Do you look younger or older than your age?

I'm 45 and although I don't think I look bad for 45, I still think I look 45.

No one is mistaking me for a 20-something anymore and the only places I get carded are the places that are required to card everyone... I have minimal lines and wrinkles on my face and fairly good skin, but I've also got three teenagers at home, so...it all balances out.:upsidedow

The best way to judge is at something like a high school reunion, where everyone there is within a year of being the same age. Decades after graduating, some did not age drastically while others had aged more than average.

I always just assume I look my age, and those who say I look younger are trying to flatter me, or need to have their vision checked.

I find that most people who think they look younger than their age don’t really and are in denial.
It’s really hard to guess ages after around age 35 I find.
I think that men are really bad at guessing women's age in the 20-50 range, at least in my experience. I have several friends who are 40ish. They are in good shape (good figures) and wear a good amount of make-up, so men guess they are 25 or 30. To me, they look like a good looking 40 year old, they just don't look 25.

ETA: But I can never tell them that because I would look snarky or catty. Really, I would love to look like them, they are beautiful, they just don't look like a 25 year old.

Maybe a little younger, I do have a rounder/fuller face which tends to help. I still get carded fairly regularly, but nobody seems shocked when they see how old I am or anything like that.

I don’t think I look younger, but ppl always think I’m early 30s & I’m 40. I think most ppl who are saying they look younger are basing it on someone else’s assessment for them.
And let’s face it. If someone asks me to guess their age, I’m going to guess in my head, then knock off 5-10 years off my answer so I don’t accidentally offend someone. :rotfl:

And let’s face it. If someone asks me to guess their age, I’m going to guess in my head, then knock off 5-10 years off my answer so I don’t accidentally offend someone. :rotfl:
I don’t ask ppl to guess my age. I wouldn’t expect other ppl do that either. I think it comes up in more natural conversations. For me it’s often related to having another child. Ppl ask me when will I have my next child (which is rude but happens a lot 😔). When I say we aren’t having another mostly b/c of my age, ppl ask & when I tell them they’re surprised & say they thought I was early 30s at the most. It’s happened quite a few times to me. Can’t speak for others, but for me, it’s not denial b/c I really don’t care.

So if you were to have someone guess your age, would they guess younger or older... I am just curious....
Time was people always guessed my age at least 20 years younger than I was. Not so much now that I'm in the "senior" category. But, generally, they still think I'm a little younger than I am.

At lunch yesterday with friends, I was asked what I had done to look so much younger. I had just come back from a cruise where I kept getting told I looked 35, after telling people I had a 35 year old child. I'm in my sixties.
It's genes, nothing I have done!
About 10 years ago, one of my son's classmates, that I did not know, was trying to chat me up in a food court. Son came back to the table and said "Mom, I need more money". The kid looked surprised, asked my son if I was his mom, then politely excused himself. Lol. I never told my son what was happening, he would have been so embarrassed!

I'd say "my age" or maybe a little younger. I had someone think I was in my 20's when I was mid-40's. I honestly think he was full of **** and was just trying to pay me a compliment. There is no way I look like I was 25.

I see some people that I went to school with and think OMG they look so old.

Last edited:

exactly! And if someone says they are turning 40 or 50 I'm going to be polite and say "really! You don't look that old at all! I would have guessed early 30s".
And clerks card people because 1.) they don't want to lose their jobs and 2.) usually they are younger retail workers and anyone over 30 looks old so they card everyone to be safe. That's what I use to do!

I looked younger than my age in my 20s and 30s but not anymore. People have provided photos in these types of threads in the past. I thought 90 percent of them looked their ages.

People tell me I look younger than I am, but who knows they might be lying. I think not smoking, staying out of the sun and maintaining a somewhat constant weight are all factors in looking younger. I also color my hair, because I look terrible with grey hair, not because I want to look young.

I'm 37 and most girls in their 20's tell me "No way, I though you were our age!" when they find out.
I was 28 and got carded to PUMP GAS -- like, someone really came on the PA and told me I had to be a licensed driver to pump gas. I was a mom of 2 by then.
But I have great genes (my granny is in her 80's and passes for 60's) and I stay active, drink water, remove my makeup religiously with cold cream, and can still fit in clothes from the Girls section so I get it
If you were too look closely around my eyes, at some of my grays, and probably the skin on my upper back arms, you could definitely tell I'm in my 30's though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter