DVC Budgets

iheartglaciers

DIS Veteran
I was comparing the budgets for Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Copper Creek (only because I own at those three, so these were the budgets I could view) and was wondering why certain items vary so much. For instance, why are the transportation budgets so different?

I know Boardwalk is bigger than Beach Club, so maybe they run more buses, but it's more than double!

Boardwalk - $2,006,522
Beach Club - $907,005
Copper Creek - $1,303,930

Also, I thought the numbers for member activities was interesting but I guess CCV divides this cost with BRV.

Boardwalk - $903,321
Beach Club - $959,345
Copper Creek - $318,291

In past BLT discussions, the resort divided shared expenses based on individual occupancy of DVC vs Cash.

If a resort had 100 rooms and 4 people stayed in each DVC room (200/ DVC guests day) while 2 people stayed in each cash room (100/ cash guests day) then DVC would pay for 2/3 of all shared expenses even though it were allocated 1/2 the rooms.

It’s possible that since the Beach Club cash side is so popular with families that the cash side has higher occupancy than the BWI cash side (which may have more convention guests)

I was comparing the budgets for Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Copper Creek (only because I own at those three, so these were the budgets I could view) and was wondering why certain items vary so much. For instance, why are the transportation budgets so different?

I know Boardwalk is bigger than Beach Club, so maybe they run more buses, but it's more than double!

Boardwalk - $2,006,522
Beach Club - $907,005

Also, I thought the numbers for member activities was interesting but I guess CCV divides this cost with BRV.

Boardwalk - $903,321
Beach Club - $959,345
Copper Creek - $318,291

Interesting information, thank you for sharing. I'm also surprised the cost of transportation at the Boardwalk versus Beach Club, I can't imagine it cost more than double...disneynutz is right, "DVC's best kept secret" lol

Boardwalk - $2,006,522
Beach Club - $907,005

Boardwalk - $903,321
Beach Club - $959,345
Copper Creek - $318,291

I took a quick look at VWL after you posted this to compare and it is higher than Copper Creek which doesn't make sense as it's a smaller part of the entire resort. Something seems off.

BWV has 532 rooms, BCV has 282 rooms. Son it should have almost twice the amount of people to move. This would be my guess on transportation costs.

I took a quick look at VWL after you posted this to compare and it is higher than Copper Creek which doesn't make sense as it's a smaller part of the entire resort. Something seems off.
VWL has been sold out, CCV has not been sold out yet. I think once it sells out CCV will be paying a little more. VWL has 181 rooms and CCV 210 rooms.

BWV has 532 rooms, BCV has 282 rooms. Son it should have almost twice the amount of people to move. This would be my guess on transportation costs.
The cost difference was a rather big issue several years ago. IIRC, the method used to calculate the cost to each resort was explained as dividing the cost of shared transportation by the number of stops. At each stop, the cost was apportioned according to size of resort & average occupancy. BCV is a much smaller proportion of the YC/BC/BCV complex than BWV is of the BWV/BWI complex.

I don't remember all that went on, but again, IIRC, BCV's share of the transportation cost may have gone up a bit as a result of the brouhaha. BWV's did not. Maybe some of the others who were around during that time have better memories of it than I do. I'm not sure if the posts are even searchable from back then.

As The Jackal posted, CCV is not fully declared. Also average occupancy may not be the same. BRV studios can sleep 5 and 5 are allowed in the 1 bedrooms. Not true for CCV. Hard to make good comparisons until the first budget after a resort is sold out.

Last edited:
As The Jackal posted, CCV is not fully declared. Also average occupancy may not be the same. BRV studios can sleep 5 and 5 are allowed in the 1 bedrooms. Not true for CCV. Hard to make good comparisons until the first budget after a resort is sold out.

Not declared into the association but is open and needs to be paying. I don't know how they work that for the budgets so we'll see. I'm assuming that it is a budget for CCV in total and that DVC/Disney just is paying their portion of it. If not then it appears the CCV is over paying and I doubt that which is what led me to believe it is the costs allocated to CCV as a whole. And I did account for occupancy differences when analyzing it.

The cost difference was a rather big issue several years ago. IIRC, the method used to calculate the cost to each resort was explained as dividing the cost of shared transportation by the number of stops. At each stop, the cost was apportioned according to size of resort & average occupancy. BCV is a much smaller proportion of the YC/BC/BCV complex than BWV is of the BWV/BWI complex.

I don't remember all that went on, but again, IIRC, BCV's share of the transportation cost may have gone up a bit as a result of the brouhaha. BWV's did not. Maybe some of the others who were around during that time have better memories of it than I do. I'm not sure if the posts are even searchable from back then.

Back in 2004, there was a mistake in the transportation accounting uncovered by DVC owners.

The DVCMC accountant explained that the Epcot Resorts transportation costs were being allocated using a fixed cost split and then a variable cost split:
1) Split the total Epcot Resorts transportation costs by 33/33/33 for each resort group: Swan & Dolphin / Boardwalk Villas & Boardwalk Inn / Yacht Club & Beach Club & Beach Club Villas.
2) For each resort group, the costs were then split based upon guest usage (occupancy).
BCV 19% / YC & BC 81%
BWV 58% / BWI 42%.

After being challenged to validate the transportation costs, the DVCMC accountant discovered that the boat costs were not being allocated properly for BCV. This was corrected in 2005.

There was also a discussion about the "fairness" of doing the 1/3 split first between the resort groups before allocating the costs based upon guest usage (occupancy). Part of the difficulty of sharing the transportation costs entirely based upon usage (occupancy) may have stemmed from the Swan & Dolphin not wanting to share occupancy data with DVCMC, and this may be why they did the 1/3 split first.

Based upon the accounting practice at the time, the definition of a "stop" was a resort group: (1) Swan & Dolphin; (2) BWV & BWI; (3) YC & BC & BCV and not the actual number of "stops" that a bus made. Which was 2 stops at S & D, 2 at YC & BC & BCV, and 1 at BWV & BWI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter