Does anyone forego dining plans to save money?

jamioday001

Mouseketeer
That is our usual plan, to just eat on our own. Wondering if most people do the opposite!

We have a large family, so we do Garden Grocer for room, eat breakfast bar/fruit in room, pack everyone same basic sandwich lunch with fruit.

Then we buy one snack at park in afternoon and eat out for dinner in parks.

We feel like it saves us tons of money. Wondering what your feedback may be. Thanks!

Aulani doesn’t tend to have dining plans - at least not in our 5 visits we have had.

Mods will likely move it.

But to answer your question, the dining plans are not meant to be a cost savings. You'd have to eat in a certain way and order certain things to break even or save money on the plan. If someone in your party would not typically eat two snacks per day, drink a non-alcoholic beverage at each meal, and eat dessert at your table service meal each day, then it is not a cost savings. The dining plan is priced to pay for each of those entitlements, so it only comes out to be a savings if that's the way everyone in the group would eat regardless of being on the plan or not.

That said, many people - myself included - know this and opt to purchase the dining plan anyway. I am ok knowing I am likely paying more for my food, and chalk it up to the cost of convenience. It allows me to pre-budget my food costs and know that its paid for in advance. While there, we have no worries and order what we want. Its not the best approach for people on tight or limited budgets, but works well for a lot of families because of the convenience.

We're a pay-as-you-go family. As nkereina said, it's not really a money saver unless you eat a certain way, and usually choose the most expensive option.

I know some people buy for the peace of mind of knowing they can order whatever they want without thinking about it. I'm the opposite. I would be stressed knowing that I'm paying for something I'm not using, and it would nudge me to order more when I'm not hungry, just to make sure I get "full value." So it's better for both my wallet and my waist to pay as I go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter