Does a late Easter impact spring break season crowds at all?

MaC410

DIS Veteran
Easter in 2019 is pretty late being on April 21st. Does a late Easter stretch out spring break season crowds at all? Would be nice if a longer spring break season would stretch out when spring breakers visit so crowds aren't as bad.

I'm hoping so. My kids have spring break the first week in April, so not over Easter next year. I'm hoping that equates to lower crowds.

I think it helps the non-Easter spring break families, but doubt it helps the Easter spring break families much.

Out of curiosity, are most of your spring breaks the week after Easter or different times? Ours is always the week after Easter (Philly/NJ area)

Here in the DFW area, spring breaks for public schools are generally around the second week of March. My birthday is March 12th and it is always during Spring Break...last year it was the Sunday at the end of our Spring Break and this year it is the Monday at the beginning of our Spring Break.

Out of curiosity, are most of your spring breaks the week after Easter or different times? Ours is always the week after Easter (Philly/NJ area)
Our spring break is hardly ever tied to Easter. We typically have Good Friday off but then have spring break in late March.

I just checked the school calendar for next year- ours is tied around the holiday- April 15-22 off.
I am in NC.

Easter in 2019 is pretty late being on April 21st. Does a late Easter stretch out spring break season crowds at all? Would be nice if a longer spring break season would stretch out when spring breakers visit so crowds aren't as bad.

It was about that late last year, and it did seem to stretch things out a bit. I think you'll find elementary and high schools having spring break all through Mar and April. I think it makes the weeks around Easter less crowded than they normally are, but not sure it translates to much lower crowds through the season. It may be what is normally an 8 week is a 7 week.

We (Pennsylvania) are always early dismissal Wednesday before Easter and back to school Wednesday after Easter. No other spring break. It is also used as make up snow days, so ours this year other than Good Friday is already gone :( No other separate spring break.

Our spring break is either Good Friday before Easter and the week after Easter OR Week before Easter and Monday after Easter.

We were there the 2nd week of April in 2016 and, while the US spring breaks were winding down, we noticed a very large number of visitors from the UK. A lady we spoke with said that there are a lot of schools with breaks over there during that time as well and many families take extended vacations to WDW. So, don't forget to think about the impact of international visitors as well. By the way, even though it was crowded, our experience was still awesome and people were mostly well behaved and cordial.

With Easter being at the beginning of April this year, it seems that at least 80% of school districts have break the week before it this year. It is a nice mixture of breaking up the spring and planning for Easter. A late Easter should greatly change things. Some breaks will be at the end of March, others the beginning of April, and others based around Easter.

Honestly, it was dead last year. We arrived early Saturday and stayed through Tuesday.

Maybe it's because we go every year for Christmas, but the Saturday and Sunday in the parks didn't seem overwhelmingly crowded. Monday wasn't bad and Tuesday was a ghost town. I remember going back to Coronado for dinner before the Magical Express arrived and feeling like I was in a zombie apocalypse. No one was around.

Spring Break is stretched out no matter when Easter falls.
I know of kids in 4 different school systems and they have 4 different weeks off
So I don't think Easter's placement on the calendar changes that any. It's always going to be stretched out and it's why there's not 1 week that is super crowded, like Christmas/New Years.

Our spring break is the 3rd week of March. This will be our first spring break trip.

Good to know these things. Thanks for input from everyone. I was thinking of doing a after-Easter week trip at some point, but always wondered if it was a madhouse with mixed spring breaks. Good tips!

Spring breaks are all over the board, all across the country, starting mainly first week of March and going to mid-April, but potentially later if Easter is later. Some schools (most, in my neck of the woods) have the same week or weeks each year (we are like that, the Thursday and Friday prior to the first full week in April and the first full week in April). But that is just our district, other districts around us are at all different times. Seems that they spread them out to assist with getting flights, etc. Some other districts are always around Easter (either week before, week after or a combo of both).

I hate it when Easter falls during our spring break (as it does this year).

With a later Easter - I do think that it spreads out the crowds some. There aren't a lot of districts in my state that have a stagnant spring break that is mid-April or later (it is finally getting nice around here, no need to travel). So, it is only the floating districts that would have spring break that late. So, instead of having the normal spring breaks for a week PLUS the Easter spring breakers, you would just have the Easter spring breakers. And that would also help the normal spring break earlier weeks to be less crowded.

We are going this year, the week after Easter. We did the first week of April 4 years ago, when it wasn't Easter (Easter was April 20th) and I was amazed at how uncrowded it was, for Spring Break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter