Drive from DL to Universal

chiefbrody

Earning My Ears
We are going to DL in April and will drive to Universal early one morning. Probably on a Wed or Thurs. Any reccommendations on the best route to avoid rush hour? (If that is possible in LA)... Should we just take I5 to 101 and just plan to sit in traffic or should we try to avoid it by taking hwy 57 up to I210 through Pasadena/Glendale?

Thanks for the help :moped:

but your best bet is the 57 to the 210 west. The 5 north is always the worst way to go, and if it's raining, you can bet there will be an accident (very easy to hydroplane, & after the 91 only 3 lanes). Both the 57 and 210 are much newer, and have more lanes and better traction. I have taken that route on very rainy days and dry and like it much better.
Amor4Pooh :goodvibes

Hi All,
I was wondering about the time it would take from Disney to Universal on a sunday morning. Is the drive difficult?? ( where I come from we drive on the other side of the road and can only imagine those fantastic freeways you guys have in LA!)

I would plan on an hour to an hour and a half. A local would be able to better answer how the drive is, but on a Sunday morning, I don't think it will be too bad, and the route isn't very complicated. You'll see all the signs where to exit when you get near Universal.

Here's a link to driving directions:

http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/ush_park_hours_directions.html

They describe the most direct route, the 5 to the 101, which should be ok on a Sunday morning. Just keep an eye out for signs like this http://www.scvresources.com/east_la_60.jpg which will guide you into the correct lane for the upcoming transition. (That picture is from a different freeway, but you get the idea.) Once you're on the 101 you'll take a fairly circuitous route through downtown LA (the "slot"), through Hollywood, the Cahuenga Pass, and the Universal Studios Blvd exit.

I completely agree with the direct route 5 to the 101....right after downtown LA, you will be in full speed....

Sundays have no traffic in the morning unless you go to Easter Service at the Bowl.

It sounds like I5 - 101 is the best bet for Sunday... So everyone recommends 57 -210 on weekdays?

Thanks for the help

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter