• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Driving from Atlanta to Orlando...

ColoradoDisneyFan

Mouseketeer
We waited too long to get our airfare and now I'm looking at flying into Atlanta and driving to WDW. We would save at least $1200!! It looks like a 6-7 hr drive. Any tips from those of you who drive down from Atlanta??

The drive may be a bit longer but if you save $1200 it's worth it. I live in FL and probably the best way to get to WDW is heading south on I-75 to the Florida Turnpike (exits on left lane around Wildwood). We take Turnpike to Exit 267A toll road 429 to the WDW exit. The road you exit on is Western Way and it brings you into Disney a back way by Animal Kingdom and The Coronado Resort. From there you can follow signs to where you are going to stay. 429 is a toll road but I think it's only about $2, the tpke has a $2.50 toll. Just be careful on 429 and Western Way becasue they always seem to be running radar on these roads.:woohoo:

We live in Atlanta and have made the drive many times. It can take any where between 6-8 hours depending on traffic, stops, etc. It's not a bad drive. What time of day will you be leaving Atlanta? That will make a huge difference. What we've done on the last few trips is drive down to Gainsville, FL and spend the night. Then we are only like an hour and a half from WDW and can have a full day in the parks and not be too exhausted.

We are flying from Denver so it looks like we will get there late afternoon at the earliest. We are thinking that we will drive only part of the way that day. I think that will be enough travel time for one day!! How far is the drive to Gainesville?

I do this drive all the time, it's a real easy drive. It's about seven hours from the Atlanta airport. Cruise dad's directions are the best! That exit is new and it saves so much time. Just have some change for the toll road. The drive to Gainsville is a little over five hours. The good thing about this drive is that it's all interstate where the speed limit is 70 miles per hour most of the drive. If you make it to Gainsville you're just a couple of hours away from the world. Just keep on going, check in late and wake up at Disney the next day.

We live in a suburb just north of Atlanta, and we always drive to WDW. We follow the directions listed below. It's really not a bad drive at all, and it's easily doable in one day. Just avoid driving out of Atlanta during rush hour at all costs, as traffic is a bear. It usually takes us 7.5 hours including a stop for lunch and a couple of potty break stops. Using Western Way is a great time saver as well.

The drive may be a bit longer but if you save $1200 it's worth it. I live in FL and probably the best way to get to WDW is heading south on I-75 to the Florida Turnpike (exits on left lane around Wildwood). We take Turnpike to Exit 267A toll road 429 to the WDW exit. The road you exit on is Western Way and it brings you into Disney a back way by Animal Kingdom and The Coronado Resort. From there you can follow signs to where you are going to stay. 429 is a toll road but I think it's only about $2, the tpke has a $2.50 toll. Just be careful on 429 and Western Way becasue they always seem to be running radar on these roads.:woohoo:

WDW DIRECTIONS

NEW ROUTE-

TO WDW:
I-75
I-475 @ exit 177
I-75
Florida Turnpike @ exit 328
FL-429 (Western Beltway) @ exit 267A
right toward Tampa
exit WDW & Hartzog Road
Western Way leads to Coronado Springs Resort area (Buena Vista Drive)

BACK HOME:
Coronado Springs Resort area (Buena Vista Drive)
turn @ Western Way
FL-429 NORTH
Florida Turnpike NORTH
I-75
I-475 @ exit 156
I-75

OLD ROUTE-

TO WDW:
I-75
I-475 @ exit 177
I-75
Florida Turnpike @ exit 328
US-27 @ exit 289
US-192

BACK HOME:
US-192
US-27
Florida Turnpike
I-75
I-475 @ exit 156
I-75

The time of day you will land in Atlanta can really make a difference. Since you're coming to the airport, you will be able to avoid the downtown traffic, but you still might catch some of rush hour on the south end of the city when you leave the airport. :drive: (Also, the airport in Atlanta can be an experience in itself,depending on the time of day and day of the week; it may very well take you a while to get your luggage and get the rental car before you can even get on the road.)

If you fear too much travel for the first day, you might also want to consider Macon, Valdosta, or Lake City as your overnight stop. They're all a little closer than Gainesville.

Oh, and BTW, when you leave the airport, you will have to take I-285 to get to I-75,then follow the directions previously given. ;)

The biggest problem you are going to face is on I-75 south of Atlanta. The sooner you can hit the road the better. Just be prepared for heavy traffic in that area. If you don't want to drive all the way to Gainsville Valdosta, Ga is about 3.5 hours and Lake City, Fl is probably 4.5 hours. Both have plenty of hotel options as well.

I don't know when you are leaving but you can catch a flight out of Chattanooga TN, (which is a 1 1/2 hr to 2 hr drive from ATL) on Allegiant air for $49 to $59 one way. ($100 round trip) They offer direct flights to Orlando/Sanford.

I've driven from Atlanta a number of times. I wouldn't bother stopping anywhere north of Perry, GA...Macon is too close to Atlanta.

If I were you I'd make a guess as to how long I'd be able to stand driving after flying and book a hotel accordingly. I would probably pick Valdosta (half way), Gainesville or Ocala. Also, if my trip didn't coincide with football season or race weeks I wouldn't make a hotel reservation. I'd try for a Country Inn & Suites or a Hampton Inn on the fly. You need to carry a list of those hotels or the AAA book for Florida to pull it off.

On the negative side you might want to price your rent a car before assuming you'll save even $600 doing this. Atlanta is a business destination and I never could find a good rental deal here when I used to fly in. You might want to check into doing something similar from Miami, Tampa or St. Petersburg...or even Jacksonville.

When plotting your time...

ALL rental cars in Atlanta are a shuttle bus ride away. And unless things have changed in the last year NONE of them do a great job on customer service LOL!

It's going to take a while to get your luggage and a car. (Think over an hour easy)

Just wanted to say thanks for all this great info. Not my thread, but it really helped me. We will be driving down from PA with our three kids ages 5, 3 and 3 mos. We just can't afford 4 airfares anymore.

We had planned on stopping in Atlanta for a hotel break since kids couldn't manage the whole trip in one day. This gives me some cities to look for hotels at...no way would I chance not being able to find something on the fly, especially with the baby.

thanks!

It's not a bad drive at all. Even with stops for a baby and a toddler, coming from 30 minutes north of the airport, it takes us less than 8 hours.
As long as you can be on the road by 4:30, then you should avoid most of the traffic. Otherwise, maybe stop for an early dinner shortly after you get on 75S. If you have a handheld with internet access, here is a site to check traffic: http://georgianavigator.com/maps/atlanta Otherwise, the radio is a good option, obviously - I just always seem to JUST miss the traffic report. ;)

I agree with others who have posted how long it takes to get a rental car and luggage. If it's an option with your group, send one person to pick up the car while the others wait for the luggage. The person with the car can then circle back around to pick up the people with luggage at the doors right outside baggage claim. (Make sure to check if your luggage will be on the South = Red side or the Blue = North side before taking off to get the car, and then just follow the signs to the appropriate baggage claim upon return.)

I know this thread is old but it's relevant to my question and saves on opening new threads :)

I am due to fly into Atlanta International Airport on a Friday in July, stay in a near-by hotel for the night and then drive down to Orlando on the Saturday morning, my route would be on the 407 to the I-75, can somebody please advise what would be the best time on the Saturday morning to set off to avoid any major traffic problems around Atlanta.

Thanks.

Pete.

We live in Atlanta and have made the drive to Orlando twice a year for the past several years. It's really not a bad drive. The only really long stretch is between Macon and the Florida line. Also, for what it's worth, we purchased a Sunpass to use at the tolls and that worked very well for us. It's a source of ribbing that we (Georgia residents) own a Florida Sunpass, but, hey, what can I say?!? ;)

We live in Atlanta and have made the drive to Orlando twice a year for the past several years. It's really not a bad drive. The only really long stretch is between Macon and the Florida line. Also, for what it's worth, we purchased a Sunpass to use at the tolls and that worked very well for us. It's a source of ribbing that we (Georgia residents) own a Florida Sunpass, but, hey, what can I say?!? ;)

Thanks Crystal, what sort of time on the Saturday morning would you recommend leaving Atlanta to avoid any traffic?

Given that you are headed out on a Saturday I think you will be ok with whatever time you choose. We live northeast of Atlanta and we try to pull out around 7 am (which usually means we leave around 7:30 or 8:00) and that is a pretty good time. If you are traveling around a holiday you might want to leave a little earlier just to beat those of us north of the city out of town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter