Does anyone have a terracotta wine chiller?

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
I just picked one up at a garage sale, and I'm not sure how to use it. Do I soak it in ice water first to make it cold?

Thanks! :)

I just picked one up at a garage sale, and I'm not sure how to use it. Do I soak it in ice water first to make it cold?

Thanks! :)

I've got one and it works by evaporative cooling. You need to have fairly low
humidity and air movement. Theoretically it could pull the temp down to whatever the dew point is. If your going to use Ice water......why not just put
the wine in it:confused3

Right now in Orlando the temp is 83, but the dew point is only 47....so if you kept it in the shade, with
a breeze blowing past it, it would probably drop the temp of the wine to the fifties somwhere.

So, if I put a cold bottle of wine in it, the chiller will chill down to the wine's temp? and not the other way around? I was afraid that a warm chiller would make the wine warm up quicker.

So, if I put a cold bottle of wine in it, the chiller will chill down to the wine's temp? and not the other way around? I was afraid that a warm chiller would make the wine warm up quicker.

If you soak the wine chiller thoroughly with water, regardless of the water temp,
keep it out of the sun and have air movement past it it will eventually reach
whatever the dew point is. If you put a bottle in that's much below 50 deg it'll
just warm up.

Say the temp is 72 deg with the relative humidity of 50 percent...the dew point
would be 36 deg and the outside of the chiller would try to reach this temp.

If however the relative humidity would be 85 percent the dew point would be
61 deg and thats all the cooler the chiller would get.

after a few glasses of wine, you won't care about its temperature. :lmao:

after a few glasses of wine, you won't care about its temperature. :lmao:

:wizard:Ahhh...grasshopper...I am so proud :hug:...you took the words right out of my mouth. :laughing:

Now...just don't ever try to take a glass of wine out of my mouth and we'll get along JUST fine!
:rotfl:

:wizard:Ahhh...grasshopper...I am so proud :hug:...you took the words right out of my mouth. :laughing:

Now...just don't ever try to take a glass of wine out of my mouth and we'll get along JUST fine!
:rotfl:

I don't think to many people will mess with you, if you have a glass of anything in your mouth.:rotfl:

If you soak the wine chiller thoroughly with water, regardless of the water temp,
keep it out of the sun and have air movement past it it will eventually reach
whatever the dew point is. If you put a bottle in that's much below 50 deg it'll
just warm up.

Say the temp is 72 deg with the relative humidity of 50 percent...the dew point
would be 36 deg and the outside of the chiller would try to reach this temp.

If however the relative humidity would be 85 percent the dew point would be
61 deg and thats all the cooler the chiller would get.

This is just too damn scientific!!! I use the fridge to chill mah wine!

Up here we have this thing called a refrigerator. You put the box of wine in it and it stays cold. Its highly techinical so I will spare the details.
The best wine is kept in boxes to keep the light out, plus you dont have to keep screwing the cap back on between pulls.

Up here we have this thing called a refrigerator. You put the box of wine in it and it stays cold. Its highly techinical so I will spare the details.
The best wine is kept in boxes to keep the light out, plus you dont have to keep screwing the cap back on between pulls.

:lmao:

I'm with Scott - box o wine in the fridge. Simple, quick, easy. If it's not cold enough, throw an ice cube in it. When it's empty, toss it and put in another. My prediction - in a couple years, Rhonda's terra cotta wine cooler will be in her garage sale. I believe there was only one ever made, and it has just gone from garage sale to garage sale over the years.

I'm with Scott - box o wine in the fridge. Simple, quick, easy. If it's not cold enough, throw an ice cube in it. When it's empty, toss it and put in another. My prediction - in a couple years, Rhonda's terra cotta wine cooler will be in her garage sale. I believe there was only one ever made, and it has just gone from garage sale to garage sale over the years.

Or it was given as a white elephant gift :confused3

You should have been with me the day I thought I'd take a bottle of red wine from that WS wine shop in France back to my dad who'd stayed behind at the hotel. I asked the guy if he could chill it for me. I'm telling you, he looked at me like I'd just peed on the carpet, then started talking to the other CMs in excited French. I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about.
In the end, they did what I asked but they sure weren't happy about it. It was only when I got to BC, stopped by my parents room to hand over the bottle, and proudly pointed out I'd even taken the time to have it chilled and ready to enjoy that I was told you're not supposed to chill good red wines. :lmao:

ahem... I guess they never bought a bottle of Boones Farm from the refridgerated case when they were younger.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter