Dopey 2015 Official Thread

The pace clock starts when the last runner from the last corral crosses the start line.
Not for Dopey. Disney has been pretty clear this year that Dopey runners have to finish each race within the pace requirements, i.e. 16 min/mile or faster. From their email: "Dopey Challenge participants must complete, within the pacing requirements, the 5K on Thursday, 10K on Friday, Half Marathon on Saturday, and Full Marathon on Sunday while wearing the correct Dopey Challenge Bib and check in at the Dopey Challenge tent after each race"

Whether they really will hold people to that is unknown, but I wouldn't want to chance it. I'd plan on making sure you run 16 min/mile or faster once you cross the start line.

Exactly,if your concern is not getting swept then that 16mpm requirement starts when the last runner crosses the starting line.But if doing the Goofy or Dopey challenge from all that I've heard you need to finish your races under 16mpm based on your chip time to receive the challenge medals.

Exactly,if your concern is not getting swept then that 16mpm requirement starts when the last runner crosses the starting line.But if doing the Goofy or Dopey challenge from all that I've heard you need to finish your races under 16mpm based on your chip time to receive the challenge medals.

I guess that's part of where the confusion is coming from.
Shouldn't be an issue with start time requirement, just glad it's not race start (gun time) requirement.

It should be a blast.

For previous Dopey and Goofy runners, is it true that the first 8 miles or so of the marathon course are identical to the half course run the day before?

Any distractions or diversions to help pass the time? I've heard that Disney will play music at certain spots but might bring my headphones too......

do they change characters or outfits each day?

(I guess today was my day to ask all the questions!)

For previous Dopey and Goofy runners, is it true that the first 8 miles or so of the marathon course are identical to the half course run the day before? Any distractions or diversions to help pass the time? I've heard that Disney will play music at certain spots but might bring my headphones to. do they change characters or outfits each day? (I guess today was my day to ask all the questions!)
When I ran Goofy in 2013 the first 8 miles or so were very similar. Most of the characters were the same for me. The course itself is exactly the same up to about that point.

There's lots of entertainment - characters, marching bands, a drumming group (there was in 2012/2013 at least)...I'm leaving the headphones in the room. :)

Wishing everyone the best of luck this weekend. My wife just gave birth to twins, so we will miss our winter trip to WDW for the first time since 2006. Also, I will lose my Perfectly Dopey status ; )

Good luck to all and enjoy every mile!

I guess that's part of where the confusion is coming from. Shouldn't be an issue with start time requirement, just glad it's not race start (gun time) requirement. It should be a blast.

No, most races in the US are done with chip time requirements. It's in Europe and Africa where you most commonly see gun time restrictions.

For previous Dopey and Goofy runners, is it true that the first 8 miles or so of the marathon course are identical to the half course run the day before? Any distractions or diversions to help pass the time? I've heard that Disney will play music at certain spots but might bring my headphones too...... do they change characters or outfits each day? (I guess today was my day to ask all the questions!)

The course are about the same until you head to the race track. The characters are usually the same too, but not always. I find it helpful to scout out characters during the half that you will take pictures with the next day during the full. Lines during the half are usually longer because the course is more crowded since the runners are more bunched up.

The email didn't mention Goofy, only Dopey. I would assume that if they're giving wristbands for one, they'd do so for both, but that's just a guess. I'm just happy I can skip the picture taking.

Found out from a volunteer that they will be taking pictures for Dopey and Goofy.

Found out from a volunteer that they will be taking pictures for Dopey and Goofy.

So how exactly will that work. If running Goofy, will they take your picture after completing the half and do some comparison after completing the full?

They will take photos at the expo and compare them after the finish of each race to verify you completed the race. Doesn't look like the photos are mandatory. It will be interesting to see how the process works.

I thought the wristbands worked decently last year, not sure about the point of the picture taking.

I guess I am in the group that wonders who, and to what end, would be attempting to gain medals that they haven't really earned. I guess it must happen, but it seems that if someone goes through the trouble of getting a bib, wristbands, etc. that one more added security measure isn't really going to stop them.

I thought the wristbands worked decently last year, not sure about the point of the picture taking.

I guess I am in the group that wonders who, and to what end, would be attempting to gain medals that they haven't really earned. I guess it must happen, but it seems that if someone goes through the trouble of getting a bib, wristbands, etc. that one more added security measure isn't really going to stop them.

I believe what he was told was that one person would run one race and another person would run another race to get the challenge medal.

It's pretty pathetic but that is the type of people we have in the world today.

I will be glad to sell them a medal if they want one that bad.

In addition to what CaptHomer said, I've also seen results where people will, for example, have a 5K split, but no 10K or 15K split during the half marathon...but then they have a finish time. I guess it's possible they missed the timing mats, but it makes you wonder...

I wonder how much time this will add to our post race schedules. Checking in to the tents, wristbands, pictures, etc.

I'm sure I will be hot and tired after the marathon on Sunday, maybe the Dopey tent is next to the massage tent. :)

I believe what he was told was that one person would run one race and another person would run another race to get the challenge medal.

It's pretty pathetic but that is the type of people we have in the world today.

I will be glad to sell them a medal if they want one that bad.

They ran out of medals at the Marine Corps Marathon last year because multiple people found a way to get back in line to get the same medal two or three times. Lots of medals for sale on ebay the next day. Lots of unhappy runners deprived of their chance to be "medaled" by a Marine.

Thank goodness most people are decent and nice.

In addition to what CaptHomer said, I've also seen results where people will, for example, have a 5K split, but no 10K or 15K split during the half marathon...but then they have a finish time. I guess it's possible they missed the timing mats, but it makes you wonder...

I am not debating that there are people who will attempt to get medals they haven't really earned. I'm just perplexed by their possible motivations in undertaking such an endeavor. I have no way to estimate the numbers, but it certainly will not diminish my achievement if 10-20 people (high? low?) get medals that they didn't entirely earn. Don't want to ignite another "Should swept runners get their medal?" conversation; I guess I'm glad that runDisney is taking steps to make sure everyone completes all the races to get the recognition.

On a different, but related, note my sister and I ran the half together during the Dopey last year. She is generally faster than I am, but we decided the half was our "rest" day so she dropped back to my corral and we took it easy and stopped for more pictures than usual to be at our best for the marathon. Anyway, one of our 5K splits didn't register (probably mine, my impatience sometimes pushes me off course when I meet the smallest of logjams, I must enjoy running 14.6 miles instead of 13.1). Probably not normal to miss timing mats, but at least possible to make an honest mistake.

I am not debating that there are people who will attempt to get medals they haven't really earned. I'm just perplexed by their possible motivations in undertaking such an endeavor. I have no way to estimate the numbers, but it certainly will not diminish my achievement if 10-20 people (high? low?) get medals that they didn't entirely earn. Don't want to ignite another "Should swept runners get their medal?" conversation; I guess I'm glad that runDisney is taking steps to make sure everyone completes all the races to get the recognition.

On a different, but related, note my sister and I ran the half together during the Dopey last year. She is generally faster than I am, but we decided the half was our "rest" day so she dropped back to my corral and we took it easy and stopped for more pictures than usual to be at our best for the marathon. Anyway, one of our 5K splits didn't register (probably mine, my impatience sometimes pushes me off course when I meet the smallest of logjams, I must enjoy running 14.6 miles instead of 13.1). Probably not normal to miss timing mats, but at least possible to make an honest mistake.
Wasn't trying to start a debate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter