Do you ask a company if they offer a Military Discount?

Doodlebug939

DIS Veteran
I was just posting on another thread that Cingular offers a military discount on their plans. And it got me thinking about how I often dont ask for a military discount and I should. What about you? Where have you found deals?

I have found out that Cingular offers a military discount of 10 or 12% each month. Not bad for a simple question. The worst that they could say is No we dont. No harm done! And I save.

USAA is my insurance company and it is designed for military and let me tell you I have always done better with them then anyone else. If you want their number send me a PM. Really their customer service has been great and they are only for military. And currently I live in Lousiana and USAA started a deal that they give ACTIVE duty military stationed here an additional discount of about 12%. It is about $80 dollars or so every six months. So that is $160 in my pocket each year. But what I like is that because USAA started this now all insurances are following suit. But remember it is only for Active Duty stationed in Lousiana.

So come on and lets share some money savers!

Oh and lastly, our Chevy's (mexican resturaunt) gives a 10% discount off of our meals as well.

Many hotels around here offer them. I found out when me and my friend went all over town looking for a place to throw his going away to boot camp party.

My DS found a lot of places in the mall give military discounts if you ask! He was amazed how much he saved buying clothes when he got back!

I thought of another place that gives a military discount. Around here we have outlet malls that include the store Mikasa and I remember that they give a military discount of 10-15%.

The Jockey outlet stores also give a 10% discount with ID. (Don't know if it's only active - I tend to only pay attention to what's offered to active!)

We don't usually ask, though.

katerkat said:
The Jockey outlet stores also give a 10% discount with ID. (Don't know if it's only active - I tend to only pay attention to what's offered to active!)

We don't usually ask, though.

When DS was home he never thought about asking until an employee overheard him talking to friend and told him most stores in the mall offered discounts to military with an ID. He had never asked before, but was really suprised how many places offered one. We aren't in a military area and he was home on leave, so I wonder if its pretty standard?

Regal Cinemas in San Antonio offers one...I don't know if it's national or not...10% or so

Goody's Clothing stores--15%

I don't use many of the discounts offered, but those two I have used often!

Dollywood gives 30 or 40 % off of admission prices for military. My DFi asks everywhere we go. A lot of places we go to eat around here (Cincinnati) either give us our meals free or people from other tables ask to pay for our meal. That happens almost everytime we go out to eat. It's so nice and really makes me emotional how much people appreciate what the military does (whether or not they agree with the war). :wizard:

Another hooray here for USAA. They are the BEST and their customer service reps are always very helpful.

Just found out Verizon offers 23% off!! Have to get it changed to DH's name first as he was in Iraq when I switched from Alltel to Verizon(and of course no one in the store knew of discounts-had to call for that and put if off).

We have had USAA forever. :)

Many hotels have great military rates. Beats AAA if they offer them. Marriott is particularly good about this.

BibbidiBobbidiBOO said:
Just found out Verizon offers 23% off!! Have to get it changed to DH's name first as he was in Iraq when I switched from Alltel to Verizon(and of course no one in the store knew of discounts-had to call for that and put if off).

We have had USAA forever. :)

Many hotels have great military rates. Beats AAA if they offer them. Marriott is particularly good about this.

Wow I thought that I did great with my Cigular Discount. Verizon at 23% that is awesome. :earseek:

I just got my stuff to get my discount from Verizon!!! I love this thread!

Just wanted to share a few discounts I have found:
Visible Changes 10%
New York and Company (Lerner) 15%
Ron Jon Surf Shop 15%

When we returned from our Disney Cruise this summer it was tax free shopping weekend in Fl so we had to make a quick stop at Ron Jon for my son and we found out about the discount when my husband pulled out his military ID card. That was a great way to end our vacation before heading back home to Japan, 15% off and no tax.

Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki said:
Regal Cinemas in San Antonio offers one...I don't know if it's national or not...10% or so

AMC theaters gives a discount. However, they only discount the ticket price of the military member....not the dependents.

Payless Shoes..at least they used to, I haven't been there in awhile.

Verizon - is that for cell service or all services? We have our residential & cell phones with them.

Our vets office offers 20% off. When we found out, we jokingly asked if we could have a refund for the 17 yrs we've been taking our cats there & the thousands we spent on one of them when very sick.

Hmmmm gonna need to go call Verizon & Cingular now.

Wonder if electric co & cable companies do?

I've love one on the gasoline we buy. :goodvibes

Sprint gives a 15% discount for our cell phones. Whenever I'm shopping I usually feel bad asking but if they check ID for a credit card I always show my military ID. Last weekend I found out Yankee candles outlets give 10% off by doing that. Also, we've flown on American airlines twice now because of their significant military discount. You have to call for it but it saved us about $50 per ticket. A lot of stores in our town give military discounts on certain days of the week (KMart - the first Wed of the month or something like that and Rugged Wearhouse - every Tuesday) and several local restaurants give 10% off.

One more thing, we are thrilled with USAA!!! I've been a member since the day I turned 18 (my dad was in the military and wanted me to get in while I was still his dependent - so my DH joined USAA through me before he joined the AF:)

If you join the military.com website for free, you can see a huge list of ongoing discounts for military.

I always ask. The worst that will happen is that they will say no. Around here (military town), a lot of places will throw a 10% discount just because you asked!

My big money saver right now is that the Pre-K/after care program I have DDs (one in pre-K and one in 1st grade) in offers a 10% military discount and a 10% sibling discount. I end up saving about $22 per week thanks to those discounts. It really adds up over time!

And Kate, I cannot believe how big Russ is getting!! What a cutie!

I just wanted to add that
Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker and Kids Foot Locker offer 20% discounts
Franklin Covey offers 15%
Chick Fil A offers 10%
US Airways but you have to call to get the price difference if one is available
Most Car Rental places off some sort of discount
Lowes if you ask

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter