"Dodge Grand Caravan or similar" luggage space

teller80

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here rented a minivan from Enterprise? Their website says it holds 7 passengers & 3 pieces of luggage, but I thought this model had the stow & go feature that could be used when the seats were up? Is the back storage space really small? I'm thinking maybe I should go see one...

How many passengers do you have, and how much luggage? I rented one last summer from Enterprise in SFO.

We've rented Caravans a number of times, although it's been a while since we used Enterprise. Every single time it has been a Grand Caravan. That distinction makes a pretty big difference in storage behind the back seat.

The stow and go does provide for a deep well in back. It's where the seats go when they fold down. There are also wells between the drivers' row and the middle row, but it's not likely large enough for suitcases. Decent for carry-on size stuff though. And a small child in a pinch. OK, kidding on that.

The back seats are also split so you can fold down part for more storage space if you don't have 7 passengers.

We have 7 adults :crazy2:. Not a Disney trip - flying into Vegas, going to Zion (3 hours), Bryce (2 hours), Grand Canyon (5 hours (even more :crazy2:) and flying out of Phoenix. One suitcase each. I'm hoping to all fit in one vehicle, not for cost but because we have a good time together and I thought the road trip would be fun.

We have 7 adults :crazy2:. Not a Disney trip - flying into Vegas, going to Zion (3 hours), Bryce (2 hours), Grand Canyon (5 hours (even more :crazy2:) and flying out of Phoenix. One suitcase each. I'm hoping to all fit in one vehicle, not for cost but because we have a good time together and I thought the road trip would be fun.
I have no doubt it will be a great trip. The destinations are worth the effort.

I would just highly encourage everyone to pack light and use soft sided bags, maybe duffle bags? Then you could get some into the middle row stow and go and the rest in back. It can be done, but not if everyone brings a large hard sided suitcase.

I have no doubt it will be a great trip. The destinations are worth the effort.

I would just highly encourage everyone to pack light and use soft sided bags, maybe duffle bags? Then you could get some into the middle row stow and go and the rest in back. It can be done, but not if everyone brings a large hard sided suitcase.

You're right on the duffle bags, they'll be easier to maneuver into spaces. Thanks!

You're right on the duffle bags, they'll be easier to maneuver into spaces. Thanks!
daughter has a caravan and when we all travel together we end up with some of their stuff in out pickup truck. they travel with 2 adults, a teen, a preteen, a 7/8 year old and a toddler. they can up small thing in the stow & go but no suitcases even carryon size. think I read where you have seven adults not sure how you will fit 7 cases plus anything extra plus back seat will be crowded with 3 adults

daughter has a caravan and when we all travel together we end up with some of their stuff in out pickup truck. they travel with 2 adults, a teen, a preteen, a 7/8 year old and a toddler. they can up small thing in the stow & go but no suitcases even carryon size. think I read where you have seven adults not sure how you will fit 7 cases plus anything extra plus back seat will be crowded with 3 adults
Just to confirm, does your daughter have a Caravan or a Grand Caravan (which has a longer wheel base so more room)?

Regardless, still can't fit 7 full size suitcases. But I don't think 7 duffle bags would be a problem. We routinely put 2 or 3 trash bags full of dirty clothes into our middle stow and go on long trips. Definitely need to be soft though so it can conform to the space. The big downside of that middle stow and go is that it's a pain to get in and out of. But if you need the space, it's nice to have.

I've actually done exactly that trip. One of the highlights of that trip will be the drive from Vegas over to Zion; it's an unexpectedly pretty drive.

As others have said, the minivan will handle 7 people fine. The difficulty will be luggage, but if everyone packs light, you can do it. You will be using all of the seats, so luggage space will be pretty limited behind the third row.

If it just won't work, you just rent an additional car. You'll have a great trip either way.

Just to confirm, does your daughter have a Caravan or a Grand Caravan (which has a longer wheel base so more room)?

Regardless, still can't fit 7 full size suitcases. But I don't think 7 duffle bags would be a problem. We routinely put 2 or 3 trash bags full of dirty clothes into our middle stow and go on long trips. Definitely need to be soft though so it can conform to the space. The big downside of that middle stow and go is that it's a pain to get in and out of. But if you need the space, it's nice to have.
I think it is a grand but do not know for sure. not sure how much you can place in that area with 7 adults and as I said not sure how comfortable 3 adults in back seat would be

I have a grand caravan and it easily fits 6 suitcases-overhead/carry on sizes and a few back packs in the back.

The stow and go under the seat like others have said only fit small things and there is a bar in the middle...let me know if you want pictures...just ignore the dirt, it’s winter and I won’t vacuum it yet!

That being said, we have rented one as well and squeezed 7 of us in it. It was DH driving, myself either in the back row with 2 of my kids (under 14 at the time), my sister, mother and my other kid. We would just take it to the beach and it fit all 7 beach chairs, a cooler, a few beach bags, boogie boards, fishing poles...but to drive any length of time in it, I would not. So the few times I got stuck in the back row with my kids it was not comfortable. I felt a little cramped so if there were 3 adults in the back, no one should be over 130 lbs, IMO. Seriously in the back row, my oldest was probably 120 lbs, my son was probably about the same and me who wishes I was that size, but even if I was it was too cozy for my liking and they are my kids, lol!

Last year we were fortunate to get upgraded to a full size GMC Yukon XL that seats 8. I sat in the back for a few rides when we had my BIL with us and it had more room then the van. It was more comfortable too and made our drive to the Keys oh so enjoyable! So much in fact I told my DH we were renting one again this year and he said no because he figured a few thousand but shockingly it is *only* $950 for 10 days. Oh and the space in the back, we didn’t have to play some sort of game trying to squeeze all our beach crap in there.

I've actually done exactly that trip. One of the highlights of that trip will be the drive from Vegas over to Zion; it's an unexpectedly pretty drive.

As others have said, the minivan will handle 7 people fine. The difficulty will be luggage, but if everyone packs light, you can do it. You will be using all of the seats, so luggage space will be pretty limited behind the third row.

If it just won't work, you just rent an additional car. You'll have a great trip either way.

I am so excited for this trip, it looks amazing! Did you do The Narrows in Zion?

I was wondering about a second car - if I get to the rental car place and find we won't fit, can I easily change my reservation to 2 cars? Or would I lose the discounted rate I had?

I have a grand caravan and it easily fits 6 suitcases-overhead/carry on sizes and a few back packs in the back.

The stow and go under the seat like others have said only fit small things and there is a bar in the middle...let me know if you want pictures...just ignore the dirt, it’s winter and I won’t vacuum it yet!

That being said, we have rented one as well and squeezed 7 of us in it. It was DH driving, myself either in the back row with 2 of my kids (under 14 at the time), my sister, mother and my other kid. We would just take it to the beach and it fit all 7 beach chairs, a cooler, a few beach bags, boogie boards, fishing poles...but to drive any length of time in it, I would not. So the few times I got stuck in the back row with my kids it was not comfortable. I felt a little cramped so if there were 3 adults in the back, no one should be over 130 lbs, IMO. Seriously in the back row, my oldest was probably 120 lbs, my son was probably about the same and me who wishes I was that size, but even if I was it was too cozy for my liking and they are my kids, lol!

Last year we were fortunate to get upgraded to a full size GMC Yukon XL that seats 8. I sat in the back for a few rides when we had my BIL with us and it had more room then the van. It was more comfortable too and made our drive to the Keys oh so enjoyable! So much in fact I told my DH we were renting one again this year and he said no because he figured a few thousand but shockingly it is *only* $950 for 10 days. Oh and the space in the back, we didn’t have to play some sort of game trying to squeeze all our beach crap in there.

I didn't know the Yukon seats 8, I'll have to look into that, thank you.

And pictures would be great, I promise to ignore the dirt. I don't even remember the last time I vacuumed my car lol

While it might not be as easy for people to get in and out of, if you are set on one car you need a Suburban or a Escalade XL. One of the SUVs that not only seats 7 but has the larger space behind the back seat. There is also the 12 passenger van option.

I am so excited for this trip, it looks amazing! Did you do The Narrows in Zion?
Yes, but it depends on river conditions whether they will let you. It was awesome, but would be very dangerous if water levels were high.

I was wondering about a second car - if I get to the rental car place and find we won't fit, can I easily change my reservation to 2 cars? Or would I lose the discounted rate I had?
Don't know. You'd have to check with them.

We have a Chrysler Town and country (same body style, same stow and go, not 100% sure on wheel base.

We can comfortably fit the luggage we need for our family of 7 along with our double stroller, snack bags, activities for the kids, diaper bags and weekend bags (for when we do two hotels). But some things are at the kids' feet, adults probably wouldn't be cool with that since their feet, presumably, touch the ground.

Yes, but it depends on river conditions whether they will let you. It was awesome, but would be very dangerous if water levels were high.

Don't know. You'd have to check with them.

Just curious - is your avatar Antelope Slot Canyon? Did you take that picture?

Just curious - is your avatar Antelope Slot Canyon? Did you take that picture?
Yes, and yes. LOWER Antelope Canyon.

And ready for this? It's a cellphone picture. I'm not a photographer, but I took almost 100 pix in a little over an hour. Every slight turn you make yields pix like that. AMAZING place.

We used Ken's Tours and highly recommend them.

Upper Antelope Canyon is a boat tour that was...meh.

I didn't know the Yukon seats 8, I'll have to look into that, thank you.

And pictures would be great, I promise to ignore the dirt. I don't even remember the last time I vacuumed my car lol

Well I forgot to take pictures yesterday and I just was leaving the grocery store and said I should take pictures but I thought someone might think I was crazy with the wind/rain (I live on south east CT) so I said I’d do it when I got home. Well my car is at the dealer now since it was sputtering while idling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter