"DisneyWar" on the horizon

crusader

calls the faithful to their knees
Let the succession games begin..............

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney7feb07,0,1010620.story?coll=la-home-business _________________________________________________________

Book Paints Unflattering Portrait of Disney's Iger

By Claudia Eller, Richard Verrier and James Bates, Times Staff Writers

ABC entertainment Chairman Lloyd Braun walked into Vincenti restaurant in Brentwood and extended a hand to his boss, Disney President Robert Iger, who did not reciprocate.

Instead, Iger warned his lieutenant on that night in November 2003, "I'm going to let you have it."

But it was Braun who let fly, according to a passage from a draft of James B. Stewart's upcoming book "DisneyWar." Braun accused Iger of "lack of character; incompetence; taking credit for things you had nothing to do with; and running away from decisions you made."

When Braun alleged that his boss hadn't had a hand in one of ABC's few successes at the time, the "reality" show "The Bachelor," Iger was irate. He jumped out of his chair, jostling a waiter who spilled coffee down Iger's shirt front, ruining his tie.

The portrait of Iger that emerges in the 804-page draft of Stewart's book — a copy of which was obtained by The Times — is one of an embattled and sometimes insecure man who hungers for respect and recognition, especially from his boss, Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Michael Eisner.

The book, which won't hit stores until later this month but already is the talk of Hollywood, couldn't come at a worse moment for Iger. He is widely seen as the front-runner to become Disney's next CEO, a candidacy now backed by Eisner.

"The timing isn't good at all," said New York media analyst and longtime Disney watcher Harold Vogel.

Disney board members are scheduled to meet Thursday, on the eve of the company's annual shareholder meeting in Minneapolis, to discuss their search for Eisner's replacement, who is expected to be named by June. The Disney directors already have been fully briefed on the book's contents, a person familiar with the matter said.

At a minimum, "DisneyWar" could complicate what increasingly appeared to be shaping up as a smooth ascension for Iger, the lone internal candidate to succeed Eisner. Once dismissed by Wall Street as being too close to Eisner and not a strong leader in his own right, Iger has overcome many reservations in the investment community as Disney has turned around its financial performance over the last year.

Disney cooperated extensively with Stewart while he researched his book. But in recent weeks, the Burbank entertainment giant has been battling behind the scenes with the author and his publisher, Viacom Inc.-owned Simon & Schuster, over unflattering passages about Iger and Eisner that Disney executives have insisted are slanted or erroneous. Some of those complaints, according to a source familiar with Disney's communications, have been addressed in footnotes, parenthetical sentences or rewording in the book's final version.

Representatives for Disney, which also obtained a draft of "DisneyWar," have suggested that legal action could be brought against Simon & Schuster if the book were found to contain inaccuracies, according to two sources. For its part, Simon & Schuster sternly warned Disney in a letter not to disseminate copies of the draft, which was obtained without the publisher's permission.

Asked by The Times to comment on the draft of Stewart's book, a Disney spokesman would say only: "This flagrantly irresponsible article does not rise to a level that merits the dignity of a response."

Stewart, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who has written a half-dozen other books including the bestselling "Den of Thieves" and "Blood Sport," declined to comment. Simon & Schuster Executive Vice President David Rosenthal said, "We feel the book speaks for itself, and we stand behind it."

The book hasn't yet come off the presses, sources say, but it is in its final form and won't be changed at this point.

Although Stewart's latest undertaking contains no bombshells, "DisneyWar" could well prove troublesome not only for Iger but for Eisner, whose 20-year legacy could be further hurt by Stewart's character analysis and tales of pettiness.

In one passage of the book, Stewart describes a pivotal meeting of the Disney board in September 2002, during which Eisner continued an alleged pattern of expressing reservations and even outright opposition to Iger's promotion to CEO. At the meeting, which Iger attended, Eisner complained about dissident directors Roy E. Disney and Stanley P. Gold, who would later resign from the board and lead a shareholder revolt against him.

"Stanley and Roy are trying to get rid of me. They don't think I can run this company. But who do you think can? Bob?" Eisner asked, turning to Iger and adding dismissively, "Bob can't run this company."

After an awkward silence, Stewart reports, some directors looked shellshocked and the meeting was quickly adjourned. The next day, Iger received a note from Roy Disney, saying: "I've never seen anyone treated so badly."

Sources say Eisner has complained that this is an inaccurate portrayal of what happened at the board meeting. Eisner's memory is that he told the board it was Gold and Roy Disney who thought Iger was unqualified — a version of events that Stewart accounts for in a footnote in the edition of "DisneyWar" that's ready for the presses, according to the source familiar with Disney's complaints.

Throughout the manuscript, Iger is depicted as being wounded by Eisner's slights, including one that came in July at investment banker Herbert Allen Jr.'s annual media conference in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Stewart writes that Eisner promised Iger he would introduce him as his heir apparent at the conference, which attracts the world's most powerful media figures. But during his presentation to a standing-room-only crowd, Eisner never mentioned Iger.

"Iger rose from his seat and stalked out of the room, obviously angry, prompting a buzz of speculation," Stewart writes.

Iger had felt the sting of disrespect before.

In August 1999, while vacationing on Martha's Vineyard, he received a "worried phone call" from Disney board member Thomas Murphy. Murphy was Iger's mentor and had been his boss when they ran Capital Cities/ABC before Disney's acquisition of the company.

Murphy told Iger, who then headed ABC, that he and other board members had recently talked to Eisner about succession. The Disney chief used the opportunity to "launch a long catalog of Iger's weaknesses and faults," Stewart writes. Murphy quoted Eisner as saying that Iger lacked "the stature" to head Disney and could "never succeed me."

"I hate to tell you this," Murphy told Iger, according to the draft, "but you have to leave. Michael doesn't want you at the company."

Iger was clearly "devastated by the advice," Stewart writes.

That fall, when Eisner approached Iger about becoming his No. 2, the executive was skeptical, according to Stewart.

"Are you sure?" Iger asked. "You seem to be hot and cold on me." Appearing "startled," Eisner responded, "What do you mean?" Iger didn't reveal what Murphy had told him, Stewart writes.

Even when Iger was promoted to the Disney presidency in early 2000, he knew he'd have to "overcome Eisner's deep-seated anxiety about being upstaged by a strong number two," Stewart writes.

Just before the promotion became official, Stewart writes, Iger felt compelled to reassure his boss that he was no threat: "I'm not trying to take your job. It's enough to be president of the Walt Disney Co."

Iger's emergence as front-runner to succeed Eisner is based, in part, on the ratings revival of Disney's ABC network, over which Iger has responsibility. The draft of Stewart's book, however, raises questions about how much credit Iger deserves.

Stewart writes that Iger hated the ABC program "Lost" — until it became one of this season's biggest hits. Braun, who championed the show, and ABC Entertainment President Susan Lyne, who shepherded the network's other new ratings giant, "Desperate Housewives," were fired in April after repeated clashes with Iger.

Both Braun and Lyne declined to comment.

Meanwhile, Stewart tells of a show that Iger conceived. Called "Stacey's Mom," it was about a "hot mom" whose house was a favorite of neighborhood boys. The show was never produced.

The subject of ABC's performance also came up during a two-day board retreat in 2003 at Walt Disney World, according to Stewart, and provided Eisner with another opportunity to question Iger's leadership ability and creative skills.

When Iger left after giving a presentation on ABC's ratings woes, the talk turned to succession. "If I had to choose," Eisner said, "it would not be Bob."

Iger was not the only one to suffer Eisner's slights, according to Stewart.

The book recounts Eisner's well-publicized dust-ups with former film chief Jeffrey Katzenberg and former President Michael Ovitz. But it also suggests there were tensions between Eisner and a man he once said had been his "most treasured colleague": the late Disney President Frank Wells, with whom Eisner worked for 10 years.

Shortly before Wells was killed in a 1994 helicopter crash, Stewart writes, he was so frustrated he confided to Disney board member Gold that he dreaded going to work.

"I hate it. I hate Michael Eisner. I can't go in there anymore," Stewart quotes Wells as saying.

Eisner's contempt was directed further down the Disney food chain as well, according to Stewart's manuscript. In one passage, he calls his theme park executives "monkeys." "They don't have any brains; they're not that smart," Eisner is quoted as saying. "It's a simple business."

In his challenge of the manuscript's accuracy, Eisner said he never called theme park executives "monkeys" — a denial noted in the book's final version, said the source familiar with Disney's complaints.

Iger himself also has disputed at least one paragraph in the book, the source said. It states that Iger vented his frustrations to outside executives about his devaluation within the company.

"I just feel every time I pick up a magazine I read there isn't any successor," he is quoted as telling one confidant who is not identified. "I'm invisible. No one takes me seriously. I'm miserable." The final manuscript is said to include a denial by Iger that he was "miserable."

Hmm - a thought.

I wonder who came up with the 'let's torpedo Bob Iger' campaign?

Are Royz Boyz sufficiently evil? They may not have 'lost' after all - just decided to attack in a different direction.

Or is there another 'pretender to the throne' that wants to assasinate their likely competitors for the job?

Thanks crusader. That's the same article I read in the Sentinal.

It's interesting to say the least and as one who has thought Iger should get his shot this makes me a little queasy. But still we must ask how accurate is this information? Is it first hand? Is it third hand?

Next we must ask how much of Iger's behavior was due to necessity. If much of this is to be believed it would seem Eisner wanted very little more than a yes man which would mean Iger is simply a yes man OR he was just biding his time.

I have always supported the theory that he was just biding his time, but with the in-fighting, cattiness and pettiness revealed here maybe not. Maybe he is a wimpy butt kissing weasel who neither cares about or understands Disney.

We may not get any answers from this book. Heck, it may be nothing more than at 'hit' piece directed at Iger and Eisner but then again usually where there is smoke there is fire.

I can say that after this I really am not comfortable with the thought of any of the named possibilities to lead Disney. As Bruce said, where are the 'Wells' when you need them?
pirate:

Excellent questions bruce and great fodder for conspiracy theories.

Hey - I'm not ruling anything out on this.

It's the old adage - timing is everything. Disney/Eisner/Roy/ABC is so salacious in the entertainment arena this was inevitable. This book's release by Viacom is ripe now to maximize the publicity and profitability.

The Boyz certainly have friends in various places, and who really isn't out to get Eisner these days. He's a principal shareholder and CEO who has controlled everybody for 20 years. That's lethal. So now that he's leaving the company is wide open for prospects.

I'm a big conspiracy theorist but I don't see this. Iger woudn't have been their main target and there are lots of people for many reasons who'd like to take shots at Eisner and besides it'd be a silly little victory for Stan and Roy and one that wouldn't earn them anything (money, respect, anything) don't you think? Roy's a rich old man and I can't see this being worth his time.

What bothers me most is the instability this could cause. If Iger is not promoted and any of the three mentioned (or their ilk) replace Eisner, I can see a big for sale sign )if the price is right) hanging over their heads once again. After all the Comcast scare showed us that these folks aren't really disney they're business people. So say all you want about Eisner but one thing that hasn't happened under his watch was loss of independence. pirate:

I didn't mean to imply Roy and Stan were behind this. They're most likely just supporting it and could have engaged a few leads from the inside which would be very easy to do. Who knows?

But the conspirators are certainly abound right now. Viacom would love nothing more than to add fuel to the fire and profit from it.

But to get back to your initial comments. This article either touches the surface on Iger's portrayal in the book or highlights the worst excerpts it can to hit the presses first.

So given the former - using a few examples to portray him as a butt-kissing snivelling yes man - who's surprised? Eisner's the boss. How else did anyone survive in that environment after Wells? We should really look into him prior to the acquisition of ABC and see what kind of leader we're dealing with.

There was an article in today's New York Daily News that says that they're pushing up the release date of the book and it should be out, at least in LA and NY, next week.

Can I waffle back?

One quote near the end says
HTML:
However, Mr. Iger its seems is ready to err on the side of risk.
Seems like he could be Disney material after all.

I say he hasn't morphed into a yes man, has been biding his time kissing Eisner's rear and is ready to reap his just rewards. Based on this article I (once again) think he's ready for that chance.

Matt, you out there? What do you, and others of course, make of this article?
pirate:

I think you're living in a dream world, Pete. I really have a hard time reconciling how you remain optimistic about somebody like Iger REALLY being true DISNEY material, yet at the same time are so pessimistic about any chance of finding somebody better.

Not that I need to reconcile it, mind you. You can certainly pick your spots for optimisim just like anybody else.

So he took a few risks 14 years ago... I haven't really seen that type of risk-taking at the current ABC. In fact, under Iger's leadership they cut budgets and milked the Millionaire cow for all it had.

I just haven't seen any evidence that he has a passion for DISNEY. On top of that, his record at running the network, which is supposed to be his forte, is spotty.

No, I can't throw my support (little as its worth) behind somebody because I hope that he's just been suppressing his inner-Walt for 14 years.

(Hope that didn't come off as confrontational... didn't mean it that way. Just honestly addressing the issues.)

Nah, that's OK Matt...I expected to be left alone again. And to be clear, I'm not really supporting Iger, it was really more hyperbole and conversation points, although I do like what he did during his tenure. He showed leadership, risk taking and foresight...Do you really think that just disappeared in his zeal to please Eisner? And he's still a better choice than Moonves, et al.

As for current ABC, he's made BIG mistakes, but was he doing what he thought was right or trying to pease the big cheese? It's interesting to note that when the money was on the line, his watch has greenlighted Lost and Desperate Housewives in the same season. Perhaps the real Iger still exists? Perhaps ABC got real lucky at a good time for him? Who knows.

Also, Matt, I'm not pessimistic that creative people are out there. I don't even doubt that someone with more imagination than Walt exists. I just don't believe a big public corporation like Disney is interested in giving a guy like that a shot. I agree that it's too bad, but this at least partly explains why I really liked hearing that Iger was (at least at one time) a risk taker...
pirate:

It should be a very interesting book to say the least and one im looking forward to reading.
As for Iger, i have no faith in him at alland believe the company needs to look outside the current leaders of the Co. for a fresh face/new idea's.

Hi BobO. Long time no see.

I would love to know who greenlighted Lost and Desperate Housewives. Those are clearly big gambles that paid off. Someone (Iger?) is taking risks at ABC.

One of the reasons Simon & Schuster is moving up the release is that there are too many drafts already circulating in the media, and they want to strike while the demand is heightened with the pending shareholder's meeting. But I thought the book was due to arrive the last week of this month, anyway.

Actually, Pirate, I don't think you're that alone in your thinking. I happen to agree with your belief that the "yes man" evolved out of necessity and is not who we're actually dealing with in Iger.

If you really take a look at his career history it speaks very favorably of him on several levels: Demonstrative leadership pre-disney; the ability to sustain executive stature and be promoted in a hostile environment while overseeing a failed business segment with ABC post-disney; the ability to survive Eisner during the worst tier of his legacy; the ability to revive ABC (which I'm sure is due to many players but Iger is the second lieutenant to the boss when it comes to greenlighting the project(s)) and the ability to be named and supported on many fronts for the top job at Disney - not just within the organization. He's known. He's proven. He's accepted.

That's a leader. A follower never gets to be President or CEO - they forever stand in the shadow of someone above them. Iger already came from leadership. He's very well groomed in this capacity. Rising to the top is no simple feat.

I say, Walt's gone and never coming back. We need a fortune 500 big wig who can garner deals, delegate effectively, understand the core business, hire the right team, be respected/revered in the industry and demonstrate strength and leadership. I keep hearing we need creativity at the top. I disagree, we don't need the CEO to possess the same attributes as the founder. That person is driven to own their own domain - not be confined within an existing corporation bearing someone else's name. They're not motivated that way. Since Disney no longer has its' founder, the company needs a visionary who can effectively run a creative enterprise in tomorrow's environment. Iger may be that successor.

Nice post crusader.

As for the leadership at the top issue, I agree that component may not be 'necessary' but it would be nice. But I think just am understanding of creativity is enough at this level of this type and size of company. An understanding that Eisner seemed to have once and based on his history and the recent ABC revival that Iger may posses.
pirate:

you're right. There needs to be creative genius within Disney's top levels - I'm just not sold on that credential being essential to the new CEO. "Getting it" in terms of the visual, moving that idea to market, sustaining/growing the corporate empire and keeping the innovative flow pumping through the organization are the CEO's job.

And it is because Disney is at the level it is. Less diverse organizations within a niche market, having a smaller product mix can probably house a one man show at the top today. Disney's matured far beyond that.

You know the thing is - I really want to like Mr Iger, I really do.

I yearn to see evidence of a revitalized sense of wonder in Disney's core businesses. To anticipate the next animated Disney release with the same excitement as I do for a Pixar release, to anticipate my next visit to WDW not with excitement for seeing the attractions I already love but for the new things that people can't believe their eyes over.

BUT

Whenever I hear the name Robert Iger the only thing that comes to mind is:

Richard - For Wales?! It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world...but for Wales?!"

I hope that I am simply being paranoid and he deserves better.

I hope that it is still possible for someone with a true Disney spirit to become the CEO of the Disney company.

I do worry though that Crusader is more right than he knows - it's been my observation that there are very few Fortune 500 Big Wigs who have a clue what 'child-like wonder' means. And that would mean that we are on the wrong side of the slippery slope.

Alright Mr. Stanley I'll bite.

Where's that quote from?

The company teeters on both sides of the slope - has for years - and there's a high probability you're gonna get another suit at the helm. So does that automatically mean the spirit is gone? Perhaps its' just subdued when playing on the street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter