Disney's Rhetorical Question - What will you Celebrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a brilliant promotion - it will get tons of Orlando and Florida residents who can daytrip to plunk down big $$$ on dining, bringing the rest of the family, shopping in the park and it does not really cost Disney a penny. A great strategy during a recession.

One day park admission for one person is not going to induce anyone to book a trip involving a hotel/airfare - but I am sure it will greatly increase park attendendance and revenue from FL residents and locals.

It's a brilliant promotion - it will get tons of Orlando and Florida residents who can daytrip to plunk down big $$$ on dining, bringing the rest of the family, shopping in the park and it does not really cost Disney a penny. A great strategy during a recession.

One day park admission for one person is not going to induce anyone to book a trip involving a hotel/airfare - but I am sure it will greatly increase park attendendance and revenue from FL residents and locals.

You're so right. I suspect that attendance from their own state has declined and they will draw some of them back this way. From my perspective, it wouldn't encourage me to book a trip but if they are trying to bring in the locals, then it just might work.

One day park admission for one person is not going to induce anyone to book a trip involving a hotel/airfare
Well, that's not necessarily true. See the Budget Board, and sites like Fatwallet and GottaDeal. Plenty of people are looking for free, or money-stretching, options.

We'll be leaving Disney just 6 days before DS's birthday -trip planned well before the promotion was released. Can't change it, so it's a bit of a bummer, but what can you do? Maybe it would be nice if they offered it within the week of your birthday or something, but that would cost them more, so I understand it.

I thought I just read that you can pick up your birthday pass up to 7 days prior to the date. I'll go check again..Be right back!

I'm Back...Here it is:

COMPLIMENTARY BIRTHDAY THEME PARK ADMISSION

** You can either pre-register for your complimentary birthday admission or fill out forms at the gate. The following restrictions apply:

You must be 18 to register online. If you are under the age of 18, an adult must register for you
You must produce proof of your birth date and appropriate ID which includes a Driver's license, State or Government issued ID or Government issued Passport. If you are under age 18 and do not have any of the above, either an original or notarized birth certificate must be shown
This offer applies to guests ages 3 and up and is open to all
If you arrive prior to your birthday, you can pick up your birthday ticket up to seven days in advance at a "Will Call" window. The ticket will only be valid on your birthday
You can upgrade your ticket at an additional cost and it can only be used by the birthday celebrant. Select guests who receive the One Day/One Park ticket which is valid for 12 months may not upgrade it.

If you have a multi-day ticket or are a Seasonal/Annual Passholder, you can choose from the following options:

A One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket which can be used anytime before your next birthday
A special "Birthday FastPass" for the celebrant and up to 5 members in his/her party - NOTE: These are limited and may not be available after 11:00am
A Birthday Fun Card (see below) equal in price to a One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket that can be used on your birthday for merchandise, activities and activities. (Adults receive the equivalent of an adult ticket, kids age 3 -9 get the equivalent of a child's ticket)

I'm Back...Here it is:

COMPLIMENTARY BIRTHDAY THEME PARK ADMISSION

** You can either pre-register for your complimentary birthday admission or fill out forms at the gate. The following restrictions apply:

You must be 18 to register online. If you are under the age of 18, an adult must register for you
You must produce proof of your birth date and appropriate ID which includes a Driver's license, State or Government issued ID or Government issued Passport. If you are under age 18 and do not have any of the above, either an original or notarized birth certificate must be shown
This offer applies to guests ages 3 and up and is open to all
If you arrive prior to your birthday, you can pick up your birthday ticket up to seven days in advance at a "Will Call" window. The ticket will only be valid on your birthday
You can upgrade your ticket at an additional cost and it can only be used by the birthday celebrant. Select guests who receive the One Day/One Park ticket which is valid for 12 months may not upgrade it.

If you have a multi-day ticket or are a Seasonal/Annual Passholder, you can choose from the following options:

A One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket which can be used anytime before your next birthday
A special "Birthday FastPass" for the celebrant and up to 5 members in his/her party - NOTE: These are limited and may not be available after 11:00am
A Birthday Fun Card (see below) equal in price to a One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket that can be used on your birthday for merchandise, activities and activities. (Adults receive the equivalent of an adult ticket, kids age 3 -9 get the equivalent of a child's ticket)

Thank you Alexander, I appreciate your help!! But I highlighted a few parts of what you quoted from Disney, b/c I'm still a little confused.

The first red statement says it is only valid on the birthday, then it says if you have a multi-day ticket (which we (he -DS) will, you can get a ticket good for up to a year, or the other things. So would that ticket good for up to a year have to be picked up ON the birthday? Or can you get that up to 7 days in advance as well? Would it only be valid from current bday to next bday?

We're considering a possible return in Dec, so if we can pick it up, that might work.

I'd actually prefer the Fast Pass, but I have a feeling that is ONLY good on the current bday, right?

No complaints here if we (DS) can't get anything, just trying to figure it all out. Thanks again, Alexander!

Promotion or not, just be happy you get to go. There are a lot of people who cannot afford to even travel to there local water parks and other means of leisure.:sad2:

I could have gone in May for my birthday/anniversary (both the same day) and gotten the buy 4 get 3 deal and my birthday free.
But we decided to go in Feb. and getting a better deal, buy 4 get 3 and the $200 dollar gift card.

I agree with the others that its a good promotion, sorry you chose not to go on your birthday, but that's not Disney's fault.

With the pre-registration thing, does anyone know if signing up on the website to play the daily game also registers you for the promo at WDW? I thought it did but I can't really find clear info. about that on the website (it gives me a bunch of Flash errors...I can barely play the game).

As far as I'm concerned, Disney gives us a reason to celebrate, with all of their generous booking promotions, especially, the 4/3 promotion. We were going anyway, but we were not going to do a split stay, until the announcement of this deal. This deal is allowing us our dream vacation-1 week at the Poly and 1 week at the Grand Floridian. We are celebrating pixiedust: DISNEY, for spreading pixiedust: the Pixie Dust pixiedust: party: pixiedust:

Now, see... this baffles me.

I'm stunned that Disney can offer Free Admission for one day to every man, woman, and child in the world... and folks will wring their hands, gnash their teeth, and froth at the mouth about what a horrible, worthless thing Disney is doing.

I suppose there really is no pleasing some folks.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Litebeer!

I love that they included a catch for those who have purchased multi-day tickets, and AP holders.
We are going in 2 weeks, on MLK weekend. Like a PP, I would never go on a holiday weekend, but my my son and my mother are celebrating a birthday that weekend.
So as far as I see, it is a brilliant promotion! We are staying 5 days, to hit both birthdays, and spending $500 on hotels, plus gas and dining, (not to mention souvies for the 3 non-birthday people) in order to get 2 gift cards! :rotfl:
Believe me, disney will definately end up in the black! (which is, after all, the purpose of the promotion!)

I don't get the promotion at all. Maybe some people get excited with just the word "free" but you have to look at all involved. I really don't pay attention to the promotions anyway. We go when the time and money is right. Besides locals, people going to Disney for a week will be buying 6-7-8 day passes so if my birthday just happened to be on the week we were there I could buy a 6 day pass with everyone else paying 7 days and save about 5 dollars!!
My thought also is if there are going to come up with a theme to try to attract people this was just plain dumb.

We are going May 2009, (23-30th)

My son turns 5 in May (but a few days before we leave). My sister also has a birthday, earlier in May. This same sister graduates college right before we leave. But we are taking my 2 sisters (my son and daughters' godmothers) this year together as a family--regardless.

The promotion doesn't fall 'in our favor', no. We could try to change the dates just to get the promo, but not sure if it's worth all the fanangling of details, It's one of those, oh, that's too bad, but not a buzz-kill by any means.

The fact that we can go again (after twice in 2008), and go all together, will be awesome :banana:

All that said, I was more enchanted with YoaMD, as I think the sheer mystery and excitement of that promotion was exciting and good-vibe-infectious. But then again, Disney doesn't have to do anything, really. Ok, so lowering admission prices would be nice....:rotfl2:

My dissapointment isn't so much that I am not going to get in free (My birthday falls over spring break and I vowed to never go to Disney during that madness again.) My real dissapointment is that I thought Disney would come up with new and innovative things that you could do to celebrate special occasions. My fiancee and I are going for our Honeymoon in September and I was looking forward to seeing new celebration packages or other intereresting things to do. It seems to me that this promotion was kind of done as an after thought simply to promote things that Disney already does rather than coming up with anything innovative. I am not upset that I don't get anything free, I don't expect that, but I am bothered by the lack of imagination. This promotion could have had so much more potential. I guess I have come to expext more from Disney.

so if my birthday just happened to be on the week we were there I could buy a 6 day pass with everyone else paying 7 days and save about 5 dollars!!

If you have a ticket they'll give you a gift card for the amount of a one day pass.

The only thing I dislike about this is how my dd5 reacted to the commercials. Its hard enough getting her to understand we can't go on her birthday and we only went for her brother's birthday because it just worked out that way.

I wish that it was a more interesting promotion, but Disney sure doesn't need my approval :goodvibes . YOAMD was fun and very exciting every day I walked in a park. I did have to adjust my attitude and tell my sons that we had already won a dream just by being there! But still, it was about possibilities and the excitement was always there. I just can't get excited about this one, though they may surprise me. I think if they can combine the birthday idea with lots of details that generate a feeling of celebration for everyone, then maybe it will be cool. I have to admit, my kids love the commercials!

aurora23 said:
My dissapointment isn't so much that I am not going to get in free (My birthday falls over spring break and I vowed to never go to Disney during that madness again.) My real dissapointment is that I thought Disney would come up with new and innovative things that you could do to celebrate special occasions. My fiancee and I are going for our Honeymoon in September and I was looking forward to seeing new celebration packages or other intereresting things to do.
So you consider all these "afterthoughts"? What would you conider new, interesting, or innovative - keeping in mind that MANY Guests aren't even aware of these options:

Guests visiting in 2009 can add-on:

. . . The Disney Florist will offer celebratory in-room decorations and products.

. . . Custom Bakery Cakes and Signature Desserts: A new line of celebration desserts and decorated cakes can be ordered. The "My Mini Cake Surprise" is a themed, personal size cake with a special surprise included.

. . . Sweetheart Dinner for Two: Prix Fixe dinner featuring souvenir “Celebrate Today!” champagne flutes.

. . . Family Portraits: Portrait sessions with a Walt Disney World photographer.Capture the memory with a portrait session with Walt Disney World photographers.

. . . Personalized Souvenirs: Personalized Mouse ears, character T-shirts, pins and more

. . . Decorate Your Disney Guest Room: Have your Disney resort room decorated with banners, confetti and special surprises to celebrate a Birthday, Congratulations, or a Disney Welcome. (407) W-DISNEY

. . . Magical Pop Up Party Pack: Goodie Bag with activities and surprise pop-up centerpiece.

. . . Stay Inside a Dream Theme: Book a themed guest room featuring Pirate Themed rooms at Walt Disney World and Princess or Mickey themed rooms in Disneyland.

. . . Set Sail: Book a private cruise on a yacht or join in a shared magical fireworks cruise - 2009 will feature a new night time Wishes excursion.

. . . Go Inside the Magic: Behind-the-scenes tours

. . . Disney Story Book Experiences: Choose from pirate adventures, tea parties, princess makeovers, etc.

eta: above information, and much more, at http://www.wdwinfo.com/Disney2009Celebration.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter