Dover AFB area or PA?

TXteachlovesDis

Earning My Ears
Just back from WDW on Sunday (trip report coming very soon). Today, DH comes home and says "I am retiring by summer!" Eek! Now I have to scramble to find a teaching position for next year. We are leaning towards Dover area or PA near the MD state line. Probably more towards Dover. Anyone have any experiences there? What about schools/districts? Any places to avoid?

I'm not sure this is a magical moment, but I know it will work out. Any helpful advice would be so appreciated.

I live in Middletown, Delaware about 1/2 hour north of Dover. I use the medical group there as well as the commissary. Growing but still lots of beautiful horse and farm land.

You can get a fairly large home for around 400K and we're in the #1 school district for Delaware. There's lots of new schools opening so you'll find work quickly. Hey, we're supposed to get a Superwalmart too in about 10 months.

I live in Cecil County, Maryland, just south of the PA line next to Delaware. The cost of living here is less than in PA but I think the PA schools pay better. I doubt that as a teacher you will have any trouble finding a job in the area.

Too funny...I'm in Middletown too and I was about to post the same as you two. In addition to being the best public school district, there are also teaching opportunities at the local private and charter schools. In addition to posting resumes directly to the school districts, you could also look into going to the job fair at the university of Delaware called Project Search. Its usualy in April, and alof the local districts are there interviewing. If you do a search on the UD websitre (www.udel.edu) you coupld probably find more info. I work lovcally in a school, and also worked in Cecil County, both of which were/are good experiences.

In addition to exisitng homes, there are tons of new developments going up here as well.

The public schools in PA are much better than in DE. But the taxes are much higher in PA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter