• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

DVC/Cruise/Credit

walter

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if you use DVC points and this would be the first cruise, are you eligible for the $50 shipboard credit offer from the "Insider" magazine.

Hi Walter. I don't know what time frame you are looking at, but in the Spring 2001 VM there is a list of different level cabins and how much shipboard credit each one is allowed. I believe this is only for this fall when you use points to book. I am in a cat 5 for 11/10 and the article says I am entitled to $150 ship board credit. We'll see how this works out then. Anitla

Walter..
I cruised in August of this year and tried very hard to receive the credit for first time cruisers. All I got was an enormous run-around. DCL told me I had to take it up with DVC; DVC told me exactly the opposite! Finally I spoke with someone who seemed to know what they doing and they explained that the DVC rate is considered to be already greatly discounted and therefore ineligible for any further credits. I don't know how they arrive at that because if you use the common rental price of $10/pt, I could have rented my points, used that cash to pay for the cruise and still ended up with several hundred dollars in my pocket. Go figure that one.....Initially I felt like a fool for using points for the cruise, but I really didn't feel like going through the hassle of renting points and we were using the cruise as our primary vacation. I have heard that it is often advantageous to pay for the first 2 passengers with points and then any extras or children with cash. Good luck trying to get the credit and please let us know if you succeed!

Anita, I am also in a Category 5 on the 11/10 Magic using the discounted points. I did not see any reference to the shipboard credit on my confirmation. I am assuming that is normal and I won't' have to raise a ruckus later. We will be in 7596. Why is deck 7 supposed to be more desirable and a higher category. It sounds like the deck level is the only difference between Cat 6 and Cat 5. The point cost was the same so I booked the Cat. 5. Just curious if anyone out there knows. Also, if we are return cruisers, will we still get the Castaway present if we cruise on points? Thanks. Kathleen

Hi Kathleen. I just assumed that the credit would be there. I think that I will bring a copy of the VM page with me just in case. I also have to call MS to arrange a car rental, so mayby I'll ask them. I'll keep you posted. Anita.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter