DVC questions- feeling overwhelmed

There's a lot of good info posted above and I know it's a huge decision. I've only owned for a couple of years and wish I had found these forums before I bought.

I think a couple of key things to ask and apologies if I missed responses to these above: 1) how far in advance do you typically plan your vacations (11 months or more like 7 months)?; 2) how many times per year do you want to/plan to visit?; 3) do you envision wanting to visit Disney versus go elsewhere via RCI or DCL etc.?

We bought resale BLT in 2014 and don't regret it at all.

We chose BLT because of the extra bathroom in the 1BR and 2BR units. Plus BLT seems to be one of the best priced resale resorts (based on price per point and annual dues). AKL Kidani also has the extra bathroom.

As your kids get older, you will need the extra space. Keep that in mind. We do 1Br for short trips (3 or 4 nights) and a 2BR for week or longer trips.

I always book BLT 11 months in advance and then move if we want to. Sometimes we do move to a different resort, sometimes not. We have used our points at: OKW, SSR, VGF, Poly.

We bought resale BLT in 2014 and don't regret it at all.

We chose BLT because of the extra bathroom in the 1BR and 2BR units. Plus BLT seems to be one of the best priced resale resorts (based on price per point and annual dues). AKL Kidani also has the extra bathroom.

As your kids get older, you will need the extra space. Keep that in mind. We do 1Br for short trips (3 or 4 nights) and a 2BR for week or longer trips.

I always book BLT 11 months in advance and then move if we want to. Sometimes we do move to a different resort, sometimes not. We have used our points at: OKW, SSR, VGF, Poly.
Im still learning alot as far as this dvc goes, what do you mean by you move if you want to?

Hi there,
My family is considering buying into DVC after our recent trip to WDW. We have two kids(aged 1.5 and 3.5 right now) and know we want to take them to disney multiple times in the future. With all the information out there I'm feeling overwhelmed on making the right choice for us. Wondering if someone can just be blunt and honest to me for the questions I have.

- Is it really worth it?
- Is it better to buy right from DVC or on the 2nd market?
- If buying on second market are you stuck at only one resort?
- Are there big pros/cons on buying straight from disney vs resale?
- If in the future we feel its not worth it for us any more is it hard to resale what we have?

Thanks in advance!

1) I recently wrote a post about how as soon as we starting doing DVC rooms, it was hard to go back to regular rooms. Are the DVC rooms worth it? Yes. Do we spend MORE money as a result, YES. But, our vacations feel like vacations. Previously we would be up at dawn and come back from the parks well after dark. By the end of our trips, we felt like we need a vacation from our vacation. Now, we enjoy the parks rather than become exhausted in them. We know we are coming back so not doing something on this trip isn't as big of a deal.

2) This used to be a really easy answer of YES. However, with some of the changes that they have been making with the new resorts, I'm less inclined to think so. For example, we go to Disneyland more often than we go to Disney World. So if we buy resale, we probably can't stay at the new Disneyland DVC they are building unless they change their policies. We also can't stay at any of the other future resorts that they build. They might not build anymore, but I highly doubt it. Also, there are some perks that you miss out on. In the past this has been cruise discounts (30% off the year we joined), Moonlight magic, Epcot Lounge, special ticket offers, etc. It can be argued that none of these would make up for the savings from buying resale, and I kind of go "eh..." 22-50 years of no perks is actually a fairly long time to say you will never make up the difference. I personally have probably saved 4-5k from the member benefits. To be fair, quite a bit of those savings could also be achieved with an annual pass.

3) You are only stuck at one resort if you buy Riviera. I personally wouldn't buy any of the new resorts resale because you would be limited to just the one resort. You aren't going to save very much and it isn't worth it. You'll see why in my food for thought below.

4) Disney is very much about making you happy as soon as possible. You will see the points in your account very quickly. They will do a Welcome Home booking and try to get you rooms where there would otherwise not be availability etc. The process is really quick and painless. I've bought a couple contracts resale and it is agonizing finding the contract you want, negotiating with the seller, waiting for ROFR from Disney and finally getting the contract on your account (it can take up to 2 months total), and chances are that you bought a stripped contract because you wanted the best price. So now you have to wait a year or two before you can take advantage of it. But you can save a LOT of money.

5) Reselling a contract is not hard. You pick a broker, price the contract at the market rate, get a buyer, sell the contract and pay about 10% in commission. However, as the Legacy 14 get closer to expiration, I don't think any of them will hold their value as well as they have in the past. Even having some of the newer resorts like Polynesian will probably suffer because it will get to the point that buying resale at Polynesian will only give you access to a few resorts. That is several years down the road, but something to think about.

Some food for thought:
We bought 200 points in Riviera direct recently. If you are disciplined you can "save" some money. Riviera has 50 years left on the contract. If you buy direct and pick a use year that is April or later, they will give you the 2019 points. You will also have the 2020 points and the 2021 points that you can borrow. Points through brokers are currently paying out at $15.50-$16 a point. If you take all of your points (2019-2021) and rent them out, that will reduce your cost basis by $46-48 a point and you will only lose "2" years of your contract (since the 2019 points aren't counted in the 50 years from what I can tell) This takes the cost of the points from $195 a point to about $160-$165 a point after you take into account annual dues for the 2020 (prorated) and 2021 years.

This effectively took our cost basis from $195 + Incentives = ~$175 - $30 = $145 a point direct.
With current incentives and 200 points, it would $195 + Incentives = ~$180 - $30 = $150 a point direct.

Does this strip your contract? Yes. Does it make the cost quite a bit more palatable? Yes. Reducing your cost by almost 20% by only giving up 2 actual years is a pretty good deal. This approach does rely on people wanting to rent at whatever resort you are wanting to buy direct.

Resorts that this would work at:
Animal Kingdom
Bay Lake Tower
Beach Club
BoardWalk
Polynesian
Riviera
Grand California (You can't actually buy this direct, but if you are looking resale, then you could)
Grand Floridian

You can rent points from any resort, but you will get less for your points and will be subject to the 7-month booking window.

Also, you could do this with a resale contract, but they tend to be stripped (have no points available and no points left to borrow) which makes it less feasible.

Final Thoughts:
If you are planning on reselling, I probably wouldn't buy. But with respect to resell for the next 10-15 years, the Legacy 14 would probably be best bet. I think Riviera benefits from proximity to Epcot and that makes it a desirable resort. I don't think they could have put these restrictions on something like Saratoga Springs or Old Key West and been even remotely successful.

You are probably going to spend more money, but will enjoy your vacations more. We would have never thought to do a 10-day WDW trip. But we are planning one right now. The only thing we have to think about is food, tickets, and transportation. Paying cash for the whole trip would never have happened. I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. Also, we have found that we tend to take people with us. Grandparents, sibling families etc. 2-Bedroom villas are a great use of points.

Having a nicer room (especially with young kids) is just so much nicer. I've done DVC and I've done regular hotel rooms and I know what I prefer.

Since you have young kids, I would plan on getting enough points for staying in 1-bedrooms or 2-bedrooms and bring another family. There are a couple reasons for this.
1. Studios book up super fast. So if you aren't at your home resort, you probably aren't going to get one unless you are staying at Old Key West (OKW) or Saratoga Springs.
2. With young kids, you can put them to bed and still have a separate room you can go to and watch TV, play games, talk etc without worrying about disturbing them.
3. Having a separate bedroom for the kids/adults is just much nicer.
4. Availability of 1-bedrooms across all the resorts is much higher. You will have a much better chance of getting 1-bedrooms than any other room category at the 7-month window. The rooms taken are typically Studios, Grand Villas, 2-Bedrooms and 1-Bedrooms in that order.

As has been mentioned before, buy where you want to stay because that is the only place that you are "guaranteed" to be able to get the room you want when you want. There may be some places where you can't always, but most of the time if you book at 11 months, you will get what you want. Also smaller resorts are much harder to get anything at 7 months than places like OKW, Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas (except Value rooms).

OKW and Saratoga Springs almost always have availability for everything until 2 months before a trip. Usually even closer than that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edits: Punctuation

Last edited:

Im still learning alot as far as this dvc goes, what do you mean by you move if you want to?
If we decide we'd like to stay at a different resort, we can move to our reservation to that resort when our 7 month window opens. For example, we did a 10 day trip two years ago. I booked a 2BR at BLT at 11 months out. The day my 7 month window opened, I moved our reservation to a VGF 2BR. I had to use more points to move to VGF, but I had enough points so I was able to do that.

FWIW, we have 400 BLT points broken into 2 contracts with the same use year. We always have enough points for our trips (usual 2-3 times a year).

Specific to the direct vs resale excepting riviera and assuming you want the points to stay at Disney, there is virtually no reason to buy more than the minimum required for a blue membership card direct. Even that is primarily a payback calculation for annual passes assuming that you will be at disneyworld more than 12 days within any 12 months.

After that especially given the likely decline in resale costs over the next few months, resale is the obvious best value.

I predict much lower prices coming, especially for resale, so you might want to wait.

I was lucky when I bought in 2012 when prices were at thier lowest after the housing crash. It was luck for me, but you can plan it.

Specific to the direct vs resale excepting riviera and assuming you want the points to stay at Disney, there is virtually no reason to buy more than the minimum required for a blue membership card direct.

This entirely depends on what you expect in the future. If we are expecting them to build no future resorts, then I agree with you. However, that isn't likely to happen. Additionally, since we go to Disneyland more often than we go to Disney World, and they are planning on building a new DVC resort in Disneyland, then we have to either buy there resale, or buy direct to be able to take advantage. It could be argued that we could stay at the Grand Californian, but unless you own points there, it isn't likely.

As we get closer to expiration on the original L14 resorts, they will become less valuable and resale value will only hold based on the quality and value of the actual resort. For example, Saratoga Springs would not have the resale value that it currently has if it was not able to be used elsewhere.

A couple final thoughts:

Disney may introduce something later for resale members to purchase to "upgrade" their points. If this happens, then members will have to weigh the value differently than they currently do. I'd imagine that resale prices would probably be the cost of direct - upgrade cost = approximate resale value.

I bought into DVC originally so that we could enjoy our vacations more, and while it has facilitated savings on accommodations, savings weren't the primary driving factor.

I am also subject to Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO). So that definitely influenced my most recent decision to buy direct.

.....(snip).......Disney may introduce something later for resale members to purchase to "upgrade" their points. If this happens, then members will have to weigh the value differently than they currently do. I'd imagine that resale prices would probably be the cost of direct - upgrade cost = approximate resale value.

I would expect the cost to upgrade to be equal to DVD's profit margin for current builds. Can't imagine why they would care what resale price is as they get nothing from that. IMO, that will be a lot more than most who post here would be willing to pay.

I would expect the cost to upgrade to be equal to DVD's profit margin for current builds. Can't imagine why they would care what resale price is as they get nothing from that. IMO, that will be a lot more than most who post here would be willing to pay.

I think that resale prices will change based on the upgrade cost, not the other way around. Depending on the cost, resale may go a bit lower, but I expect that the upgrade cost will affect resale prices.

For example if Direct is $200 and upgrade cost is $50, resale prices likely won't be over $150.

I think that resale prices will change based on the upgrade cost, not the other way around. Depending on the cost, resale may go a bit lower, but I expect that the upgrade cost will affect resale prices.

For example if Direct is $200 and upgrade cost is $50, resale prices likely won't be over $150.

I think any upgrade program would be buying en equal number of direct points to upgrade resale points,

So, if you own 150 resale and then add on 150 direct, all 300 points become eligible to book all resorts.

I think any upgrade program would be buying en equal number of direct points to upgrade resale points,

So, if you own 150 resale and then add on 150 direct, all 300 points become eligible to book all resorts.

That is an interesting idea. I hadn’t thought of that but I can see the appeal for both sides. More points for the buyer and direct sales for Disney. Assuming they do it, it would be interesting if you had to buy direct for the resort that your resale points were attached to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter