DVC has stopped returning borrowed points to original use year

Wakey

DIS Veteran
Whilst I can understand not allowing banking, they have reportedly also stopped allowing people to return borrowed points.

We international visitors in particular may not be able to get over for 18 months.

DVD needs to free up all its cash inventory and let us return cancelled borrowed points to original use year.

I agree that whilst it’s v disappointing we cannot have unbankable points banked.

They could spread points over say 5 years it necessary.

This could badly damage DVC if this whole situation is not handled better IMO. And I know, a pandemic is obviously not good for timeshare.

Stay safe all my fellow DVCers.

Yes, we heard many reports about that this started Monday. I was successful Friday..though borrowed them back when I booked August.

Maybe, they decided to stop it because they knew it would be overwhelming to the system if it lasts long but are working behind the scenes to come up options that are legally possible?

Hope so Sandy. I could be losing hundreds and hundreds of points if this goes on a long time. But I know we are all in the same boat, albeit I do think domestic visitors will be back long before we are.
I may have a Grand Cali and Copper Creek rental going mid July if we can’t get over but it’s open again......

Hope so Sandy. I could be losing hundreds and hundreds of points if this goes on a long time. But I know we are all in the same boat, albeit I do think domestic visitors will be back long before we are.
I may have a Grand Cali and Copper Creek rental going mid July if we can’t get over but it’s open again......

So true. You really are at a much larger disadvantage with the travel restrictions right now.

It certainly would be easier for DVC to decide later on, if the number of points are not overwhelming, to allow the putting back of borrowed points, then do it and realize, it can’t work.

I hopefully have a stay using my banked points from 2019-Feb UY. I went ahead and used 90, 2020 points for a late January trip, that will be canceled if the August trip is possible. So, from what I trying to understand, I will not lose my 2020 points, but they and all my 2020 points must be used by Jan 31, 2021. Is this correct?

I think they are accepting the fact that they aren't going to be closed just till the end of the month. I hope they consider perhaps declaring all of DRR into inventory to create extra inventory. They have tried to do the best for all their customers it seems.

Sandi said they can't take them as cash rooms and make them available as per Florida law, but could they declare then into the association. Seems that's how its done anyway., just not all at once.

I think they are accepting the fact that they aren't going to be closed just till the end of the month. I hope they consider perhaps declaring all of DRR into inventory to create extra inventory. They have tried to do the best for all their customers it seems.

Sandi said they can't take them as cash rooms and make them available as per Florida law, but could they declare then into the association. Seems that's how its done anyway., just not all at once.

Yes, they could do that. What I don’t know is that if it’s declared, who pays the dues on those points, If not declared and cash rooms, costs aren’t part of the membership...I think.

Like I said, hopefully, they are trying to figure out what can be done legally, if anything now that most of us agree that opening back up April 1st is not likely.

I still say they could give Disney gift cards with $$ per point being lost. I'd be happy with my annual dues back. Though they could go up to like $10pp (my BW points used were $7.36 in dues and HH were $9.10). I have 165 points that will be lost if we can't go May 30- June 4. A $1650 gift card will be nice as then I can use for ticketing the next time we can go. I have January booked for marathon.

I hopefully have a stay using my banked points from 2019-Feb UY. I went ahead and used 90, 2020 points for a late January trip, that will be canceled if the August trip is possible. So, from what I trying to understand, I will not lose my 2020 points, but they and all my 2020 points must be used by Jan 31, 2021. Is this correct?
Points banked from a Feb 2019 use year can be used to pay for nights from 2/1/2020 through and including 1/31/2021. I am assuming that your late January trip is for 2021. If you cancel that trip, the banked points expire on 2/1/2021 (end of your 2020 use year) , but the 90 points from 2020 could be banked if you cancel before your banking deadline for those points (September 30, 2020).

Reactions: rlk
Points banked from a Feb 2019 use year can be used to pay for nights from 2/1/2020 through and including 1/31/2021. I am assuming that your late January trip is for 2021. If you cancel that trip, the banked points expire on 2/1/2021 (end of your 2020 use year) , but the 90 points from 2020 could be banked if you cancel before your banking deadline for those points (September 30, 2020).

Thanks, CarolMN. That is what I thought, but just wanted clarification.

I still say they could give Disney gift cards with $$ per point being lost. I'd be happy with my annual dues back. Though they could go up to like $10pp (my BW points used were $7.36 in dues and HH were $9.10). I have 165 points that will be lost if we can't go May 30- June 4. A $1650 gift card will be nice as then I can use for ticketing the next time we can go. I have January booked for marathon.

Big question would be where does this money come from? I could see dues being reimbursed if there was an insurance payment that covered it,

But, other than that, I can’t think of how they could.

Big question would be where does this money come from? I could see dues being reimbursed if there was an insurance payment that covered it,

But, other than that, I can’t think of how they could.
Well I don't see how the govt can give every person $2000 but they are considering. For DVC...it would have to come out of the massive profits they have been raking in the past several years. Of course they don't have to but not a good look to let all these peeps with expiring points just lose them thus losing $$$$ and not getting the product they paid for. They booked a room, not with cash but with points, but still they aren't getting that room. And there is a monetary loss. I know most folks want what those points are worth, which is more than annual dues, but I'd think it fair if we just got dues back. And if a Disney gift card then we'd need to use and put that $$ back into Disney.

Well I don't see how the govt can give every person $2000 but they are considering. For DVC...it would have to come out of the massive profits they have been raking in the past several years. Of course they don't have to but not a good look to let all these peeps with expiring points just lose them thus losing $$$$ and not getting the product they paid for. They booked a room, not with cash but with points, but still they aren't getting that room. And there is a monetary loss. I know most folks want what those points are worth, which is more than annual dues, but I'd think it fair if we just got dues back. And if a Disney gift card then we'd need to use and put that $$ back into Disney.

The government can do that because the people will eventually pay that money back plus interest in taxes. No each person won't be getting a loan that they have to pay back, but we the American people pay the taxes that will pay for that, eventually. It has already been said this stimulus will be paid by borrowing money.

I hear you and it certainly is frustrating. But, who Knows, maybe when this is done, DVC and parks and resorts will come up with some special deal for good will,

Just curious how many members, if DVC said that they would reimburse members something but it would be paid for through an increase in dues, would vote yes,

I'm trying to be very hopeful that my May 31st visit to AKV wont be impacted but this isnt looking very promising. The CDC current guidelines call for up to 8 weeks of social distancing. This would be the middle of May... Praying for the best, but expecting the worst.

Whilst I can understand not allowing banking, they have reportedly also stopped allowing people to return borrowed points.

We international visitors in particular may not be able to get over for 18 months.

DVD needs to free up all its cash inventory and let us return cancelled borrowed points to original use year.

I agree that whilst it’s v disappointing we cannot have unbankable points banked.

They could spread points over say 5 years it necessary.

This could badly damage DVC if this whole situation is not handled better IMO. And I know, a pandemic is obviously not good for timeshare.

Stay safe all my fellow DVCers.
I hope there's been a bit of a misunderstanding regarding this situation because the DVC notification dated today (18th) says, under the heading Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy
that they will replace points to the use year they were borrowed from :)
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/travel-information/

Sounds like they changed there minds again

Man, I would really like to be a fly on the wall with those executives.

Yes, we will. Wait, no lets keep things in place. On third thought, maybe we should do relax this rule,

Now, could this mean that they know or anticipate opening sooner rather than latter? Or, someone just couldn’t take the massive amount of calls and emails they got about changing rules every other day.

Glad for those who can call back And have them moved back. Still worried about the effect on the system moving forward

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter