• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do you feel guilty about taking vacations?

FreeTime

DIS Veteran
I am finding that we are taking more and more vacations each year and I am starting to feel guilty when around others. My sis made a comment about how much of a struggle it is for them to go on 1 vacation a year. I feel guilty when we talk about the DCL/WDW vacation we went on this year, WDW last Dec, Lake Tahoe this summer, and back to WDW this fall. DH and I usually do all of our vacations on a budget, but it seems that we get criticized for going to so many places. Even at work they get on me. From now on I am going to say that "we are just staying home for the week." We are not spending more than we can afford, so why do I feel so guilty? It is the beauty of DVC (and the addiction!)

1) Sometimes I feel guilty about taking vacation time.
2) But, not usually until the fourth week.
3) I earned them and I will take them.

DH has been teasing me about that this week. We went on a DCL cruise in March and will be spending Christmas at BWV. DS and I are also going out to Yellowstone to meet up with my parents this summer. DH said, "You know, most people go on ONE vacation a year and feel pretty pleased." I can't help it. Traveling is what I always said I'd do if I had the means. So....

My problem is we have a 9 year old son who just loves to "share." So EVERYONE knows about everything we do. I can't convince him that we should go on stealth vacations. I just minimize it and say something like, "We've got family down there," when we plan our Disney trips. (My father-in-law used to live a few hours from Disney, and my brother lives in Jacksonville, so technically, I'm being honest.) ;)

Julie

Are you bringing up the topic of your vacations or are others? If you are bringing them up, don't. It probably sounds like you are bragging even if you're not. I am always very careful to not discuss how many times a year we visit WDW because I know others I work with are not as fortunate as we are and I don't want to look like I'm bragging. If others are bringing it up make your response very brief and don't give any details.

I don't feel guilty for our good fortune, DH and I work very very hard. We have chosen to have a small family, modest home, and are able to travel frequently. Others make other choices, having more children, having one parent stay home or working part-time, purchasing very expensive homes, etc. This is the land of opportunity, and each person chooses how they will live. I say enjoy what you are able to do with your life, and if it makes others green with envy, then they should re-evaluate the path their lives are taking.

We get the same thing sometimes from other family members and friends. My FIL actually told my husband that they are older and they should be the ones going on lots of vacations--- and they do. I don't feel guilty but sometimes these people make me think twice before planning another trip--- and then I come to my senses, we like to vacation and that's where we spend our money. Some people don't like to travel or are afraid--- or afraid to have anything come between them and that $$$.

FreeTime,
Nope, I don't feel one bit guilty! That is the beauty of DVC--it is automatically in your budget and you spread your payments for your vacation all year long (ie your annual dues) and it forces you to go on a vacation!
( I guess you could tell the naysayers that you really don't want to go on vacation (again :rotfl: ), but if you didn't go you would be letting all those points go to waste. :teeth: )

-DC :earsboy:

No, we don't feel guilty at all since most of our relatives and friends could go on vacations if they wanted to. They just choose to spend their discretionary income in other ways. We have invited some of them to join us and they have a good time when they go, but we are the only real dedicated "vacation" people we know. ( except for all of our DVC DIS friends, of course! )

NO WAY!!!! Life is to short not to enjoy the things and places that you love.....We earn our vacation time and use up every single minute!!!! BTW I read a recent article that said that US Employees are the most vacation-deprived in the world!!!!! Not sure if I believe that!!!

No, I don't even feel guilty when I take a solo trip to WDW and leave my children home!!!!! I thoroughly enjoy my DVC membership, and it allows me to vacation several times a year. If the children want to go for a week at Christmas or in the summer, that's what I plan. If they have other plans (ie they are traveling with their dad and stepmom, or a school trip takes them both away for several days) then I plan a vacation. (I don't just randomly leave if the girls are in school and it's a time that is part of our normal family time!!)

I do almost always refer to "my timeshare" when I say I'm headed to Orlando for a trip, because people think "free" when they hear "timeshare" and it doesn't sound like I'm bragging. And for the most part, the people I discuss my travel plans with are part of a married couple, so I think they are a little relieved that poor old single me gets to have some fun, too!!!

Do you feel guilty about taking vacations?

Sometimes, but mostly only when I go solo. That and my ederly mother ( born in 1372 ;) ) is of a generation where the concept of fast long distance travel, and taking time to enjoy life just seems alien.

But honestly, those feelings have never stopped me from going, and they generally disappear as soon as I drive by this --

disney_world_entrance_sign.JPG

:teeth:

This year I do, 9 trips.... most as a family, 2 adult girl trips, 1 adult boy trip.... Too many!! Although it has been and will be fun!!

Next year we just have a couple of big trips... FW/BCV for spring break, HHI in the summer, 7 day DCL cruise in August, and a 5 day Carnival cruise in October... and I suppose one mommy recharge trip and one daddy golfing trip gee when you see it in print, I guess that is a lot of trips too.....

We are thankful everyday, that we are able to travel so much.... :flower:

Not so much because of famly or friends - we all make our money spending choices.... my DH and I choose to go into debt to enjoy our kids' youth on vacations! We have a pretty stressful life (We're coming up on move #8 in less than 5 years..... but we're moving to FL!), DH deploys with the USAF, has a somewhat risky job, etc. We really need the time we get away.
However- I have that little voice in my head.... what about all the starving people in (insert name of country here). The kids with cancer, the people with no homes, the struggling masses we could be helping instead of going to Disney...
So yes - I do have guilt things going on. We do a lot of volunteer work with Cub Scouts, the AF, homeschool groups, community stuff, and give to charity.... but still - it's there. At some point I'm going to have to figure out a way to balance it more so my personal Jiminy Cricket will let me vacation in peace!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will try to work on not feeling so guilty. I have been trying to tell my kids that they don't need to share with everyone that we just got back on a cruise, etc. I will just share my trips on these boards instead of with the family and friends from now on. Like many of you said, and we agree, we want and need to spend family time and chose to do so on vacation. We don't usually do much else. Eat in most of the time, rent movies instead of going to the movies, etc.

Thanks for listening and sharing!

Nope....not even a little bit! Everyone makes sacrifices in life, everyone splurges on something in life. some people drive expensive cars, some live in huge houses, some wear expensive clothes. No one should feel ashamed as to how they choose to spend their hard-earned money. We take vacations, day trips, etc, alot and some people make nasty comments about how much we spend on that....to me, I am making lifetime memories for myself and family, and in the end....that is all I care about! No explanantion is needed for anyone else, in my opinion!

Bobbi

:sunny:
It depends on situation. Yes, I do feel guilty in re: to mentioning it in front of my DDad, 78. I want him to go with us desperately but his 4th DW is a big drinker, tells racy stories in front of DN7 & DS16 (beyond racy some just ugly :sad2: ) & she doesn't like--not can't-- to walk. I feel so guilty for not just 'stiff upper lip" re: his wife, but it would totally ruin it for DH!
DH works at least 50 hrs a week as an engineer, has a 15 hr weekly commute & is an active partner in his family's sign business. At one time he was a 3/4 time student (pd his own way), & worked 2 ( 1 part(30 hrs) & 1 full time jobs) for 3 yrs. He does all this plus is re-habbing our 225 yr old house. Still makes time to play catch, & do sports w/ DS16-
We went on 3 'extended' vacations since '86, the rest were Fri/Sat driveable outings & few of those. DH just loves WDW! I consider DVC allowing us a nicer vacation at an affordable, pre-paid price. It will force DH to relax & maybe live longer! :grouphug: I do get the feeling from some quarters that we should be taking more public-service or educational trips, has anyone else gotten this? I do not mention it to others, just say will be going to Fl. Since all of NE goes to FL for the winter no eyebrows raised!
We do know several DVCers & a few who Disney often so is nice to chat w/ them, otherwise mum's the word!
;)

Jean

No need to feel guilty, just don't talk about it to others who might find it objectionable or who can not afford to vacation as often as you can.

NOPE, don't feel guilty at all!! We do share our DVC with our family on some trips too......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter