• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Doggie Bags?"

leebee

DIS Veteran
What is the "etiquette" for taking leftovers from your Disney restaurant meal? I am not talking AYCE buffets- I mean from actual table service meals. I had bariatric surgery several years ago and never eat a full meal; even an appetizer portion can be too much. I'd like to take leftovers with me, but I don't know if this is frowned upon or not. Will Disney box up leftovers or should I bring my own baggies/containers? I hate to leave leftover protein, especially if it's something I could have for breakfast the next morning!

I think most will - other than the buffets, as you mentioned. Definitely the resort and Disney Springs spots. Not as sure on in-park restaurants. I know I have taken leftovers from Via Napoli. They provided styrofoam containers to box up extra pizza. They’re a bit bulky to carry around (they also gave a big clear plastic bag) so I’d probably only take if heading back to the resort right after.

I always bring ziplocs with me to keep fresh in room for longer.

You can take your leftovers; we don't unless we are going right back to the villa and even then its got to be someone thing we are really going to eat. We typically share to avoid waste/leftovers on vacation. Our friends bring Ziplocs and take everything to go. The baggies work really well for them.

We have had no issue getting them to wrap up our leftovers just like any other restaurant, but we have only ever asked at resort TS restaurants or DS TS/QS restaurants. I have even had desserts wrapped straight from the kitchen at these restaurants, if I wasn't hungry after the meal but wanted dessert for breakfast the next morning.

We have had no issue getting them to wrap up our leftovers just like any other restaurant, but we have only ever asked at resort TS restaurants or DS TS/QS restaurants. I have even had desserts wrapped straight from the kitchen at these restaurants, if I wasn't hungry after the meal but wanted dessert for breakfast the next morning.

This is genius!!

Bring a collapsable bowl with lid. Pop it open and there you go. Or bring gallon freezer bags. We always pack a bunch in case.

TS restaurants where you order from a menu have containers for leftovers. Often they've been cardboard boxes that are not spill proof so we bring ziploc bags with us.

You paid for it so it is yours. I'll warn you though, if you are on the DP there will always be food around the corner and no room for leftovers unless you take them home. We once had chocolate cupcakes for breakfast. :)

Many years ago on the DDP for first time ... I told server we were just too full for our dessert ........ to which she said "you paid for it, pick something that will keep, I'll box it and put in your fridge" ................. DUH! Now I travel with a variety of ziplocs in my bag, you never know.

Last edited:
We usually don't have leftovers at WDW, because we're careful not to have any leftovers...due to park plans after eating. We share entrees or just eat apps most of the time to avoid waste. If we're still a little hungry at the end of a meal, that's what dessert if for! Or, we know we can grab a great snack just around the corner.

However, last August, my kids and I had a late lunch at Sci-Fi and were just too hot to eat much. Our plans were to go back to our room right after, so we got our leftovers boxed to go. That night after swimming, we grabbed a kids meal from the food court to supplement our leftovers and had a great dinner sitting in our room in the a/c :worship: . My son did the same a few days later at BOG lunch (just too hot, lol...we don't usually go in August). We went to our room right after lunch, took a nap, and he finished his meal later after a swim.

So in short, yes you can get doggie bags even from TS restaurants in the parks!

When we were on the dining plan I'd almost always take my dessert to go (I just cannot each that much food in one seating, lol). The restaurant always wrapped it up for me and brought it to the table. Much easier to do at Disney Springs or at a resort rather than a park, but it's never been a problem.

We've done it. We've also ordered dessert to go when on the dining plan and had it back in the room later that night.

I try not to take any hot items back to the room for 2 reasons: Will it keep by the time I get back to the room? And how will I heat it up? The rooms do not have microwaves unless you have a villa. I recently found out that some food courts have microwaves or you can ask for them to heat something up for you so that's a plus.

I totally agree with those saying the DDP is so much food that there's almost always no room for dessert. Those QS lunches with dessert can easily put you in a food coma.

But to answer the OP's question...don't feel weird about asking for a container if you cannot finish your meals. The only issue I see is having to carry it around for the rest of the day if you dine within the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter