Don't bring ammunition to Turks & Caicos

I think that it may be time to recognize that being a US citizen does not absolve any one of us if we break the law in another country. It does not matter what our opinion is of any given law.

Definitely! I saw on their gofundme that they list all being held and use the phrase "has been unjustly detained for xxx days." I don't see how they can think they are detained unjustly when he admitted bringing the ammunition - thereby breaking the law. It would only be unjust if he were held with no reason, with no law having been broken. Just because they don't like the law doesn't make it "unjust" for the country to enforce it's laws and proceed with legal action.

Definitely! I saw on their gofundme that they list all being held and use the phrase "has been unjustly detained for xxx days." I don't see how they can think they are detained unjustly when he admitted bringing the ammunition - thereby breaking the law. It would only be unjust if he were held with no reason, with no law having been broken. Just because they don't like the law doesn't make it "unjust" for the country to enforce it's laws and proceed with legal action.
I don't travel much, but that does not mean that I would not like to travel further afield at some point. One of the thing that I look at when I think about a wish list is who would I feel comfortable traveling with, and how would the laws of any country affect me or people traveling with me. I am not a rule breaker by nature, so bringing contraband into a foreign country would not be something I would do. I would not travel with fruit, plants or vegetables into states that have restrictions, so I look at the rules before I go. The same holds true for a foreign country. I check the rules for entry and departure, and then I do my due diligence to comply. If for some reason I was lax and somehow brought ammunition in my travel bag, I would expect that I would have to comply with the law and the punishment in that country.

Frankly, I think that some of us have decided that the rules do not apply to us. The people left behind on that Norwegian cruise ship are a prime example of American entitlement. They knew the rules. They made choices that put them at risk of violating the rules. They managed to be late, and then complained that the ship did exactly what they had been warned would happen. I have never been on a cruise, but even I know the cruise ship protocol. I cannot say that I am shocked that some people are whining, but I do feel befuddled at times

We have been to beaches, Turks and Caicos twice. Dropped a ton of money to visit there. Beautiful island. Best all inclusive resort we have ever been to. Would never travel there again. Can’t take the risk. I am sure there are others who feel the same way that have the means to travel to their island. Hope this new rule doesn’t bite them where it hurts - tourist money. Lots of other beautiful Caribbean islands out there without the long prison sentences.

We have been to beaches, Turks and Caicos twice. Dropped a ton of money to visit there. Beautiful island. Best all inclusive resort we have ever been to. Would never travel there again. Can’t take the risk. I am sure there are others who feel the same way that have the means to travel to their island. Hope this new rule doesn’t bite them where it hurts - tourist money. Lots of other beautiful Caribbean islands out there without the long prison sentences.
Can't take the risk of what? Possibly having ammunition in one of your bags?

Umm, not bringing ammo seems like a pretty easy and simple solution to avoid any risk

Yeah, I agree. I stay away from places with crazy laws. There is no reasonable explanation for a minimum 12 year sentence for just carrying a single bullet. Ridiculous.

Zero tolerance policies are rarely reasonable, let alone very reasonable. You don't severely punish people for an honest mistake that literally could have no negative consequences on anybody. Sounds like an island run by idiots.
Sounds like vacations taken by idiots. I agree 12 years is harsh, but how hard is it to NOT bring ammunition, ESPECIALLY after all of the media attention?

Sounds like vacations taken by idiots. I agree 12 years is harsh, but how hard is it to NOT bring ammunition, ESPECIALLY after all of the media attention?

Accidents happen. Some people hunt. I could easily see a stray bullet ending up in a pocket of some piece of clothing. I mean, how hard is it not to leave a pen in some article of clothing and how often does it end up in a washing machine. Different people have different lifestyles that could open themselves up to different risks. Doesn't make them an idiot.

Accidents happen. Some people hunt. I could easily see a stray bullet ending up in a pocket of some piece of clothing. I mean, how hard is it not to leave a pen in some article of clothing and how often does it end up in a washing machine. Different people have different lifestyles that could open themselves up to different risks.
Have a separate, dedicated bag for range items. Don't use it for travel. I've never had a pen end up in the laundry, ever. But I take a second and always check pockets.
It's really not that hard to eliminate risk.

Accidents happen. Some people hunt. I could easily see a stray bullet ending up in a pocket of some piece of clothing. I mean, how hard is it not to leave a pen in some article of clothing and how often does it end up in a washing machine. Different people have different lifestyles that could open themselves up to different risks. Doesn't make them an idiot.
The T&C government doesn't want ammunition brought to their island. The old punishment wasn't doing enough to prevent it. So they made a new one. Doesn't make them an idiot.

I'm sorry, while I felt bad for the first couple of people to get snagged by this, it's been all over the news for a month. And people STILL are making mistakes? That's on them.

Have a separate, dedicated bag for range items. Don't use it for travel. I've never had a pen end up in the laundry, ever. But I take a second and always check pockets.
It's really not that hard to eliminate risk.

Yes, it is. They why there is an entire industry to built around finding and mitigating it.

And maybe you are perfect and nothing unexpected has ever ended up going thru your laundry, but obviously you are the exception because there are a lot of products on the market to fix it.

The T&C government doesn't want ammunition brought to their island. The old punishment wasn't doing enough to prevent it. So they made a new one. Doesn't make them an idiot.

I'm sorry, while I felt bad for the first couple of people to get snagged by this, it's been all over the news for a month. And people STILL are making mistakes? That's on them.

It's on them for going somewhere with idiotic rules. I don't care what anybody says, there is no justification to put someone in jail for 12 years minimum for a loose bullet. Not a weapon. No intent to smuggle ammo. Just an honest mistake. Ridiculous to even suggest that. If they aren't idiots, they should be able to easily determine intent and issue a reasonable punishment.

It's on them for going somewhere with idiotic rules. I don't care what anybody says, there is no justification to put someone in jail for 12 years minimum for a loose bullet. Not a weapon. No intent to smuggle ammo. Just an honest mistake. Ridiculous to even suggest that. If they aren't idiots, they should be able to easily determine intent and issue a reasonable punishment.
I've said since the start of the thread that I also think 12 years is excessive. I've also suggested options that should get the point across. What are yours? What's "reasonable", but harsh enough that folks will be extra careful?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter