DVC Annual Dues Rates For 2013

With BLT now sold out, the occupancy levels of BLT vrs CR should be stable now, so I would think that increases because of this shouldn't happen any more.

BLT is not sold out. A resort does not get sold out across the board. It's sold out in Use Years. There are Use Years still available. I was talking to my guide today in reference to what points were available at the resorts with the different Use Years. BLT still has points for different Use Years.

BLT is not sold out. A resort does not get sold out across the board. It's sold out in Use Years. There are Use Years still available. I was talking to my guide today in reference to what points were available at the resorts with the different Use Years. BLT still has points for different Use Years.

Technically no DVC resorts ever truly "sell out." You can always buy points from Disney for any of them. But what PP means in this case is Disney is no long actively selling BLT with incentives, etc. The only two resorts Disney is actively selling right now is AKV and Aulani. But you can still buy BLT, you'll always be able to buy there.

We own at several of the resort but a 6.5 percent increase is terrible. What is the rate of inflation? Once again Disney sells something and then increases rates. I totally understand that dues goes up but how many people would accept these increases in their main resisdence if it was a similiar type ownership. In fact I believe Disney feels they can charge whatever they want and really how much say do the membership have.

With BLT now sold out, the occupancy levels of BLT vrs CR should be stable now, so I would think that increases because of this shouldn't happen any more.

There could still be variances over time. Just depends upon how guests respond to a given resort as DVC continues to build out.

I've never felt that BWV appeals to an "older crowd"--it's been our kids' favorite since they were very young. But the addition of larger accommodations at BLT and AKV may have siphoned-off some of the bigger traveling parties.

The other factor--to which DVC doesn't contribute--is occupancy on the hotel side. Sticking with the BoardWalk, historically it is a big convention destination. Average room occupancy for convention groups is probably just 1 or 2 occupants per room. But with the economy in doldrums the last few years, perhaps Disney's convention business is down and BWI is attracting more traditional hotel guests with larger parties. More guests staying on the hotel side could also have been a cause for the shift in dollars at BW.

We own at several of the resort but a 6.5 percent increase is terrible. What is the rate of inflation?

Rate of inflation doesn't really apply. 75% of the operating costs are employee salaries, benefits (including insurance costs) and taxes. All of those are bound to increase.

Property taxes are determined by the county and subject to their whims.

And another cost component is the addition of new services like the staffed front desk at BLT.

Once again Disney sells something and then increases rates.

Confused by the "once again" comment. Do you feel other resorts have followed similar patterns?

I totally understand that dues goes up but how many people would accept these increases in their main resisdence if it was a similiar type ownership.

Depends upon the specifics. Again, if amenities and services are being added you would expect costs to rise.

In fact I believe Disney feels they can charge whatever they want...

Legally, they can't. The timeshare industry has a long history of developer abuse which lead to multiple layers of government involvement and oversight. Budgets are reviewed by external auditors and state regulators. The dollars billed to owners must be used to operate the facilities.

...and really how much say do the membership have.

None. Unfortunately that's part of the deal we signed on for. We either trust the management company to do a fair job of balancing costs and services or we get out.

I understand some increase but the percentage seems out of whack. I forgot that the value of things in florida especially real estate have risen. As for trusting the management. It is a business so the more Clair show profit the better she looks. When you get into allocations and things do you really believe that this is done at an arms length. They can have different companies and different management but in reality aren;t they real one company under the Walt Disney Company umbrella. I like what I own it just seems like the increase is out of line this year.

We either trust the management company to do a fair job of balancing costs and services or we get out.

So true. Last year my MF increased by an average of 4.81% which was higher than I was expecting. This year my MF increased by an average of 2.78%, less than what I was expecting. Overall, I've very happy with this years increase.

Thanks for posting the new MF.

I will now need to figure the budget and payments. I had not thought about the MF yet, too busy planning for the holidays and my next trip to DL!

I understand some increase but the percentage seems out of whack. I forgot that the value of things in florida especially real estate have risen. As for trusting the management. It is a business so the more Clair show profit the better she looks. When you get into allocations and things do you really believe that this is done at an arms length. They can have different companies and different management but in reality aren;t they real one company under the Walt Disney Company umbrella. I like what I own it just seems like the increase is out of line this year.

Each DVC resort is legally a separate "condominium." Each condominium is audited by independent, external auditors who will audit the allocation of expenses from the Walt Disney Company, and make sure that the rationale is sound. Can staff make mistakes that aren't caught by the auditors? Sure. Does fraud sometimes happen? Yes, upon occasion it does.

As someone who worked as an external auditor for 10 years, I will tell you that it is always a good thing to maintain your skepticism and to ask questions. Mistakes (and fraud) tend to happen when people get too complacent. However, we must always be careful to reserve judgment until we have all of the information. :thumbsup2

Each DVC resort is legally a separate "condominium." Each condominium is audited by independent, external auditors who will audit the allocation of expenses from the Walt Disney Company, and make sure that the rationale is sound. Can staff make mistakes that aren't caught by the auditors? Sure. Does fraud sometimes happen? Yes, upon occasion it does.

As someone who worked as an external auditor for 10 years, I will tell you that it is always a good thing to maintain your skepticism and to ask questions. Mistakes (and fraud) tend to happen when people get too complacent. However, we must always be careful to reserve judgment until we have all of the information. :thumbsup2

Since the President of DVD/DVC and a couple of other upper managers were fired last year when the Aulani due numbers were called into question, it makes one wonder if other resorts developed by the same team also may have had dues issues.

:earsboy: Bill

I bought $800 worth of Disney gift cards from Target and paid $722 for them. It looks like I'll have to get one more $50 card (for $47.50) which will make my total out-of-pocket cost about $790. I love Target! I'm saving about 9% on my MF's

how did you get the gift cards cheaper there, may I ask? thanks!

The Target RedCard (both the credit and the debit card) give you a 5% discount on all your purchases. The Disney gift cards are considered "entertainment cards" so they qualify for the discount. They recently sent out a coupon for 5% off your total, in addition to the regular 5%, so I used that to buy by $800 in gift cards.

Here's how it worked out...
...$800 - 5% coupon = $760
...$760 - 5% RedCard discount = $722

There's several threads about it on the budget board::yes::.

I just got my budget for Aulani and the subsidized dues are $4.6990, NOT the $4.7716 that is listed on the first post.

I just got my budget for Aulani and the subsidized dues are $4.6990, NOT the $4.7716 that is listed on the first post.
Does that amount include the property taxes? Sometimes, those are listed separately in the budget letters.

lauriegs said:

Just an FYI for those living in Texas...HEB is running a deal on gift cards thru this tues or wed where you can buy $300 for $250 with the in-store coupon. I bought enough to pay my annual dues yielding a 17% savings!

Does that amount include the property taxes? Sometimes, those are listed separately in the budget letters.

Property taxes are included. Here is the breakout:
(excuse the formatting)

Operating Budget 5.6761
Capital Reserves 0.7807
Property Tax 0.4710
Build-out Subsidy (0.6749)
Developer Credit (1.5539)
Total 4.6990

In 2012 the developer credit was 1.4813. If the credit was the same in 2013, then then dues would have been 4.7716. But... the developer credit increase along with the dues. The dues for the subsidized contracts will go up the same percentage as the non-subsidized contracts.

I'm not understanding why the percentage of increase is different for Aulani pre vs post July27, 2011. Shouldn't they both increase by the same percentage?

kristenrice said:
I'm a little surprised at the 4.4% increase for AKV. I usually budget for a 3% increase so that caught me off guard. OTOH, only 1.4% for HHI was a nice surprise:goodvibes. It looks like my MF's will be about $870 this year. I bought $800 worth of Disney gift cards from Target and paid $722 for them. It looks like I'll have to get one more $50 card (for $47.50) which will make my total out-of-pocket cost about $790. I love Target! I'm saving about 9% on my MF's:banana:.

I have $40 deposited every two weeks into my online savings account which I use to pay our MF's every year. We bought our HHI contract direct last January and financed it. Since I budgeted about $1050 for MF's and I am only paying about $800, I can take the extra $250 in the account and make an extra payment on the loan:cool1:,

Can you fill me in on paying your fees via gc? My son's school sells gcs and we get a percentage back so I like to buy them through his school. Thanks!!

Ok I saw a post that you just have to call in to do it right? What if we spread them out over the year, it just takes off the cost at the end of the year, does anyone know?

Haven't gotten any letters yet but since this is our first Jan with DVC, how can I figure out what our bill will be for 2013? Is it online yet or how do I calculate it...not sure how to figure this out.

yeh these numbers aren't working for me! I was under the impression that my dues were still for the whole year, but I see on the contract page it is prorated for 310 days...grr. Driving me nuts haha

hidingmickey said:
Can you fill me in on paying your fees via gc? My son's school sells gcs and we get a percentage back so I like to buy them through his school. Thanks!!

Ok I saw a post that you just have to call in to do it right? What if we spread them out over the year, it just takes off the cost at the end of the year, does anyone know?

Haven't gotten any letters yet but since this is our first Jan with DVC, how can I figure out what our bill will be for 2013? Is it online yet or how do I calculate it...not sure how to figure this out.

You can't pay with a GC monthly. You have to pay the whole thing upfront in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter