Do you really need to request a non-handicapped room?

higleytownheros

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! We had a great trip from May 5th to 11th, staying at the Beach Club Villas. However, we had a little trouble with checking in to our room. We arrived early ... around 11 or 12, and we were given a card with the front desk number to call periodically and see if our room was ready. We did this, and when our room was ready, we went in to see we were given a handicapped room with only a shower. Having a one and three year old, we needed a bathtub. So I immediately called the front desk, explained our problem and was given a manager to speak with. I was informed that if I did not want a handicapped room, that I had to put in a request for that and that she could move us to another room later in the day, but we would have to vacate the handicapped room immediately and in addition pay a $30 room change/cleaning fee. I argued the charge, saying I had no idea I had to make a special request for a bathtub, and the manager eventually waived the fee. So, my question is, has anyone else ever experienced this also? Should I have known to request a non-handicapped room? This was our second DVC stay, and we had no issues staying at Boardwalk last December. In the future, I will of course request a room w/ a tub!

I always request a non-hc room.

the one exception is when I stay in a 1-bedroom or bigger. then you still get a tub - but the shower doesn't have door and most people don't understand that you can't move the showerheads - so water goes all over.

but I can live with that.

Same thing happened to us in March at VWL. B/c of DS, 18 mos, we also requested a change. It was done happily and with no argument. I can't believe they tried to CHARGE you!

Maybe I'll start requesting it too. Weird!!!

Denice T.
Olathe, KS

The only reason I knew that the Villas had handicapped rooms was because of this messageboard. I read about people flooding their bathrooms because the handicapped units have walk-in shower stalls with no divider wall separating the stall from the bathroom floor. I think the handicapped units also have less storage space in the bathroom and kitchenette due to the height-level of the amenities. The studio Villas I believe are the only Villas that are handicapped accessible at the BCV.

I did request a non-handicapped unit when booking. I cannot believe they were going to charge you to switch when you probably hadn’t even un-packed yet. I am glad they were able to grant your request. You definitely need bath tubs with little ones.

Kathy

Hi everyone! We had a great trip from May 5th to 11th, staying at the Beach Club Villas. However, we had a little trouble with checking in to our room. We arrived early ... around 11 or 12, and we were given a card with the front desk number to call periodically and see if our room was ready. We did this, and when our room was ready, we went in to see we were given a handicapped room with only a shower. Having a one and three year old, we needed a bathtub. So I immediately called the front desk, explained our problem and was given a manager to speak with. I was informed that if I did not want a handicapped room, that I had to put in a request for that and that she could move us to another room later in the day, but we would have to vacate the handicapped room immediately and in addition pay a $30 room change/cleaning fee. I argued the charge, saying I had no idea I had to make a special request for a bathtub, and the manager eventually waived the fee. So, my question is, has anyone else ever experienced this also? Should I have known to request a non-handicapped room? This was our second DVC stay, and we had no issues staying at Boardwalk last December. In the future, I will of course request a room w/ a tub!

Oh, yes-the same thing happened to us. And the front desk manager insisted we'd have to pay the change fee, even though we'd only been there long enough to determine that the villa was w/o a bathtub. We decided to figure out which room #s are HA at different resorts so that if we're ever assigned them (and not told as always happens), we can refuse the room before we leave the front desk. Hopefully that will get us out of any room change/cleaning fee.

I have stayed in the handicapped room. I have never managed to flood the bathroom floor (that must take some skill!) The floor slopes towards the drain, I have NO idea how you could flood the bathroom without trying!

I always request "NOT HA" now. Too many times they have tried to put me in a HA room. With 4 of us in a studio, I need a closet! I always ask at check-in too...At BCV the clerk tried to tell me the only difference was "the bath would have a bar in it" but I told him that was NOT the case!

Now that all rooms are smoke-free, "not HA" is the only request I will make.

I always request "NOT HA" now. Too many times they have tried to put me in a HA room. With 4 of us in a studio, I need a closet! I always ask at check-in too...At BCV the clerk tried to tell me the only difference was "the bath would have a bar in it" but I told him that was NOT the case!

Now that all rooms are smoke-free, "not HA" is the only request I will make.
I just decided that will be true for me, too.
*Making note to call on Monday...*

And remmber the key word here is REQUEST. Since this is becoming a popular request it may not be met. (The power of the internet! LOL!)

I did request a non-handicapped unit when booking. I cannot believe they were going to charge you to switch when you probably hadn’t even un-packed yet. I am glad they were able to grant your request. You definitely need bath tubs with little ones.

Kathy

Exactly! We used Magical Express and our luggage wasn't even there yet. We were only in the room for 5 - 10 minutes! At least I know for next time ... and I like the idea of looking up the HC room numbers to have at check in. Where would I find that kind of info?

Exactly! We used Magical Express and our luggage wasn't even there yet. We were only in the room for 5 - 10 minutes! At least I know for next time ... and I like the idea of looking up the HC room numbers to have at check in. Where would I find that kind of info?

You can go here to see the handicapped-accessible studios at the BCV.
http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-bcv/
It looks like there are only fifteen units.

I have stayed in the handicapped room. I have never managed to flood the bathroom floor (that must take some skill!) The floor slopes towards the drain, I have NO idea how you could flood the bathroom without trying!

Flood is an exaggeration. "Get wet" is probably more accurate. And it's easy if one has the showerhead pointed toward the curtain, the curtain open for any reason or one gets reckless with the handheld. I've managed to shoot a spray of water across the bathroom when I dropped the handheld.

Now a flood of standing water is truly a feet and relies on the drain being clogged. Even my 30 minute long hot showers don't manage to get more than the curtain area wet.

The trouble with most HA rooms is they haven't quite figured out how to incorporate a "non-slip" tile floor into the design. General rule is if your dry feet slip, your wet feet will feel like an ice skating rink.

Having said that, I noticed the floors at SSR were a lot less slipery than my rooms at Marriott's Grande Vista.

If they stick me in an HA room the whole darn wing is getting flooded, then they can have their $30. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter