Do I need a refrigerator?

Praise2Him

DIS Veteran
Staying at POP and never paid for a refridgerator before, but, for those who've done the dining plan, do you think I'll need one? It seems like there's so much food that you'd have lots of leftovers.

We are DVC members so we automatically have at least a mini-fridge at any DVC accomodation. However...do you "need" one? It depends on what you intend to bring home. If you will bring a boxed piece of cake, I'd say no. If you plan to bring a part of a steak, it should be refrigerated. However, I'm not sure it is worth the cost to rent the fridge.

Think about sharing meals so as not to have so many leftovers...or just saying that you've had enough and not boxing things that need the fridge.

You get so much food on ddp that we never brought anything back to the room with us. For us, theres no point since you will be getting just as much food the next day. We were always full and completely satisfied without even thinking about left overs or another snack. We did have a fridge at CBR and put applesauce from our sons meals in it for breakfast the next morning but other than that, we never used it.

Unless you're heading back to your room right after your meal, you may want to be careful taking leftovers. In December, which was around 76 for the high during the day while we were there, my MiL decided to keep her leftovers from Norway. We ate there around 2 pm, and didn't arrive back in our rooms until around 10 pm. The next night she ate her leftovers, which were placed in the mini fridge promptly when we returned to the room the night before. Within 2 hours she was camped out in the bathroom :sick: and spent the next day in bed. Now, I'm not saying that she didn't have a stomach virus, it's very possible. :confused3 Just be careful, the last thing anyone wants on vacation is to be sick.

With that being said, we've been debating as well on if we need a mini frige or not. (We're staying at Pop too. :wave2: ) I know last year it was nice to keep bottled water, and some cans of Pepsi in there.

How much is the fridge now? $10.00 per day? And then you'd have no microwave to reheat the leftovers. We brought back cookies, brownies and such; but if we couldn't finish the meal, we just left it. My guess is that you will be plenty full on the plan and won't need your leftovers. And as already pointed out, food does not last in the Florida heat.

We're staying at the POP in Sept. and plan on getting the frig. We've been on the DDP twice now and even though we split/shared alot of meals, we still had leftovers-mostly desserts. We also eat our breakfast in the room most days and keep milk in the frig for cereal. Also great for fruit and soda cans/bottles. If you don't get a frig. you could always use an ice chest but that's assuming you have access to a vehicle. (We do and still get the frig.)

I've read that some people also freeze a few water bottles each day to carry into the parks. Another good idea! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter