Driving route help needed please

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
Yahoooooo, we are going back to Disney. Last time we drove we took I-75 all the way. We have been told by a few people that I-95 is quicker and less KMS. What route do you all prefer....

We will be leaving Toronto on Oct 24th at 3:30 PM (when he gets off work) driving 24hours straight through.

Which route should we take.

Thanks for the help.

From Toronto, there isn't much difference in time between taking I-75, or another route.
We like crossing at Fort Erie and taking the I-77/I-79/I-95 route. It has less truck traffic and is very scenic. You'll spend a bit more in gas because you are in the mountains for quite a long time. My oldest DS prefers I-75, because the mountains make him nauseous.
In winter, I-75 is definitely the preferred route.
Maybe you could try driving down one way and home the other.:D

I agree with Nancy...we prefer the I-77/I-79/I-95. As she said...less truck traffic & I believe it's actually a bit quicker. It's definitely not a route you would drive in the winter but gorgeous in the summer. Happy driving...I've done it many times & just love it :).

We found the I-95 route to be a couple of hours quicker. We also cross over at Erie. Time of year has everything to do with which route to take. I would never attempt the mountains during the winter, but loved the scenery when we went down in April.

Ooooh! You guys have me looking forward to that route down in August. It has been decades since I have been that way, and the only thing that I remember from before is that there was nothing in the line of gas, restaurants, motels, for miles. I know that that has changed! Let's see....how many days left? (I have to post to find out! :p )

Looks like everyone goes I-95 route. Since most of our drive will be through the night is there any area you would avoid at night time??? Is the hwy as open as I-75?

Thanks everyone for your input.

The highway isn't as open as I75 & there are areas that are quite "mountainous". However, I wouldn't worry about it. In 2001 I didn't make hotel reservations for our 1st night (a weekend in July) and we ended up driving right through the most mountainous part of the trip in the dark. We finally found a hotel at 2 am and I'd been up since 5am so I was really tired but the driving was fine (I did all the driving). It was kind of too bad we missed the view but we got to see it all on the way home ;).

You might actually be better off driving through the mountains at night...less traffic. You drive right through a "mountain" twice & it's really cool. The tunnel is lit up at night but it's cool to see this mountain ahead of you during the day and wonder "where in the heck am I going?" before you see the tunnel heading straight through. I think it's really neat.

Oh this makes me want to hop in the car & head for WDW...I can't imagine not driving there this summer...it's become a tradition. October is so far away & we're flying. I want to drive down right now. :teeth: Have fun. :) ;)

One thing to remember that the central route 79 77 95 does not have that many service areas and not a lot of cities to stop at nite.
During the weekdays I95 thru to Florida is a very busy and heavily travelled road.
Having said that though it is the route that I prefer only because we stop and cruise the beach at Daytona every time we go to Florida, its a tradition to drive on the beach for our family.:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

can I impose on you all for some more help.

We have decided to leave on Oct 25th and drive straight through we are about an hour north of Toronto. Any idea if we do the I-95 route where that puts us at what time. We figured if we left at 3AM we would be crossing into the States about 6 - 6:30 but after that we are lost....help please......

Thanks

Also does anyone know if there is a book like the I-75 one that is awesome information tool but we haven't been able to find one on the I-95 route.

The best thing to do is if you have CAA to go in and get a set of trip tiks for your planned route one way and maybe another route for the return trip.
If you don't have CAA find a friend who does.:smooth:
The trip tiks are like the I75 book for your route but do not have all the other information, however you can plan your driving times and waypoints by using them.
When I was in New Hampshire a few years ago at a KOA they had books like the I75 book for I95, not as good, but I have not gone looking for one since then.
Good luck! ;)

Added: I found a link to a I95 website that might be helpful
http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm

We keep a log each year which really comes in handy when planning our next trip :). Here's an example of the times we reached certain places after crossing the border on one of our trips...hope this gives you an idea of some times and helps you a bit with your planning:

12:50 pm Crossed into US at Rainbow Bridge
3;09 pm Crossed into PA
3:31 pm I79
5:05 pm Pittsburg, PA
6:02 pm Waynesburg, PA
6:51 pm Crossed into WV
8:21 pm Highway 19
9:32 pm Beckley, WV (spent the night at the Hampton Inn)

7:25 am On the Road (again ;))
8:06 am Crossed into VA
8:22 am Big Walker Tunnel (through the mountain)
9:03 am Crossed into NC
10:50 pm Charlotte, NC
10:58 pm Crossed into SC
11:09 pm Rock Hill, SC (stopped at Rock Hill Galleria to shop)
12:52 pm Back on the road
2:22 pm Orangeburg, SC
2:40 pm I95
3:48 pm Crossed into GA
4:50 pm Brunswick, GA
5:35 pm Crossed into FL
6:00 pm Jacksonville, FL
6:30 pm St. Augustine, FL
7:18 pm Daytona Beach (outskirts)
8:00 pm Orlando (City Limits)
8:21 pm Arrived at WDW

As juniorbugman said, the CAA TripTiks are great if you can get one. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me...I'd be happy to help with what I can. :)

Just wanted to warn you that we spent 2X as much on gas on the I-95 route then we did on I-75. We drive a Surburban and we had to fill up every couple of hours throught the mountains. it was a really expensive drive for us on the way back we did I-75 and gas was right at what we had budgeted. I also found the I-95 route to be incredibly boring I much prefer the built up I-75 with lots of cities, restaurants, hotels and outlet malls.

Allison

We much prefer the I75 route but we have family in Windsor that we stay with overnight and then leave first thing in the am. I like the straight forward road of the I75. Looks like I'm in the minority here.

With the exception of the fall of 99 we have always gone I-75. Both my DS and I were very car sick going the other way. The mountains are beautiful but the back and forth all the time was just too much for me. When driving in October there may be fog in those mountains. Something you might want to look into if you're driving through the night. It can really slow you down and if you're not expecting it it could frustrate you.

Anyways, what ever you decide enjoy the trip down as well as the time in Florida.

We drive back and forth from Atlanta to Toronto twice per year.
We have driven both routes. I-75 is pretty boring, but many places to stop enroute.
The other route is very pretty and scenic, but what I don't like about it is driving through the mountains in any inclement weather (we did it in the rain, and it wasn't fun) and the fact there are much greater distances between places to stop.
I would say decide once you know what the weather is going to be like. It does seem a little faster from Toronto. We drove that route Nov1st (01) without any problems. Next week - we are going I-75 as we are stopping just beyond Windsor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter