Do you ever think Disney will adjust its thinking on WiFi on board?

I hope not. I love being on cruises and not seeing people heads down trapped in their phones. Its one the reasons we cruise. People are much friendly to each other when they don't have phones keeping them from being in the moment. Princess and DCl both are awesome in regards that most people have no digital devices connected to theirs and heads.

W
The price and slow speed encourage me to put devices away on the cruise and just relax. I'd like to think I would continue to do so if that was free or cheap unlimited Internet...
which in my case I wouldn’t. I am actually happy we had limited data. Sooo nice not having my kids addicted to their phones. At dinner we looked at each other and work never bothered me. Told work I am taking a vacation where I am offline. Deal with it. Was divine. I bought just enough data to whatsapp my DH daily to give a sign of life! I personally would be annoyed having people around me “ working” on their phones while I’m on vacation trying to relax. In cove cafe some guy was working like it was a Starbucks. Wanted to tell him can’t you take it to your room? I don’t need to hear about how “Collette” doesn’t have a clue on some project.

I wish they would offer a length of cruise type wifi package, similar to what RCI has. No one has to buy the package if they aren't interested in it, but it really makes a huge difference for us. DH teaches college classes online during the kids' school breaks so that we can travel then (he teaches regular classes occasionally when the kids are in school). When there is decent internet available it gives him the ability to continue to teach and makes our vacation planning more flexible. As it is it is difficult to plan around his full time job, his part time teaching gig, the kids' school and activity schedules and my own part time job. On our next cruise (on RCI) The kids will be missing 3 days of school in addition to the two classes Dh is teaching. Their ability to log in here or there makes it possible to go. The added benefit is I can check in with the dog sitter and with my family once or twice while we are gone too.

I do like the limited data available for free, mainly for app-based check in for flight the day before end of cruise. If others want to facebook/tweet... not my cup of tea, but have at it. You're paying for it. I can see how it would be good for those who desire it to have an 'unlimited package' that was commensurately priced. I doubt it would be cheap.

I just want them to sell data by time (hours or days), not MB and/or have an option in the app to stop using it. Because when you buy data, every time you use the app for the navigator or sending messages to others on the ship, it uses your data. If you have your phone set to not use the data you purchased, then the app doesn't work. It doesn't have to be this way.

I just want them to sell data by time (hours or days), not MB and/or have an option in the app to stop using it. Because when you buy data, every time you use the app for the navigator or sending messages to others on the ship, it uses your data. If you have your phone set to not use the data you purchased, then the app doesn't work. It doesn't have to be this way.
Not true. You have to sign in to the data to use it and then sign out. The Navigator app does not take your paid data at all.

It does not take your paid data if you don't have any purchased data, but it used up my data pretty much instantly when I had paid data. You have to have your wifi on in order for the dcl app to work. When wifi is on, your phone will use data for any of your other apps that use data.

Last edited:

It does not take your paid data if you don't have any purchased data, but it used up my data pretty much instantly when I had paid data. You have to have your wifi on in order for the dcl app to work. When wifi is on, your phone will use data for any of your other apps that use data.

Correct that your phone will use data for your apps, if...... You are signed into the DCL data page, and if you haven't turned off your automatic updates for apps.

We had this happen on our first cruise. Bought the 1 GB data package, and I checked later that night and had 600 MB gone already. It was because I still had automatic updates turned on within my phone settings. So if you turn off updates, and then sign out of the data page when you're not using it, the DCL app doesn't take any of that data.

Btw, if this happens to you, I've found the DCL "data concierge" or whatever they're called will usually put those MBs back on your account for you. If you tell them what happened with your updates.

I was not aware that signing out of the DCL app would actually turn the data usage off. I thought it would just sign you out of the page and remove your ability to see how much data was being used.

if I set up my iPhone correctly, I can get by with the free 50, so as to do online airline check in and or email my brother or such. yes, wished I had free wifi, just for iPhone to connect with certain people for emergencies.

I like to keep up with the news. I hope that the wifi policy changes next year before my cruise, so I can do so without worrying about the data.....

I also like to have access to instant information - so if I have a question on something I'm learning about in Europe - a quick google search will provide me with that information.

Yesterday at breakfast with friends - I googled for answers three times. So helpful to obtain instant answers & move on to a different topic. :)

I was just on the NCL Bliss to Alaska. I like that their wi-fi packages are offered with minutes, instead of data. I only need to log on periodically, and it was so much easier to see how much time I have left vs data. Forgetting to shut down one app on your phone with DCL, can use a bunch of data. NCL's new app to communicate on with each other on board was $9.95 per device. No thank you! I will just leave a note in the stateroom - I am not paying that much to text or call my husband. I don't care how big the ship is, sending texts to each other on board was not worth $20. That feature is separate from the wi-fi package.

Going on the Magic in a few weeks and I will have to hope I have everything shut off on my phone to not blow through the data.

The internet desk will help you lock your phone down. In addition, go through and do all the manual updates before leaving. And sign out of the wifi login page if you're not actively using it for internet.

Just got off the last cruise - Alaska Sept 3-10 - and spent a small fortune for wifi because I had an on-line class I needed to keep up with (never again signing up for an on-line class with a cruise). Experience (we're CC Gold) taught me to be extremely careful with the mb, turning the phone/laptop on when needed, stopping auto updates, logging off (with conformation screen), everything. Lost over 300 mb , just disappeared from last log on.

I'm hopeful that change is coming. I just yesterday completed a post-cruise survey for DCL that was all about technology use (what kind of tech did we use on the ship, did we purchase a data plan, what apps did we use, etc.). One of the questions was something like "how important to you is having free wifi in places such as hotels and restaurants?" So, it seems like they are at least looking at the issue.

Personally, I'm quite willing to pay a fee for wifi, but the data cap is an issue for me. I purchased the medium-sized plan on our first sea day and somehow managed to use all of my data within a few hours (I'm thinking it was the iPad backing up pictures to iCloud or something, since I definitely turned off automatic updates on my phone). I mostly want to be able to upload my pictures (this will eat data like crazy) and get my daily NYT crossword puzzle download. Also would have been nice to be able to download a new book to read, because the one I had wasn't holding my interest.

I would like better WiFi packages. It's become very difficult for Smartphone users to restrict how their phones use data when connected to WiFi. Numerous stories of connecting to the limited data plan only to use it up in a few minutes as their phone "believes" that WiFi means unlimited broadband and starts syncing everything. Mail, Pictures, Social Media, Music and a whole host of other things you may not have thought of. For those who buy the limited data plan today, it's very difficult to reconfigure your phone to limit use of data and then return it to "normal" when you are back on shore.

I noticed a few mention staying in touch with family. I used to use only airplane mode on my phone when cruising and I recently switched to just turning off data roaming and leaving my phone on. You don't pay anything to your carrier unless you actually get a phone call and answer it, receive a text (only a nickel) or make a call/send a text yourself. Most of this is in your control and you are accessible to family if needed.

I've also noticed that carriers are offering special data roaming packages these days. When you get to port, you will get a free text message from your carrier offering a flat rate for data use for one day, usually about $10. You only see these messages if you take your phone off of airplane mode. You can decide if you want to pay that fee or not. If you leave your data roaming turned off, you won't be paying that fee. If you want to catch up on things, go right ahead.

As was mentioned by a previous poster, DCL will need to upgrade the technology on the ship before it can realistically offer unlimited plans.

For us, the cruise is a time to disconnect. Therefore, the current internet situation does not affect us.

We cruised RCCL this summer and we are platinum on DCL. We LOVED RCCL!
One of the things we liked the best was the Zoom internet. It was fantastic! We had elderly parents at home, my daughter was taking on online class, and my husband owns his own business. We had to have the internet.
I am already dreading what we will pay on next years EBTA cruise for (not so great) internet access.

Well I would current everybody to continue to email Disney customer service and relations and ask

Sometimes change only occurs when the public rises up and request it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter