Driving straight through?

Limmer

DIS Veteran
Are we crazy? We are 4 adults driving in a Hyundai Sonata with minimal luggage. We can all drive. Are we being too optimistic? Will we make it all the way through? How long has it taken you to get there? We are in Barrie, 1 hour north of TO.

We'vedone it three times from Chatham. Takes us on average about 21-22 hours. Minimal stops - just gas, McDonald's for lunch and usually a sit-down type dinner just to catch a second wind. Plan when you are going to arrive though as the first time we did it we left a 12:30 p.m. and arrived around 10:00 a.m. Of course we couldn't get into our rooms until 4:00 and then didn't end up going to bed until 10:00 p.m. It's better to sleep late in the morning then leave late afternoon, or else go to bed right after dinner and leave around 2:00 a.m. which would get you there around 11:00 or midnight.

We've done it a few times - and with only 2 drivers. With four drivers it shouldn't be a problem for you. Have a great time!

Sounds like you won't have any problem. Four drivers should make it very easy on all of you. Take pillows so that the ones not driving can sleep. I would suggest that the 2 in the back sleep while the 1 in the passenger seat stays awake with the driver.
We alsways leave late afternoon or early evening in order to arrive in Orlando at a reasonable time to check in.
I say go for it, and have a wonderful time!

We did it years ago with three small kids. DH & I took turns driving. The driving part was fine but the kids were full of energy when we arrived & we were exhausted. But with 4 adults to drive...go for it. We left late afternoon & arrived late afternoon...I would want the all-night driving to be when we were fairly fresh & wide awake vs. the end of the trip. JMO.

As Baboo posted above, as a safetly precaution, make sure someone in front is awake with the driver...you never know how tired you are sometimes.

Have fun.

We did it last December with my wife and I sharing the driving. I was coming off night shift at work. We left at about 11:00 am on Friday and arrived about 9:00 Saturday morning. I did most of the driving during the night. Luckily DS (10) travels well. We stopped for gas, bathroom breaks and fast food. We will probably try it again.

John

We drove straight through and it took us a little over 18 hours thatr was with gas and food breaks. We live in London and there were 3 drivers 2 drove down and 2 drove back I did all but about 6 hours of the entire drive there and back. We left just after dinner around 6:30 and arrived at about 12 in the afternoon on the way there we stopped for the night in Valdosta on the way home no stop at all for the night. With 4 adults to split the driving you should have no problems at all

I did that from Quebec 3 times in the last 2 years and I'm about to do it again next july :)

When with kids, i use to stop a few hours to sleep, but the 2 times i drove without kids we were 2 adults and did it in about 24 hours.

We use to bring a cooler in the car with something to eat so we don't have to stop except for fueling. Also, while at Disney, we love to have the cooler so we can keep something to eat, or to drink :D on the ice.

Have a great trip... mine is only 37 days from now :bounce:

Hey Charles...looks like we'll be there around the same time...be sure to wear your green ribbon :) .

Lisa

hmmm...

excuse me, but what is that green ribbon for ?

I'll have 3 children following me, isn't that enough ??? lol

We'll be checking in on july 6th and leave on july 19th.

Hi We just came back from wdw three wks ago.

I have to say if I was going to drive straight through I would do it on the way back, so then you can get your bed whenever you want it. No having to wait for your motel room. It would be very hard and frustrating to drive all that way and not have a hotel room waiting for you.

Heres what I would do get up early and leave around 3 or 4 a.m. and drive til around 7 or 8 at night, pull over stay in a motel for the night, get up leave by 8 and you have a short day and will be rested and able to function the second day. So you would drive 16 to l7 hours, then you only have 3 to 5hrs the next a.m. and it will be less tiring. It took us 20 hrs. to orlando, we stopped every 2 to 3 hrs for bathroom breaks, stretches and packed a lunch and also bought wendys 99 cent menu items, best value at a fast food place for a canadian.

Also I prebook a motel usually one that provides a continental breakfast, hampton inn, fairfield, country inn and suites, amerisuites, comfort inn.

We because of circumstances left hamilton at ll.00 a.m. (usually leave at 3a.m.) arrived at rock hill, s.c. at ll p.m. l2 hours, then we had 8 hours the next day to orlando.

On the way home we had one night at ormond beach, so we left in the a.m. at 4.50 a.m. from ormond beach and arrived home just before midnight, (about 19 hrs) and picked up milk and crawled into our own beds, but it was long and tiring.

Hubby did all the driving,and we were 4 adults in a minivan, so it was nice as one person could lay on the bench, and we had 4 recling captains chairs.

We drove thru fort erie, thru new york, onto erie penn, then 79/77 to I 95, not hwy 75.

Deb.

The lime green ribbon shows you are from the DIS board....there are several posts about it (it's tough to find "lime" green ribbon) .

We're at the GF from July 10th -20th: me, a family friend & DD (14) so we have it pretty easy (did it once with DH & 3 kids between the ages of 3 & 7, so I know what it's like :eek: ). Have fun & enjoy them while they are young :).

Lisa

Hi DisneyLisa:

When we were there three weeks ago, I forgot my green ribbon, but I looked all over everywhere and never saw a green ribbon. Darn it all.

When I got back I found out someone from the dis was also at the poly concierge. I guess I should have checked the list of whos going before I left and also staying at my resort.

My hubby heard some ladies mentioning babruka's name, she is on the dis too, but I was not with him so I never got to ask them if they were from the dis.

I would also ask people if they were from the dis, while doing laundry or small talk, and they had never heard of it. Too bad for them I thought. lol

Have a great trip,

Deb.

We're planning to tie some ribbon onto our fanny pouches and see what happens. I'll have to check the "who's going in July" list before I leave just so I know who's staying where. I know there are a few people on this board who are leaving the GF as we arrive.

We're getting really excited about the drive down...starting to make our list for food for the cooler;) .

Lisa

Hi ,

Just bought my ribbon ;)

I'll be easy to find since I'll also have a blue and a yellow ribbon to represent my web site's colors ;)

Hi Charles,

I just took a look at your web site. My French is limited (even though my Mother is French) but your pictures are great. I'll be looking for your green ribbon (we'll also have small Canada pins on). Have a great time...I bet your family is excited as we are :D .

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter