Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook disabled my account with no reason given. I will be doing updates on my web site and find another way to get updates out there.

Crazyness! I just had to come out of lurkdom and say that this would be such a loss for the community and, dare I say, Disney itself. In all honesty, if it wasn't for your facebook page, with its constant updates and photos, esp. recently about the oasis pool progress, I probably wouldn't have booked our April stay at the Poly (CL GV). I wish you all the best finding a solution, be it on fb or your web site. Thank you for your great work and dedication!

Crazyness! I just had to come out of lurkdom and say that this would be such a loss for the community and, dare I say, Disney itself. In all honesty, if it wasn't for your facebook page, with its constant updates and photos, esp. recently about the oasis pool progress, I probably wouldn't have booked our April stay at the Poly (CL GV). I wish you all the best finding a solution, be it on fb or your web site. Thank you for your great work and dedication!

I have to second this. When I saw that the Oasis pool would likely be open for our May trip, I upgraded our SV to GV CL. I have very much appreciated the detail you provide about the different long houses and all the photos of the resort.

Any chance of moving your dates to mid/end July? There is a magical deal at the Poly but also at CS for those dates. The CS rooms are about $100 per night including tax.

What??!! That's incredible! Just to be clear, you're talking about Coronado Springs, right? Our dates are very flexible - we just thought the best deluxe deals were in late August, and they are. But with everything in limbo right now, I'd like to know all of our viable options. Do you or anyone else have any info on the TIKIFEST and or EAUG16 (I just looked them up on the website)?

Sorry...I'm off topic....especially here on the POLY thread! :crazy2:

Last edited:
oh that's ridiculous! I'm sorry your account was disabled - you provided so much joy with the pictures - you are always so respectful to Disney, the property and all of us fans...

Yes, joy! How much I enjoyed scrolling through my newsfeed and seeing pics of the Polynesian- whether it be construction updates or just beautiful pics people shared with you. Stupid facebook! :( Thanks for all you do, Steve!

So...we stayed in Rarotonga last summer. I loved it, DH not so much. He felt it was a little run down looking (and he STILL mentions the dead mouse in the shrubbery just a few feet from our patio). I can't imagine a more convenient longhouse! We walked out that door and we were at the GCH or the bus stop or TTC! And I loved our monorail view, as did our little girl.

I didn't go with Samoa last summer because of the construction, but I'm thinking I might try for it this year. I'd love volcano pool view. Honest opinions- too noisy? We prefer ground floor. Will we regret this? We might come back for short afternoon naps. Maybe Niue is a better option? Thanks all!

$0.59?? :sad: We have 14 days booked at GF. I'm cutting back on ADRs, and only booking TS half the time. Our first week will be all CS meals, second week my friend arrives so we'll do TS then but prob the less expensive ones. Suvie budget is taking a hit too. Ugh. We didn't take our usual January trip this year, and prob won't next year. Was more work related than $ related but now I think, just as well.

Can your son just come the first week, if he doesn't want to use 2 weeks? You could fly down together and he can leave after 1sr week. It's easy to get to mco with resort airport check in and DME. He'd just need a friend or family to pick him up at home airport.

I'm sticking with Magical Deal GF Labour Day. I have flights booked and most of GF paid off. As you say, it's not that much more then Moderate. Hopefully next August 2017 will be better. Or I may be looking at a moderate. We love POR.

We will be driving. I don't think we'll get there any cheaper than that!

We stayed at GF in 2014. Such a beautiful resort! Poly the next year. I think I'm spoiled! :)

Facebook disabled my account with no reason given. I will be doing updates on my web site and find another way to get updates out there.
So strange they would disable your acct. Glad to hear you're still planning to get updates out there. I'll miss seeing all the photos people post.

What??!! That's incredible! Just to be clear, you're talking about Coronado Springs, right? Our dates are very flexible - we just thought the best deluxe deals were in late August, and they are. But with everything in limbo right now, I'd like to know all of our viable options. Do you or anyone else have any info on the TIKIFEST and or EAUG16 (I just looked them up on the website)?

Sorry...I'm off topic....especially here on the POLY thread! :crazy2:

Yes, I am taking about Coronado Springs :) The best deals are usually the end of August, but the Tikifest one is really good. Tikifest has both the Poly and Coronado Springs. We are staying at the Poly, but I did get a quote on CS and it was @$100 per night. Let me know if you have any questions!

Well said--I second this!

We just returned from a week at the Poly (and our first WDW trip) and it was wonderful. We had a Lagoon View room and enjoyed being able to get a glimpse of the castle and watch Wishes from our room. Did not notice any construction although we were on the far side of the resort. We arrived a couple days early (drove down and wanted to get ahead of bad weather) so we added 2 nights at AKL and a day visit to Animal Kingdom. We thought AKL was beautiful in the lobby but the room was underwhelming and food options only so so. The Poly feels like home! I am already planning our next trip and would like to try another resort but I'm afraid nothing will compare (the beautiful grounds, monorail, great restaurants, the smell of GCH, dole whip every night!). If we return this year we will likely only do Magic Kingdom. I imagine the draw to BC, YC and BWI is the walk to Epcot but are the worth looking into if we plan to only do MK (maybe one day Epcot, maybe)? We walked through GF and it was also beautiful but I just felt more relaxed at the Poly (especially with 2 young kids ages 1 and 4). Didn't get the chance to check out CR other than riding through on the monorail. Is it worth the risk to try something else?

Just returned home from a fantastic stay at the Poly!

We were in Fiji, first floor and marina side. We loved this room! No major noise and close to the GCH. The patio is not necessarily very private because a lot of people use the side walk by the marina, but we didn't mind. I loved waking up and watching the sun rise over the main pool and GCH. We did notice some sticky carpet and the water has that "swampy" smell to it that seems common throughout Florida, but I'm guessing correcting that would require some pretty hard core water filtration systems to be added or upgraded.

We found transportation to be easy and efficient. The monorail schedule worked out just fine, and the resort beam was back online early once which was nice. Overall that didn't end up being an issue at all and we took naps mid-day.

Online check-in was very smooth and worked well. Check-out was a little more confusing. They seem to be training some new CP recruits. They were often confused and had forgotten to prepare and deliver our DME paperwork and final folio/bill. We had done a split stay at BWI and it was emailed and very easy, so this surprised us some. But they corrected everything quickly, and it was fine. Only other service issue was that we came across a few CMs that weren't as into the magic as others usually are. They weren't rude or anything... they just seemed more worried about the super bowl than keeping up with the magic.

All of our meals were very good (Captain Cooks, Ohana breakfast) and we ate many dole whip floats. YUM! Ohana might be our new favorite Character breakfast. It was easy, fun, friendly, yummy, clean and beautiful. Just all around FUN.

Overall I give the stay a solid 8.5 and DH gives it a 9. I think we will return to the Poly for our next stay. We just love the location, the atmosphere and how family friendly it is. It is our favorite MK resort we've tried so far, and just truly magical.

Thank you everyone and maiapapaya for this amazing thread!

Thanks for your review! Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the Poly. We have tried several resorts over the years and have loved them all, but the Poly remains our favorite :goodvibes.

Wanted to add a picture from the patio. This is from room 1313.

View attachment 148407 View attachment 148408

Nice pic, thanks for sharing :flower3:.

We did it last summer. We heard ahead of time, thanks to this board, that the portions are huge. We are a party of 4 (2 adults and two kids, 6 and 4). We just ordered for two adults. It was amazing! You got EVERYTHING!!!! and lots of it!!! We all ate like kings and still had lots of leftovers. I have pictures on this thread on page 167 of the meal. It was cheaper because we didn't pay for two kids, and we didn't need a reservation! Kids got to watch tv during dinner and we ate on the balcony! One of our favorite meals on the trip and we fully intend of doing it again this August when we go back!

I am definitely considering this on our next Poly stay ::yes::.

View attachment 148418

Absolutely you should do it!!! We ordered it twice this week....one of my favorite meals on Disney property!! It was about $53 including gratuity, and the meal was more than enough for two adults. There is also pot stickers, noodles and veggies under the meat plate. Very delicious

Looks awesome!! :thumbsup2

On our way home from our trip..we were there for 8 days and the only construction we noticed was the E pool.

Hope you had a great trip :).

[GALLERY=]View attachment 148439 [/GALLERY]

Doing this from my phone so I don't know how it will show here. It's the same picture I posted on 9/21/15. This was for 2 adults.

That's a lot of food.....and it all looks delicious! :goodvibes

Will they deliver to Omaha?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This is a great option! I'm definately doing this! It will be enough food for my husband and I. I can just imagine sitting on our balcony enjoying this feast! Thanks for posting!!!!:thumbsup2

I'm thinking the same thing ;).

How about Jersey!:rotfl2:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This is super helpful! How to toddlers like this resort? This is our first trip, and I'm taking a 3 and 5 year old. I know the value resorts are more entertaining for kids, but I'm shooting for convenience.

We don't have little ones, but I think they'd love it! The pool is fun and it's great being able to watch the fireworks while swimming. There's also a kids splash play area :thumbsup2.

I spent the past 6 months viewing this thread and realized I should contribute a super high level review after returning a few weeks ago after staying at the Poly during marathon weekend. This was our 3rd trip to Disney World, the previous 2 times we stayed at GF and BC.

We reserved a standard room and at check in time requested 1st floor Fiji, then followed that up with the TP fax specifically requesting Fiji 1315 which is 1st floor facing the marina. We ended up getting 1319 which was great.

A few pros

I really liked the fact Captain Cook’s is 24 hr. The food was great and the staff was really helpful.

Staff was awesome. I know I mentioned that above, but we utilized the front desk staff for some GC issues and they were great.

I never saw the old lobby, but I liked the new one just fine. This includes the overall themeing and feel of the resort. It kinda had an older feel to it, but nothing that made me feel like I wasn’t getting my values worth from the resort.

Someone asked about the lei when you arrive and that was one of my favorite touches. It was unexpected and so I was already mega excited when pulling up on the ME and that intro just set the trip off on the right foot.

A few cons

Apparently my wife found some trash/food wrapping when we got in the room the first day.

No divider between sink area and toilet / shower area which is tough because we pack 5 of us in the room.

We spend very little time in the room, so in hindsight I wish I would have chosen a longhouse closer to the bus pickup and TTC. We chose Fiji because of the view and the fact it was far from the construction, but in reality that ended up causing us a lot more walking each morning and evening to catch the resort transportation or get back to the room at the end of the day. That’s not a knock on the Poly, but more of something I wish I would have taken into more consideration when choosing a LH.

For me personally I hold the Poly and CR in a special place because they are the original resorts so I’m glad I’ve had the opportunity to check Poly off my list. My goal is to try and stay at a few more different resorts before picking a favorite, but no complaints on the Poly. We loved it and would highly recommend it.

Thanks for your review, glad you had a nice stay :wizard:.

just paid off our split stay for april!! so pumped!!!

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I didn't go with Samoa last summer because of the construction, but I'm thinking I might try for it this year. I'd love volcano pool view. Honest opinions- too noisy? We prefer ground floor. Will we regret this? We might come back for short afternoon naps. Maybe Niue is a better option? Thanks all!

We stayed in Samoa, first floor but faced the quiet pool and we loved it! We don't have little ones so no naps, but it was pretty quiet (and we spent a lot of time at the resort, so we were there in the middle of the day). The volcano pool is a pretty view, but I thought our quiet pool view was just as nice. We loved Samoa, though, as it was very convenient to everything ;).

We stayed at GF in 2014. Such a beautiful resort! Poly the next year. I think I'm spoiled! :)

I agree! The Poly is our favorite overall, but the GF runs a very close second for me :goodvibes.

We just returned from a week at the Poly (and our first WDW trip) and it was wonderful. We had a Lagoon View room and enjoyed being able to get a glimpse of the castle and watch Wishes from our room. Did not notice any construction although we were on the far side of the resort. We arrived a couple days early (drove down and wanted to get ahead of bad weather) so we added 2 nights at AKL and a day visit to Animal Kingdom. We thought AKL was beautiful in the lobby but the room was underwhelming and food options only so so. The Poly feels like home! I am already planning our next trip and would like to try another resort but I'm afraid nothing will compare (the beautiful grounds, monorail, great restaurants, the smell of GCH, dole whip every night!). If we return this year we will likely only do Magic Kingdom. I imagine the draw to BC, YC and BWI is the walk to Epcot but are the worth looking into if we plan to only do MK (maybe one day Epcot, maybe)? We walked through GF and it was also beautiful but I just felt more relaxed at the Poly (especially with 2 young kids ages 1 and 4). Didn't get the chance to check out CR other than riding through on the monorail. Is it worth the risk to try something else?

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the Poly! I think the GF would be a great choice for your next trip. It does have a different feel/atmosphere from the Poly, but it's just as kid friendly. The Poly is our favorite for the reasons you mention, but the GF is also very nice. If it were me, I'd try the GF, especially since your time will be spent at MK. Good luck! :wizard:

My account is active again and the Tikiman Facebook page is available.

I intended on trying a new resort- probably BC or CR. And I just couldn't do it. Like you, Poly feels like home! I was watching a DIS podcast and they had a video of the Poly with the Poly music playing...I got the warm and fuzzies and couldn't stay away! I was nervous about being disappointed too, if I tried something different. I looked into BC and I felt the food was lacking, so I ruled that out (though the idea of walking to Epcot sounds amazing!) and CR just doesn't have the theming that I love. But man, it would be fun to walk to MK, wouldn't it? And I would be on the magical deal, so it would just be the garden wing anyway. Poly it is! I just can't deny it! It's just perfect. Best view, best food, great pool, beautiful grounds, sweet smelling lobby, monorail, walk to TTC...I could go on!!

YAY Steve, glad you're back!! I look forward to pictures popping up on my newsfeed every day! :)

Joining in on the Poly fun!

We booked the magical deal as well and will be arriving 8/20 for 10 nights. I'm so excited because the Poly has always been my dream Disney resort! I've been reading as much as I can on the Tikiman website and have slowly tried to read through all the posts here to get all the info. I think I am going to have a hard time choosing a longhouse. I have a bit of time though!

We are booked at the Poly for late April and have been trying to find updates on the current state of the resort refurb. Can anyone give me a simple idea of what might still be closed or under construction? We're still 3 months out, but just curious. Thanks.

Less than one month from our Poly stay in a DVC lagoon view. Woo hoo! That is all. :woohoo:

Okay, maybe not all. Any suggestions on room requests? I was thinking just top floor. I know it's just one building for DVC lagoon view, so that probably limits things.

If the spirit of aloha show is cancelled do you get a refund? Going Sat night and right now it's not looking good. Hopefully the weather folks don't know what they're talking about. Thanks! :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter