• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dumb question: Packing with Ziplocs?

Figment&Piglet

“A dream can be a dream come true”
Hi! This might seem like a weird question, but here goes: I seem to remember a thread where people were describing in detail how to pack everything they bring into various sized Ziploc bags. I don't insert stuff in the bags :) but I remember there was a whole "method to their madness" of putting an outfit a day in each bag, what to put in each sized bag, etc., etc. Can someone point me to it?

Well, I don't remember the title of the thread, but I do use ziplocs a lot. YOu could do a search and just put in ziplocs.

For what I do, here ya go:
Each child has their outfits in bags, so I put top, bottoms, matching socks, and depending on who it's for, a pair of underwear. Then just press down as you seal to get out any air. Depending on the season we are going in, the bottoms will either be shorts or pants. Then separately, each child has two or three nuetrals of the opposite thing (shorts if pants are in the bag, etc) I don't put those in a bag, nor do I pack my DHs or my clothes in the bags, mainly because we do a lot of mix and match clothing to cut down the amount we need to bring.

I also put all toiletries in ziploc to avoid any spills, pack the diaper wipes in ziplocs, take any snacks we are bringing on the trip in bags so they take up less room than in their boxes and bring LOTS of empties of various sizes.

Hope this helps a little. The key is to really make sure you smush out the air in those bags.

I also use ziplock bags quite often. I used them for tolietries, snacks, makeup and small souveniers. They can be very helpful during your trip.

The ziploc idea worked GREAT for our trip when the kids were 4 and 6. I put a day's outfit in each bag, including hair bows and stuff. Then in the morning I just threw the bag to the kid and told them to put on everything in the bag. Didn't have to hunt for socks or whatever.

I also use these to pack a change of clothes for the kids when we go to the parks. The bags are easy to squeeze the air out of so it makes a nice little package to throw into the backpack. Plus it keeps everything dry. If one of my kids has an accident or spill, My DH or I can take them into a restroom to change. Then the dirty clothes can be put back into the ziplock. Also, I put extra film, ID, Money, medicines, etc. in one incase our whole backpack get wet. Hope this helps!

Also, if you're taking a video camera or camera, get the larger ones, I think they are gallon size, and just before hitting the water rides place your cameras in those and zip them up. We did this everytime and never had a problem with ruined cameras.

We just place the cameras in ziplocks, then in our backpack and away we go.

Pammy

Ziploc Bags work great!

I packed my kids outfits in each bag. For instance, I put a shirt, shorts, socks, and underwear in one bag and sealed it. I had enough bags and labeled each bag with the day I wanted each child to wear that outfit. It worked out great b/c I just pulled the bag out in the morning and we were ready to go!

It also is nice if a shirt gets really messy and you don't want it mixing with the other clothes. You can throw it in the bag and seal it and no mess.

I found 2 gallon size ziploc bags at Outdoor World. I found them near the registers. I am sure they could be found somewhere else.

The 2 gallon size are great for adult clothes. It also helps keep the wrinkles to a minimum.

Using bags, you save room in your suitcase which means you can bring back more souvenirs!:D

Lisa

keep in mind with the current airport regulations this is the way to pack when the airlines open your bags everything goes back in the bag intact.......very helpful on your carryon luggage....

We are going to WDW for 2 weeks and my mim suggested only packing 1 week worth of clothes since we will have a washer/dryer.

Well, by using the ziplocks for my 3-year-olds clothes, I was able to pack 2 weeks worth, plus some...

Figment&Piglet:
Most of your questions about packing w/ Ziplocs have already been answered but maybe I can save your sanity about where you read it. It is a popular tip so it could have been anywhere, but maybe it was my reply to a thread started by pepperidge called "Tips for families traveling with toddlers and/or infants ".
In addition to the already posted info I can add that if you like to coordinate your children's clothing so they kind of match each day for pictures, label the bags so you can easily grab the matching/coordinating outfits.

...these were just the types of tips I was looking for! We're going down for 8 nights in May (for our daughter's first birthday!), and I've never been what you'd call a "light packer" (my husband would LOL). Needless to say with a baby and all the extra "stuff" to lug like car seats, diapers, etc. etc., I want to save lots of space, and this seems like a great way to do it! Thanks again!

Now that I know you have a girl and she is going to be one I have a GREAT suggestion that has server us well for years.
Gymboree, Gymboree, Gymboree......
We buy enough separate outfits from Gymboree for each of our girls (3, and 6) from the same line so they will have 1 complete separate outfit for each day. Then we buy the accessories from the one line and we are set. We usually go in the Fall/Winter and coordinate hats, jackets, socks, and hair accessories. We pack one child's shirt, pants/leggings/shorts, 2 pairs of socks, & underwear in a 1 gallon bag (definitely enough size for a baby), squish out the air as you roll bag and then seal shut.
In the morning we let each child pick out their own bag (gives them some independence) and everything is together.
When we go to bed I stain sick their clothes after they take off and put in big garbage bag. Makes laundry a lot easier at home. The other benefit to the Gymboree line is that you can wash them together as they usually the same color family.
We have used this since 1st child was a baby and it works perfect for us.
If you do not have a Gymboree store close by I swear by their website. Gymboree.com

I just returned from vacation (a non-Disney one) and had read this thread before I left. My kids are a little older so I didn't do an outfit in each bag but did use the bags for socks, undies, swim suits and other assorted small items. I was surprised how convienent that was! It was a space saver, kept things organized and the bags came in handy during the trip for lots of things. I used the large 2 gal. size, 1 gal. and quart sized bags. So thanks for the tips everyone!:) :) :)

I put an outfit a day for my daughter in a bag but I just used the plastic bags from the grocery store and tied the top in a square knot. It worked fine. You could also color code: clothes for a hot day in one color bag, warmer clothes in another color, night clothes in another etc. It worked great. We also made sure each of us had a spare set of clothes in each other's suitcase in case one suitcase got lost.

We did use ziplocs for keeping video camera dry which was in our backpack on water rides.

We just got back from WDW yesterday, and we used ziplocs for packing, and let me tell you, they worked out great!! I didn't put an outfit in each one, but used the 2 gallon ones and put all of DD's shirts in one, all of her shorts in another, etc. and then did the same for DS's clothes. I also did the same for my clothes. Then I repacked everything back in the ziplocs, so that when I unpacked, I could just unzip the bag and dump the stuff into the laundry! It really helped keep things organized, and what I did was sit on the bags, lol, to get all the excess air out, and then zipped them up, and it saved so much room in our suitcases! It left room for all of those souveniers!!:D

This doesn't pertain to packing but it does relate to Ziplocs. I always carry a half-dozen empty sandwich size bags in my purse, especially at theme parks. There is nothing liike scooping up those half-finished kids meals for a snack 10 minutes after leaving the restaurant when my DD says she's hungry again! We have a saying in our family - "Real Dads carry band-aids in their wallets and real Moms carry ziplocs in their purses.":)

This is kind of a gross use, but here goes!
When we went to WDW this Jan, I took ziplocks and used them for the usual, baby diapers, wipes, extra clothes, etc. Well, the day before we left for home, baby got stomach flu, and - you guessed it- about an hour into the drive home, other ds and I both had it! (out of about 20 family members, 15 got it- yuck!). Since we were driving and it wasn't always possible to pull over safely if someone needed to - ziplocks were the answer! Pretty gross, but better to be sick in something you can seal up, rather than a bucket that can spill and smell up the car! I'd definately keep them within reach in the car if you're driving and have anyone prone to carsickness, plus you never know what bug you could pick up somewhere.:D

Just a mention that you probably want to go with the freezer bags rather than the storage bags, the seams on the storage bags rip rather easily when used for packing.

Wal-Mart is the most consistent source I know for large-size (over 1 gallon) zipper freezer bags.

I bring an assortment with us when we travel as well; I roll up the extras and store them on one of the gallon bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter