for Flight of Passage, or the reveal of the Millennium Falcon, to name a couple. Even the structure of Rise of the Resistance - it’s a ride that really only has one or two really impressive set pieces at any one time, with everything else being pretty bland theme wise. Makes it SUPER awesome to take pictures of or describe or market, but it loses depth after several rides. (I’ve ridden Rise 6 times now, and the luster has worn off a lot)

Further, Disney’s rides aren’t very thrilling. (At least for me - a pretty hardcore coaster enthusiast) And if they are thrilling, they aren’t very good thrill rides. Almost all the roller coasters at Disneyland Paris are all fluff and there’s no good ride underneath - space mountain is trash, flight force is trash, crush’s coaster is pretty meh, and Indiana Jones would even be a bad ride at my local six flags. Thunder Mountain is fantastic though. At the US Disney Parks, they have some solidly themed rides (EG Everest), and Space Mountain at DLR is a great ride, but they don’t even do an especially good job mixing their coasters in with theme outside of Thunder Mountain.

Now let me explain what Phantasialand does differently. First, their theming is immaculate. It is 360-degree immersion in a world that is intimately detailed and close to you. The music, the rides, the landscaping, rockwork, food, it all plays into the immersion in each fantastical world. But here’s the weird part - it’s really hard to describe or take pictures of. Because everything is so intimate - the pathways are winding and tiny, everything encircles you, the park is almost literally 3 stories deep because it has such a small footprint - you’re always going up stairs and down stairs criss crossing over and under other stuff - it’s very difficult to encapsulate the feeling of being there.

Further, Phantasialand’s theming isn’t based on any intellectual property. It is just a well crafted world that stands on its own. Think about Galaxy’s edge for a second. If the land was not based on Star wars, I would really not be very interested in the land. It’s very lifeless - not much music or soundscape, no kinetic energy or things to look at - but because I love Star Wars, I love the land. Phantasialand’s theme has to stand on its own - it doesn’t get propped up by anything else. And my word it works SO WELL.

The other thing Phantasialand’s theming does that Disneyland has lost in the last 30 years is kinetic energy - every land (except China I guess) has a hallmark attraction that is always moving. Rookburgh - their incredible steampunk future land - is a tangled mess of F.L.Y. - their masterpiece of a flying roller coaster. But everything is so tangled and surrounding you that you really can’t take a good picture of it, or even explain what’s happening when you stand in the middle of it. But it’s gorgeous and full of energy. Standing in the middle of the land and watching the ride zoom overhead fills you with joy - I want to go ride that! I just want to enjoy being here! This is awesome! Standing in the middle of Klugheim and listening to Taron zoom down into that second launch and make that hilarious roaring noise literally still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Disneyland USED to have this in spades in Tomorrowland. The only place you can really see it today is Pixar Pier. The parks overall feel pretty static. Instagram backgrounds. Don’t get me wrong - I adore the Disney parks. But Phantasialand has them on the theming. It’s intimate, detailed, and impossible to describe without being immersed.

Then the rides. Oh man, the rides. When it comes to dark rides and family rides, nobody does it better than Disney. I can’t deny that. But I’m not all about the family rides. I have a list of the most insane coasters around the world - rides that I hope will redefine the way I think about amusement rides. I went out of my way to experience one of those - Ride to Happiness at Plopsaland De Panne in Belgium - this trip. I care immensely about unique, thrilling experiences. But not just for the thrill - I love a quality, fun ride just as much.

Phantasialand delivers both at once.

The setting is there - an incredible theme, gorgeous soundtracks and scores for every land, and immaculate operations - an often overlooked component of the enjoyability of a park! Six Flags can get so tiresome because they dispatch their trains SO SLOWLY, whereas Disney parks or other top tier parks work as hard as they can to pump people through those rides.

The rides don’t disappoint. Out of the 88 coasters I’ve ridden, 3 of Phantasialand’s rides sit in my top 10. (Taron at #1, F.L.Y. at #3, and Black Mamba at #8) The rides are long, well themed, and provide an overall experience from the second you step into the queue line to the walk out of the exit, thrilling and fun, but are not so intense or crazy that they give any hint of sickness. They are rides that anyone from the Disney sphere of theme park fandom that are more daring could ride and not get sick on. They are incredibly well made coasters. Every ride at Phantasialand is best of its kind from around the world.

Taron - a stunning launch coaster that weaves in and out of rockwork.

F.L.Y. - Half dark ride, half steampunk joyride, half launched flying roller coaster, an unbelievable experience that is unmatched by any other flying coaster around the world. The technology of this ride is amazing, the experience is better.

Black Mamba - an Inverted Roller Coaster diving through canyons and trenches but isn’t so intense your feet feel like they’re going to be ripped off

Colorado Adventure - A western mine train that is almost better than Thunder Mountain! It’s certainly more thrilling, and goes full-on Space Mountain mode halfway through!

Winjas - A pair of indoor spinning coasters that have every gimmick in the book! An elevator lift that tilts you out of the elevator into a drop, a “trick track” that stops you, tilts you a different direction, then lets you go mid ride, and an actual bounce track that literally bounces down and back up while you are still in motion on it.

I could go on but you get the idea. Incredible coasters. They don’t have any top tier dark rides, but they don’t need it. They have plenty of strong enough dark rides, lots of other types of family coasters, and lots of shows and walkthrough experiences.

I could talk about all the insane hidden gems and gorgeous parts of this park for another several thousand words, but I won’t. One last thing that I think will resonate especially with my fellow Disneyland fans, and really is the main reason I chose to post this HERE instead of somewhere else.

The current “state of Phantasialand” feels remarkably similar to Disneyland. They were forced to stop selling all annual passes recently due to super high demand. The only way you can get in is through reservation-specific tickets. The atmosphere and quality of the park are things I had only experienced at Disneyland. They even have 3 highly themed hotels that are much like on property hotels at the DLR! (Except they are all… right next to the park. And have much more in-depth themes)

Here were the things I noticed about quality of life at this park that pushed it over Disneyland for me. I visited for 2 days - the first day was literally empty - we walked on to everything. The second day was one of the busiest in the last 365 based on thrill data - every single line was out the entrance of its respective ride, and walkways were packed. So I got both sides of the coin.

1. No phones. Anywhere.
    1. They have a mobile app that shows wait times and a map, but most people were just using physical maps. And there are super helpful billboards at every major intersection in the parks that show wait times for every ride and where to go to get there.
    2. Nowhere has mobile order. At first I was skeptical of that because I like any good gen Z-er LOVE mobile order. But it worked! Every restaurant had one line - hop in line. Every single worker (and they have LOTS) are working to move people through that one line. I never waited more than 15 minutes for food, and I chose to get in line for churros right in the evening when the line was about as long as I could bear.
    3. No Genie+. They do have an individual Fastpass system, but you have to go talk to a real person (ew!) at a booth to pick them up for like $10 per person per skip. But do you need it? Well…
  2. Reliable Rides and Fast Operations
    1. Every ride went down for a bit during my trip. But they had staff there SO FAST and they were all back up and running within minutes. It was not long at all. They took such good care of their rides!
    2. Also they had immaculate operations on every ride. They were running 4 trains on Taron. 3 on FLY. For those of you that have only ever ridden Disney Coasters, that’s a huge deal! They were running rides with a modern lap bars and vest restraints and dispatching trains in less than 60 seconds consistently. In those 60 seconds people even had to put all their bags in the bins on the opposite side of the ride platform, which never happens at Disney! Everyone just keeps the bag on the ride with them. It was incredible. Every line moved so fast. I waited 80+ minutes for Taron multiple times and the speed that line moved at was awesome.
    3. We got a taste of this at Disneyland before Magic Keys came back and before Genie was back and I gotta say, I liked it a lot. VIP still existed, but the park and the system was just SO DARN EFFICIENT when all the workers had to do was move through that one line and all we had to worry about was guests was picking our next ride. No nickel and diming left and right, which brings me to my last differentiator…
  3. Park Pride
    1. How much does a ticket to get into this incredible place cost you ask? $45 USD. $55 on a super busy day. How much was the parking? $5 USD. How much was the food? Normal US fast food prices - $8-10 for a quality sandwich, burger, burrito, or whatever. They aren’t squeezing everything out of you - they are creating a quality experience and charging a reasonable price. No way that ever happens in America.
    2. The last thing that I appreciate…. This place legitimately puts the guest experience first. It’s such a charming park - every employee clearly loves working there. There is so much TLC put in. It just feels loved like Disneyland doesn’t right now.

If you care at all about theme parks in any way, go to Phantasialand before you die. If you care at all about Disneyland right now, go to Phantasialand and see what the experience SHOULD be like so you don’t get gaslit into thinking the current status quo is normal. (which was happening to me!) If you’re not willing to make the trip all the way out there, just look at some pics and videos of the place. It’s not even close to being there in person, but it’s just such an incredible park that nobody seems to talk about.

Not really sure what the point of all that was except that DL has some serious work to do right now and there ARE places around the world that are doing it right. Any questions or thoughts lmk. I could gush about this place for hours. And I have.

My recent experience in a 6-Flags park; 6-Flags does pay-for-cuts better than Disney by a considerable margin, and I HATE the 6-Flags pay-for-cuts system. It's better because it costs a fortune and almost nobody uses it. You get in a 45-minute line and you are on the ride in 45 minutes. The line moves for the entire 45 minutes. It really doesn't seem like too much to ask for. I don't think I looked at my phone once the whole day - could have left it in the car in fact.

Yep, all the way for Phantasialand! I'm in the UK so slightly closer, although it's still a big trek. I first went in the early 80s, at that point they had the China section with the Geister Riksha (omnimover-type Chinese-themed ghost train) which was amazing (it's still there), the two intertwined Schwarzkopf coasters in a huge mountain, destroyed by fire in later years, and a few other bits and pieces. But it's expanded so much since then. I've ridden Black Mamba but haven't been there yet to try Taron and F.L.Y. I LOVE Mystery Castle (the indoor drop tower), and River Quest is a rapids ride which does things you don't expect a rapids ride to do and has the best drop reveal ever...

I've stayed at the Chinese-themed hotel and the theming in there puts any Disney hotel to shame.

Definitely in my top 10 world theme parks, along with Efteling (Netherlands) which also has outrageous theme and style, and Europa Park (Germany) which again rivals Disney for themeing and again the hotels are way better themed. Europa Park is sometimes considered as being "inspired" by Epcot - you can take that or leave it!

These parks have not gone in the direction of basing everything around IP and movie franchises, and they're all the better for it.

Video of River Quest that one of my friends shot during a club trip years ago. Note that he stuffs the camera into a plastic bag at the web sections so you don't actually see the "moments of wetness", but you can see how much fun this is. NB contains spoilers for the ride as you can't see what happens from outsidfe tghre ride, and there is some slight language!

Sounds awesome! I'll add it to my list along with Europa Park and Efteling.

Also if you're more a coaster person, you probably shouldn't go to Tokyo Disneysea (or TDL). It's not a coaster heavy experience but rather "Disneyland but better".

Sounds awesome! I'll add it to my list along with Europa Park and Efteling.

Also if you're more a coaster person, you probably shouldn't go to Tokyo Disneysea (or TDL). It's not a coaster heavy experience but rather "Disneyland but better".
I know. I appreciate both parts of the parks - I love coasters and I love a good dark ride. Phantasialand just spoke to me in a unique way because it put them both together. Tokyo DisneySea's theming is something I would love to just go and soak in for 2-3 days...

My niece and her husband (who live in Germany) have been begging me to go there for years.

I'm going in October. Thanks for the review!

I am so confused by the purpose of taking the time to come on to somebody’s thread about something they love to say that you don’t think you’d like it. I mean, it’s one thing to share that you’ve experienced somethjng and felt differently about it…

Anyway, I’m off to google video as I’m super curious. My 13 year old is going from the US to Switzerland with scouts this summer-this would be an amazing add on.

Ummm... Because I live close, have been there myself and yeah, I will comment on a post saying the complete opposite of my experience. I edited my post to make this more clear.

We go about once a year when we visit friends in the area. I usually tag along although it is not my cup of tea because everyone but me us a coaster person and I like spending time with my friends.

If you love your rides and go during off season yeah, the initial statement will hit the mark for you. Still: Go in summer especially during school holidays and the park will make Disneyland during Fall Break look like a ghost town. 4 hour wait for the popular coasters are not unheard of during that time.

Foor prices... yes, cheaper that Disneyland. But the quality sucks even more than US theme park food and the portions are a lot more tiny. In Disneyland two of us Germans usually share a portion, so even with the recent price hike it is no savings for us there.

The Steampunk area looks insanely cool, agreed on that. But again it is centered around the coaster.

Phantasialand is a coaster park. Nothing wrong about that. But it does not offer the solution to Disneyland problems, totally different audience. Very few German parks have a local crowd coming in throughout the week, and certainly not the size Disneyland has - Europa Park hires its hotels out for seminars and trade trainings a lot, that's how I get to go there for example.

Ummm... Because I live close, have been there myself and yeah, I will comment on a post saying the complete opposite of my experience. I edited my post to make this more clear.

We go about once a year when we visit friends in the area. I usually tag along although it is not my cup of tea because everyone but me us a coaster person and I like spending time with my friends.

If you love your rides and go during off season yeah, the initial statement will hit the mark for you. Still: Go in summer especially during school holidays and the park will make Disneyland during Fall Break look like a ghost town. 4 hour wait for the popular coasters are not unheard of during that time.

Foor prices... yes, cheaper that Disneyland. But the quality sucks even more than US theme park food and the portions are a lot more tiny. In Disneyland two of us Germans usually share a portion, so even with the recent price hike it is no savings for us there.

The Steampunk area looks insanely cool, agreed on that. But again it is centered around the coaster.

Phantasialand is a coaster park. Nothing wrong about that. But it does not offer the solution to Disneyland problems, totally different audience. Very few German parks have a local crowd coming in throughout the week, and certainly not the size Disneyland has - Europa Park hires its hotels out for seminars and trade trainings a lot, that's how I get to go there for example.

I wasn’t referencing you-I was referencing the person above who said it sounds boring.

I wasn’t referencing you-I was referencing the person above who said it sounds boring.
You could have asked me directly instead of being vague then. It sounds boring because I'm not a coaster person, so this park sounds like it has nothing for me to do and sitting on a bench by myself while I wait for ppl going on coasters sounds horrible to me (it's why I don't go to six flags for example). The solution to Disneyland is not having more coasters :confused3 Not saying this german park is not an awesome place to go, but to me it sounds boring.

I am so confused by the purpose of taking the time to come on to somebody’s thread about something they love to say that you don’t think you’d like it. I mean, it’s one thing to share that you’ve experienced somethjng and felt differently about it…

Anyway, I’m off to google video as I’m super curious. My 13 year old is going from the US to Switzerland with scouts this summer-this would be an amazing add on.
There is no rule against posting opposing opinions. Nobody on this thread was being disrespectful.

There is no rule against posting opposing opinions. Nobody on this thread was being disrespectful.
Yes, and fair too when the original post is in part being presented in comparison to Disneyland. While Phantasialand doesn't appeal to me, it sounds like a fun option for many.

Two things I'll note about the park that friends who've gone have shared (which also contribute to my lack of interest) is the prevalent smoking they encountered as well as the general inaccessibility of the park. Which for the latter, yes, given the small footprint and other general descriptions of the park I've read, make sense. But obviously would make the park not very friendly or accommodating to a lot of people. And the smoking would definitely be a turn-off to me, so I'm curious whether that's still the case there.

Someone posting an 'opposite' PoV can be very helpful. It may be an amazing park, but for someone (like me) who suffers from motion sickness it would probably end up being a very expensive mistake. I don't go to 6 Flags or Knott's because, even though they're cheaper than DL, I don't go to amusement parks to walk around and watch the rides I CAN'T go on.

Maybe 'boring' wasn't the best word for that poster to use, but it did get the point across.

When my wife and I visited Tokyo DisneySea, we enjoyed the attractions but found the overall EXPERIENCE of the park is what sucked us in. On our second day, in fact, we rode very few attractions but just wandered the park and enjoyed layer upon layer of immersive, themed detail. The way the OP explained the Phantasialand experience, it sounds like even a non-coaster person could have a wonderful time exploring and experiencing the environments, no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter