Dollar, debit cards & Credit Checks?

Pooh's Pal

Soon to be dancing with My Pal Po
While browsing the Dollar Rental car Web site looking for information on using Debit cards for renting a car and I came across a section in General Policies that states they do a credit check through Equifax(sp) for all that use a debit card? Does anyone know if this is true?
I have a reservation with Dollar in April and I have rec'd a conformation. I have also emailed them directly about using a debit card with them responding saying that they DO accept debit cards, but there would be The rental price plus 15% or $200.00 whichever is greater charged to me on my debit card. I can except this, but a Credit check too!
Not that my credit is that bad now, but it wasn't that great a few years back and some things I think are still on my credit report...I can just imagne getting to MCO and getting refused a rental car!
Anyone ever heard of this happening before?

Originally posted by Pooh's Pal
While browsing the Dollar Rental car Web site looking for information on using Debit cards for renting a car and I came across a section in General Policies that states they do a credit check through Equifax(sp) for all that use a debit card? Does anyone know if this is true?
I have a reservation with Dollar in April and I have rec'd a conformation. I have also emailed them directly about using a debit card with them responding saying that they DO accept debit cards, but there would be The rental price plus 15% or $200.00 whichever is greater charged to me on my debit card. I can except this, but a Credit check too!
Not that my credit is that bad now, but it wasn't that great a few years back and some things I think are still on my credit report...I can just imagne getting to MCO and getting refused a rental car!
Anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I have a friend who had a repo on her credit. She was not able to rent a car, and was denied at the counter. You might want to ask Dollar to run your credit now so you can make alternate arrangements if you aren't going to be allowed to rent. Personally, without a credit card, I think the rental places are very wise to run a credit check. They are handing you a car worth $20k or more, and when you don't have a credit card, it's basically on your word.

Anne

Do they say they do do it or they could do it?
opps, never mind, I went to the source. They seem to do it.

I emailed Dollar about if this was true and rec'd an email this morning stating:

"Yes, the card goes through Equifax, which is a credit reporting company."

That's all they wrote...How is your debit card tied into a credit reporting company?

Debit cards have your checking account tied to them. But, all they need is your name and address to run a check. From what I scanned/read, it is not a typical report, it is more along the lines of a auto credit check, whereby they score it to see if they would sell/rent/or long term lease a car to you.
If you are worried about this at all, I would suggest you try Alamo, no extra deposit and they accept debit cards with the MC or Visa logo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter