DVC Rental Store vs Davids

CSpork

Earning My Ears
We have extra points that we will not be able to use. In the past we have used David's but we are hesitant after reading all the reviews post shutdown of WDW for Pandemic. Has anyone used DVC Rental Store for their extra points rental lately??? Thanks much!

Used David’s but didn’t like the way his business handled things during pandemic and the terms of his new contract so won’t use them again.

Not sure though I’d go through any company again and just do it on my own if I am renting to a stranger.

But I have some friends and family that are DVC so they sometimes check with me or I do a transfer which i much prefer

Recently, I rented several times on the disboards rental thread. It meant answering lots of PM's but was successful within a couple days. Spend sometime reading the "ads". It isn't that difficult!

Last edited:
I think it is better to control your own destiny and rent your own points, but for sure, I would avoid David and go with DVC rental store if those are your only two choices.

David’s doesn’t take your social security number. I would go with them if choosing between the two. But really I would just rent them myself.

Rent them yourself. If you don't have the time to answer a lot of emails I would use David's and have in the past and had no issues .

We have extra points that we will not be able to use. In the past we have used David's but we are hesitant after reading all the reviews post shutdown of WDW for Pandemic. Has anyone used DVC Rental Store for their extra points rental lately??? Thanks much!

I've used DVC Rental Store. They do issue a 1099 and I find their website easy to use. Compared to Davids, you can opt to get an email. Or you can claim it from the open listings.

Based on what I've seen, if you have Poly points; it'll be an easy rental. If you don't, there may be a bit of a wait. In the past couple of months I saw open claims for mostly Poly, one Riv, one VGF. My AKV and CCV points have sat for months.

I agree with others to rent on the board. It IS a major pain in the butt. Responding to IMs, multiple date searches. Some request a dozen searches but don't actually book even if they are available. But the good side is that they rent out pretty quickly.

I think renting in the current environment becomes a question of who will give you the best value, make the process as simple as possible, and protect you in the event of unforeseen circumstances that are now fresh in our memory.

In all of these areas, I feel like DVC Rental Store has excelled in learning from the past year and has used it as an opportunity to distance itself from competitors such as David's.

- In terms of price, DVC Rental Store has pulled away now, offering up to $16 per point for points rented.
- I think it is also worth noting their new payment policy on reservations. Instead of sitting around waiting for the majority of your money, DVC Rental Store is going to pay out 75% of your payment upfront at the time a reservation is booked. This is a huge deal since they are actually paying out 75% of your money after only receiving 25% from the person renting the points!
- With the pandemic ongoing and the fear of other strains, etc., thrown around in the news, knowing that you are well protected is also something you should consider. You can comb through these boards and read some real horror stories about how David's handled this situation and how their new policies protect themselves and not their customers. DVC Rental Store looked at how to protect all parties moving forward and came out with what I think is a very well-thought-through cancellation policy to protect against future unseen events.

For all these reasons, it seems demand is huge right now with DVC Rental Store, and I don't think you would have any trouble renting your points quickly.

It's definitely smart to look at all your options. I would encourage you to do your own research and make a decision you are comfortable with, but I do personally believe you'd be extremely happy with DVC Rental Store.

Just rented 2 contracts. had them listed with Davids and DVC Rental Store. Contacted by Davids for both, never heard from DVC Rental Store. Was paid $15.5 per point.
The biggest difference I saw was DVC Rental Store wanted my login information to verify the points and manage the rental. That wasn't going to happen. With Davids, I had to make the reservation and email them the information. Davids paid 70% up front. Both times paid the day the rental was verified.
Neither has happened yet. Will I regret it? Time will tell.

Just rented 2 contracts. had them listed with Davids and DVC Rental Store. Contacted by Davids for both, never heard from DVC Rental Store. Was paid $15.5 per point.
The biggest difference I saw was DVC Rental Store wanted my login information to verify the points and manage the rental. That wasn't going to happen. With Davids, I had to make the reservation and email them the information. Davids paid 70% up front. Both times paid the day the rental was verified.

Just curious whether David's contract with owners still has a clause where you are responsible for comparable accommodation if the reservation somehow is not available to the renter. That to me is a major liability.

LAX

I don't see anything in the Rental Store agreement about them managing the reservation. Very much the contrary in that the DVC Member is responsible for making all changes and additions. They do ask for the reservation number so it can be verified. This all seems pretty much the same for both companies.

Just curious whether David's contract with owners still has a clause where you are responsible for comparable accommodation if the reservation somehow is not available to the renter. That to me is a major liability.

LAX
I don't see that in the Intermediary Agreement. David's has a "Force Majeure" clause saying the Member must return all funds collected in case of Disney cancellation or closure. I'm not sure, but I think this is opposite in the Rental Store's agreement, in that the Guest is out of luck in the case something goes wrong outside the control on the Intermediary or Member. But the Rental Store offers cancellation coverage for the Guest. So in this case, the Rental Store seems much more Member-friendly.

I tried two brokers early this year and heard crickets. In the past I've used mostly brokers but it just didn't work this year.

On disboards, I had all points rented in a few days. Yes, it is more work but my priority was to rent points not stress about a broker matching me.

I politely reply to all PM's and quickly learn who is wasting my time. I was clear about expectations and capacity to be flexible and answered all questions honestly. The people who rented were enthusiastic, serious and paid promptly. I met some great Disney families who I expect to further assist in years to come.

I plan my listings so I'm available for a couple days as I don't want to spend weeks renting points. I focused on renting and got it done. It's been a pleasure helping families get a dream Disney vacation!

If you want to rent from a private owner, we have the Rent/Transfer board, You simply respond to an owner offering points. You would not be allowed to post any other request anywhere else.

If you want to use a broker, like discussed, visit their websites. Here are the two discussed:

https://dvcrentalstore.com/(board sponsor]

https://dvcrequest.com/
If you want to rent from a private owner, we have the Rent/Transfer board, You simply respond to an owner offering points. You would not be allowed to post any other request anywhere else.

If you want to use a broker, like discussed, visit their websites. Here are the two discussed:

Ok. Thank you.

I used Davids last year for 2 contracts after points built up due to cancelled trips.
Was very happy to have them take care of all the admin parts. Very easy to work with.
Renting your points directly works if you want to deal with the money collection, etc.

I also used David's in 2019 for 2020 and recently. Never had an issue and you will not get a 1099 from David's because they are in Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter