"Drinks around the monorail"

Mini Sorcerer's Mom

Mini Sorcere's Mom
On our upcoming trip to WDW, we are meeting up with good friends of ours who moved to Florida. They are driving to meet us at disney but have no desire to go to the parks. We are just planning on drinks/dinner and they want something 'fun' but not too much $. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge and our son will be in Kids Club so I don't want to be too far and go to Down Town Disney.
I was thinking about a tour of drinks and apps around the monorail. I was planning to start off at the tiki bar by the pool at the poly. Where can we go for just drinks at the Floridian? Can we just get drinks at Citricos? We will end w dinner at the wave so we can watch the fireworks from the 4th floor. Can we get drinks anywhere else?
Is this too much work? Should we just go to DTD?

On our upcoming trip to WDW, we are meeting up with good friends of ours who moved to Florida. They are driving to meet us at disney but have no desire to go to the parks. We are just planning on drinks/dinner and they want something 'fun' but not too much $. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge and our son will be in Kids Club so I don't want to be too far and go to Down Town Disney.
I was thinking about a tour of drinks and apps around the monorail. I was planning to start off at the tiki bar by the pool at the poly. Where can we go for just drinks at the Floridian? Can we just get drinks at Citricos? We will end w dinner at the wave so we can watch the fireworks from the 4th floor. Can we get drinks anywhere else?
Is this too much work? Should we just go to DTD?

Wave has good Martinis...GF has good bar also

I think it is Mizner's lounge at the GF. Is the Outer Rim still at the Contemporary???

We've done this a couple of times and it is a lot of fun! At the GF, Mizner's Lounge is great. There is a small bar at Citrico's that serves very good martinis -- if they are not crowded you can likely get a seat. (Mizner's is certainly better for conversation.) At the Contemporary, Outer Rim is good (it was still there last year but I have heard rumors it is going away). Also, sometimes you will be allowed in the bar at California Grill. If you can swing that, the view is magnificent and they have some good appetizer choices. (I'll warn you this has been hit or miss for us; if Cali Grill is busy they may not be letting those without reservations in at all.)

Enjoy!

We enjoy the Wave at CR too...nice wine selection, good apps. There's a also a bar inside Narcoosee's at the GF that's quite nice! We also enjoyed the bar inside the Poly - the appetizers were YUM here. The only downside that if there is a huge crowd waiting for Ohana's, it can turn into madness...lot less lounge-y and a lot more like waiting in an airport!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe DH and I should do that, although we are planning going to the Ditch in Epcot. Hmm, maybe we can do both. :laughing: Have fun!:drinking:

Don't forget about the Outer Rim Lounge which is located on the 4th floor of the Contemporary Tower between the Contempo Cafe and Chef Mickey's.

Here's what I would suggest:

Start at Contemporary (I believe you can take a boat right there from the Wilderness Lodge, anyway) with the Wave Lounge. It has a great atmosphere and a really relaxing set-up. They specialize in organic ingredients, as well, so they tend to have interesting cocktails and beer options. And, since it's in a restaurant, they serve a limited menu right there at the bar.

From there, hop on the monorail to the Polynesian and try to squeeze into the Tambu Lounge. Everyone raves about the Lapu Lapus, and I guess it's kind of a must if you're monorail lounge hopping. Since it's in a hollowed out pineapple, it comes with its own snack! It looks like it can get quite busy, though. There's also the Kona sushi bar on the other side of the lobby, if you're into that sort of thing.

Next stop, Grand Floridian and Mizner's Lounge. I don't think they serve any food, but it's a nice enough little joint. Well, worth the stop.

Then, end your night in the lounge section at the California Grill. This one is a little tricky. If they have a fuill house, they won't let you up without a reservation. However, if you're there early enough (before the fireworks), it shouldn't be a problem. You can order the full restaurant menu in the lounge, and the chairs are really comfortable. I suggest getting a couple flatbreads and sharing to keep the costs down.

Anyway, this is what I would do in your shoes. Just thought I'd share.

An alternative to Mizner's at GF would be the bar out at Narcoossee's. It's a small bar in the restaurant but the bartender will put your drinks in take away glasses and you can sit out on the dock, if it's a nice afternoon/evening.

Mizner's at the GF..it's really nice in the evening when they have the band playing. If you are going to be at the Poly the Sushi bar at Kona is very good too for casual apps and drinks (the bar at O'Hana as well but it is usually a mad zone).I know it's not on the monorail loop but the bar outside of Artist Point at the Wl is a great lounge. Maybe you can start or end there then take the boat to the Contemporary.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!! I didn't even know the GF had a lounge nor did I know you could just get drinks (pending crowd) at California Grill. :thumbsup2 Would the pool bar at the Poly work? I believe you can get flatbreads there. This might be as much fun as drinks around the world at Epcot! Well, maybe not that much fun, but a good time for certain.
Again, thanks for all the great suggestions!

This is such a fun idea. I'm glad to hear such good things about the Mizner Lounge at GF. We are staying there in March and I like to sit in the lobby and have a drink in the lobby.

Is the lounge open while the band is still playing in the lobby?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter