Don't laugh at me, but how do you say Pommes Frites?

It's actually almost a mixture of the two of these, but closer to 707MickeyGirl. (lived in Quebec for 9 years, took French in school from Junior K to Grade 12) The closest I can come to explaining it is "pawm" or "pohm".

I now live in BC and I love hearing people try and pronounce some of the street names around here. My favourites are Quesnel and Esquimalt! My GPS has a field day with that last one.

Ok, we can agree on "pohm" (with a lengthening of the "mmm" sound at the end. I took French from 7th grade all the way through college. There will always be slight pronunciation variances on words depending on what kind of "French" person taught you and the regional accent they might have. I had teachers from Quebec, Morocco, Paris, Alsace, Martinique, and Algeria. They all spoke differently.

707 MickeyGirl is correct. The "es" is silent on frites. Thank you grade 6 french lol

The "es" does change the pronunciation though. The word frit is pronounced more or less like "free". With frites you need to actually pronounce the t.

It's been a while though since I had to worry about this stuff. And all of these detailed rules on pronunciation.

:)

Ben- yays
I ordered Ben-yays on my last trip to Disney and I was corrected and informed that they are Ben-yets!! I still have no idea which is correct though! Either way, they're delicious!

Forgot to add that I pronounce pomme frites 'Pom freet' and no one corrected me on that one. Lol!

My MOM grew up in Rochester NY. They have a street there Chili. It is pronounce as Chy Lie. The cousins all laughed when I called it chili.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter