Double Developer pts cause 7mo shortage?

CapeCodFam

DIS Veteran
Double developer points weren't offered when I added-on at AKV. We took the credit. I must admit that double pts would have been a better deal vs. the $8 credit.

It occurred to me that since developer pts expire within 7mo, will that lead to greater importance of 7-11 month home priority,to secure a booking, while the promotion is active.....

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions.:thumbsup2

Actually, this has no effect at all on availability for owners. The key words are "developer points". Owners are not in competition for these rooms because they haven't been sold yet and thus aren't in the member's pool.

Its the same situation as rooms that are released to CRO when a member decides to use their points for some other purpose (cruise, Disney collection, etc).

I will say, that the double points was a much better deal too.

It really perturbs me that DVC shortchanged the current membership on so many levels with the roll out of AKV and then came out with better deals and offers for new members. Lesson learned, do not purchase with the first offering but wait til sales are open to the public. The public was able to stay first and received double points while current owners have to wait til Sept 1 for their first stays, and did not receive double points.

And yes the double points that have to be used within 7 months has had an impact on availbility. Now that SSR is finished, their availbility is almost nil in October and on.

How could hundreds of thousands of expiring points not have an impact?

I guess I am just stupid in my understanding of the timeshare world but "double developer points" to be used in 7 months sounds like printing paper money with no gold to back it up. If a resort is sold out, how many times can Disney use its developer units? The same pool of points is also used for "refilling" stripped contracts that Disney resells with full points.

There are entirely different sets of inventories. There are member points, developer points and breakage points.

As a member, your member points are used only from the member point pool. Those are available only to the extent that a unit has been sold to a member.

If you got developer points as well, those points only come from the developer pool. These come from the units that haven't been sold yet.

And none of these are competing for rooms coming from the breakage pool, which is when a member decides to either bank their points to next year or to use them for a non-DVC vacation.

If you got developer points as well, those points only come from the developer pool. These come from the units that haven't been sold yet.

That's what I don't get. How can points from a pool of rooms not built yet be spent on units that are owner units? The owner units have owners who are due the time in those rooms???

That's what I don't get. How can points from a pool of rooms not built yet be spent on units that are owner units? The owner units have owners who are due the time in those rooms???

I agree with you! If there are rooms available during a sold out season(?) then the owners are being short changed. By giving away developer points it has to hurt the owners inventory. There is only 1 way to look at this & trying to seperate inventories is short changing the owners.

In this case, the Developer points are from unsold OKW, VB, HH, BWV, VWL, BCV and/or SSR. They are not AKV points from units yet to be built. Most are points reclaimed thru ROFR and that would otherwise not be used at all. As Developer Points, they have no home resort status attached and thus must be used within 7 months. Because of this status they do not place any more strain on the DVC system than already exists. They cannot be banked and will expire at the end of 7 months.

In this case, the Developer points are from unsold OKW, VB, HH, BWV, VWL, BCV and/or SSR. They are not AKV points from units yet to be built. Most are points reclaimed thru ROFR and that would otherwise not be used at all. As Developer Points, they have no home resort status attached and thus must be used within 7 months. Because of this status they do not place any more strain on the DVC system than already exists. They cannot be banked and will expire at the end of 7 months.

Thanks, Doc. I THINK I get it. Disney is using points from current resorts that they have available and have not yet sold. But I'm still not clear how the developer points get used equitably among resorts. My guess is that some resorts get more than their fair share of usage as new members spend their developer points and other resorts get less than a proportional amount of usage. I guess that since it is within the 7 month window all members are affected equally since anyone has the same shot at making reservations at any resort. But I do think that some resorts are being filled up earlier, even during slower times, because of the developer point usage.

... I guess that since it is within the 7 month window all members are affected equally since anyone has the same shot at making reservations at any resort. ...

That's the purpose of only allowing these points to be used for 7 months, with no option to bank them. Basically, they are points acquired by DVD that they know will not be sold within 7 months. They can't be banked, they have no Home Resort status (and thus cannot be transferred) and , as most on this board realize, there is little availability in the next 5 months (especially from October - December).

Since they can ONLY be used for 7 months (and have no Home Resort status) they only place strain on the 7 month system and have no effect on existing reservations (except that MS has been allowing reallocation for these points already used for existing reservations). BUT, they are points that are part of the system already and won't really strain anything beyond it's original design.

DVD's choice is to allow these points to expire or offer them as an incentive. IMO, someone was very creative with this solution. I do wonder how many have purchased (at full price) to get this incentive and will allow at least some of these points to expire??

Another interesting tidbit. Developer points can't be used for the waiting list.
We found out the hard way. We were able to use most of our points but not being able to use the wait list really hurt. Also, we planned to use some points on a hotel in the concierge collection.

It really perturbs me that DVC shortchanged the current membership on so many levels with the roll out of AKV and then came out with better deals and offers for new members. Lesson learned, do not purchase with the first offering but wait til sales are open to the public. The public was able to stay first and received double points while current owners have to wait til Sept 1 for their first stays, and did not receive double points.
I have to say that I was a bit honked off too. I bought in the first month and took the developers points and rented them to off-set my purchase cost. I would have been extra happy if I was able to save another $12 off my purchase price!

Thanks for all of the replies! I now have a better understanding of how the developer pts work.

For us, I'm still glad we purchased when we did. It was before the price increase and we were not subject to waiting for our UY to become available (as I've read others are waiting). I think buying from DVC is similar to re-sale in that a few dollars +/- up front don't mean much over the life of the contract. 'Tis better to get the contract you want then to lose out trying to pinch a few dollars.

We are in the end stage of becoming new DVC members and as of yesterday the bonus of "double your purchase of developer point" is now extended to 12 months from the date of your contract purchase. That means you have 12 mos. to use this "Bonus" and does not have anything to do with your normal "owner" points and use year. It's a great offer if you are planning a WDW trip in the next 12 mos, if not, you should take the discount ($10 on SSR & $8 on AKV). It's very tempting to take the bonus or developer points but you are being pushed to definitely take a WDW trip in near future. You need to seriously plan ahead and decide what's best for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter